spirits Pepper infused vodka

Not sure how it will turn out but I partially de-seeded 5 not so hot habanero / scotch bonnet type peppers which is drowning in 500ml of Vodka. I will leave this concoction in the fridge for a week, then I guess i will pull the peppers out and pour the content back into its original bottle which has 250ml of vodka in it that I didnt infuse. Hoping to get some heat, but also some of the scent and taste of the hab in there.

ouch.jpg

Let us know how it turns out. I think you should take it out of the fridge and put it in a dark place and leave it there for at least a month.

Hi guys, I have thought about leaving the peppers in there (but not boiling it as I'd imagine the alcohol will preserve anyway), but everything I see online says to only leave stuff infusing for 2-5 days. Not sure why that is.

I use to do Chinese tonics with Chinese herbs. To get the essence of those herbs this is what I did, it might have been even longer than a month.

I'll try a small taste after a week and see. If there is not much of a flavor, I'll leave it for another couple weeks and re-visit :) I'll definitely let you know how it turns out.

Not sure it I am correct or not, just what I have thought about this, but I think that boiling it forces the infusion to be stronger. Forces the peppers to release more of the oils and flavoring. I have made a spicy vodka for hot martinis with habanero or jalapeno stuffed olives, and to make spicy bloody marys. I normally put 4-10 peppers depending on the heat and boil it for a couple of minutes, let it cool, put it in the fridge, and give it a shake every couple of days. Always turned out pretty good. Im interested to hear how yours turns out. I have never done it just by letting it soak. I am curious if it will have a different flavor or intensity. May have to do an experiment with a few different methods. Good luck. Enjoy!!!

If you at the first page of The Buzz forum there are three threads that might help you. Hab vodka, pepper vodka and spicy alcohol.

Would boiling it evaporate the alcohol quickly though? I'll also let you know how it turns out. I have a feeling it will be quite spicy but not so much that it will be unusable. Well I hope anyway.

Not sure it I am correct or not, just what I have thought about this, but I think that boiling it forces the infusion to be stronger. Forces the peppers to release more of the oils and flavoring. I have made a spicy vodka for hot martinis with habanero or jalapeno stuffed olives, and to make spicy bloody marys. I normally put 4-10 peppers depending on the heat and boil it for a couple of minutes, let it cool, put it in the fridge, and give it a shake every couple of days. Always turned out pretty good. Im interested to hear how yours turns out. I have never done it just by letting it soak. I am curious if it will have a different flavor or intensity. May have to do an experiment with a few different methods. Good luck. Enjoy!!!

I have boiled for a few minutes before, and did not see (Feel probably a better word) any loss of efficacy. :beer: I have some bhut vodka, and some hab vodka. I dont remember where, but I have been contemplating some Ciroc infused with Fataliis. Both have sweet overtones and are delicious.

I put two bhuts in a bottle of absolute on 12/04/09 and now they look like ghost chilis. One thing I can say is you did good taking the stems off, I failed to do that and you can taste it in the vodka. Just give them enough time and the heat will leak out trust me, this stuff is hotter than I can describe. Nothing goes bad in vodka. I like the picture you took very much but really want to know what type of vodka you put it in!
YDgZm.jpg

edit: the bourbon is effecting my vocabulary or spelling not sure which.

i did a fatallii vodka and it came out good.. one or two fatallii's in 750ml of vodka and stuck it in the freezer.. it was pretty hot only after a couple of days.. one good way to keep mrmel away from my vodka :) be careful if you end up mixing it with soft drink - the spicy bubbles go up your nose and make you sneeze :)

i did a fatallii vodka and it came out good.. one or two fatallii's in 750ml of vodka and stuck it in the freezer.. it was pretty hot only after a couple of days.. one good way to keep mrmel away from my vodka :) be careful if you end up mixing it with soft drink - the spicy bubbles go up your nose and make you sneeze :)

WHOA are you serious ..burning bubbles...OMG.....what a trip...I got to try that.

As lazienfat said, just let it sit for a while and the colour will come out of the chillis along with the heat. I've got a bottle of 92% moon shine with 2 orange habs and 2 red 7 pots and the chillis are now like in lazi's pic. And my moon shine is slightly yellow in colour from the oil that leached out of the 7 pots. It is filthy hot and if you drink more than a nip you will most likely throw up if you aren't used to it :D

I use either dried whole peppers, or dried flakes and us this basic recipe supplied by Defconcreator
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/815-hot-vodka/page

"Quite a simple recipe actually, but great for parties.

Take a liter of GOOD vodka, open it, don't drink it yet.
Take a teabag, fill it with dried crushed orange habanero flakes.
Fill a teabag (or two) with the flakes and put it in the vodka.
Sit it in the sun for TWO days.
Take it of the sun and put it in a dark place for 3-4 days.
Remove the teabags and enjoy!

Really good stuff for a bloody mary."

"I have tried both ways, and the powdered orange habs in a teabag will kick the heat up way more than whole peppers. It has to do with the amount of surface area the alcohol hits, and there is far more surface area ina couple teabags than there is with a whole peppers. Give it a shot, you'll be pleasantly surprised. The whole peppers look a lot cooler for show, but if you want heat, bag it!"

As lazienfat said, just let it sit for a while and the colour will come out of the chillis along with the heat. I've got a bottle of 92% moon shine with 2 orange habs and 2 red 7 pots and the chillis are now like in lazi's pic. And my moon shine is slightly yellow in colour from the oil that leached out of the 7 pots. It is filthy hot and if you drink more than a nip you will most likely throw up if you aren't used to it :D
I'm sure its a great hot product but if its slighly yellow then my guess is that its probably not really oil as much as just pigment, it would probably go yellow even if you used yellow bells wouldn't it?

Edit: Ok I just re-read this. I thought you were using yellow pods and getting yellow oil. I also thought cap oil was red?

Thanks for the recap Potawie. I've been using that formula for years, and have never had a problem. The vodka come out HOT. Not only have you increased surface area inside the teabag, if you use dried peppers, you don't have to deal with the useless fluids within the pepper, like water.

Back