• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper paradise...

...well, not quite, but the plants seem to be doing well so far. Following on from my first post in the welcome forum, I thought I'd post some photos of my own patch of peppers.

These photos were taken whilst the plants were still in the glasshouses waiting to be planted out in open beds in the polytunnels. I spent last weekend planting peppers out in one of the tunnels and will fill the other two as and when I get the time. This year I'm growing the following varieties:

1. Poblano
2. Jalapeno
3. Hinkelhatz
4. Scotch Bonnet
5. Naga Morich
6. Habanero
7. Chocolate Habanero
8. Peach Habanero
9. Cveta Hot
10. Romanian Giallo
11. Aji Limon
12. Aji Yellow
13. Santa fe Grande
14. Thai Extra Hot
15. Long Slim Cayenne
16. Ring of Fire
17. Cherry Bomb
18. Hungarian Hot Wax
19. Senor Serrano
20. Bhut Jolokia
21. 7 Pot/7 Pod
22. Trinidad Scorpion
23. Orange Bhut Jolokia
24. Fatalii

Ring of Fire
ringoffire010509a.jpg

Jalapeno
jalapeno010509a.jpg

Hungarian Hot Wax
hotwax010509a.jpg

Cveta Hot
cvetahot010509a.jpg

A few more photos.

Hinkelhatz
hinkelhatz010509a.jpg

One of the glasshouses
chilli010509a.jpg

Polytunnel number two with chillis planted out
polytunneltwo050509a.jpg

Nice plants!
Can you tell me something about the Hinkelhatz-variety? It sounds German/Hesse. Translated it would be Chickenchase...

Hello Andy, the seed supplier stated that Hinkelhatz is an heirloom variety developed by the Pennsylvania Dutch. Apparently it's often pickled. Google shows the translation as 'chicken heart', although I'm sure that you know more than I about that.

That's one hell of a glasshouse/tunnel setup you've got there. Oh, the things I could do with that here in the winter. ::sigh::

Tim said:
Hello Andy, the seed supplier stated that Hinkelhatz is an heirloom variety developed by the Pennsylvania Dutch. Apparently it's often pickled. Google shows the translation as 'chicken heart', although I'm sure that you know more than I about that.

Yeah, meanwhile I found the same info. German and Dutch are similar languages so a lot of words are easy to translate. But some words aren't. We should ask Lee about it.

Tim you are too damn organised, neat, tidy and clean!!!!!!!!!!!! which i thinck we should all be but i think lazy wins out most times!!

Thanks guys. It's my first year growing chillies, so it's been a bit of a baptism of fire. I've been growing other types of plants for a long time though, so I suppose that helps. The most time consuming work has been converting the insides of the polytunnels into open beds.

Davetaylor said:
Tim you are too damn organised, neat, tidy and clean!!!!!!!!!!!! which i think we should all be but i think lazy wins out most times!!

If only you knew the truth, Dave! I make sure I don't point the camera in the direction of the mess. I swept the glasshouse floor just before I took that photo of it :-)

Hi Tim,

Looks like your doing very well and should end up with plenty of lovely pods.

Your not too far from me - I live in Rushden, Northamptonshire near wellingborough if you know it.

I talk on this forum as well http://firefoods.phpbbhosts.co.uk/index.php where you may find more specific answers for any problems.

I meet up with a chap from Stamford every few months (somewhere central) and we go for a beer and chat chilli and exchange seeds ect. Shouldnt be a problem if you want to join us sometime.

Chris

Toleman said:
Hi Tim,

Looks like your doing very well and should end up with plenty of lovely pods.

Your not too far from me - I live in Rushden, Northamptonshire near wellingborough if you know it.

I talk on this forum as well http://firefoods.phpbbhosts.co.uk/index.php where you may find more specific answers for any problems.

I meet up with a chap from Stamford every few months (somewhere central) and we go for a beer and chat chilli and exchange seeds ect. Shouldnt be a problem if you want to join us sometime.

Chris

Hi Chris, I hope I do end up with plenty of pods; at the moment I am a kept man (although I do look after our eight month old little boy), and this is a new business venture, so the more pods, the better! I don't think it will ever make me rich, but then I have never aspired to be.

I do know Rushden; not too far from me at all. Stamford is even closer, about 30 minutes straight up the A1.

An offer of chilli talk and beer? Sounds good...:-) As long as I'm not carrying out my parental duties, I'd like to join you sometime.

Sounds good Tim - I will send you a message on here or firefoods (if you decide to join) when we next arrange to meet.
Firefoods pass the parcel will be off again soon which is good to get your hands on some new varieties (100s in there) and you basicly just add some and take some.
There is also a yearly sauce comp and a few of us met up in Farnham for the judging at the end of last year. plenty of beer, sauces were consumed that night:lol:

So is your plan to sell sauces, Pods or plants?

Chris

Toleman said:
So is your plan to sell sauces, Pods or plants?

All of the above, although it looks like I won't have enough plants to sell for this year. I'll be selling at Farmer's Markets and local garden shows to begin with. Everything is being sorted out regarding the environmental health side of things at the moment and I hope to be up and running by the end of July or early August.

Back