• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Pepper seed covers won't come off seedling.

The seed covers won't come off the baby leaves on my 'Limon' pepper seedlings. How do you get them to come off? Is there a way to cut them off..or will I cut off the leaves that are in there? I cant pull them off. I pull up the seedling out of the soil.

So I have a couple of seedlings with the seed covers on the top...they look like lollipops! Will they eventually fall off? All the other pepper seed overs came off..but not on this one. Any ideas on how to free the first baby leaves so they will grow ?

Don't pull them off with your fingers... thats the worse thing you can do

You can try one of two things:

1. Use a spray bottle and spray the seed casing with water. It should soften the seed casing, and then you can delicately use tweezers to pry the casing off. Just dont force it, if the thing doesn't want to come off on 1 or 2 soft yanks, then leave it for the next day
2. Just let it go, it should naturally come off

gday dude, this has been discussed about a zillion times on these boards. do a quick search and you should find a few threads.

my advice, leave them alone and they will eventually come off. if you are desperate to remove them give a very gentle tug and if it doesn't come off try again two days later. the seed case won't hurt the young seedling but ripping the seedling in half surely will.

Ya, leave em alone. They'll be fine. If you get truely worried, cut em off.

Generally when the seed casing is still on, it means that the seed was planted to shallow. Plant em a little deeper and you should be fine.

I broke the head off one as I was moving the tweezers away from the one I was working on
After that I don't try surgery anymore
It's just not worth it

or the seed was planted in a cube with a hole in the middle ie. rockwool or rapid rooters.. : ). i wet the seed wait a minute, tug gently, and if that doesn't work i squeeze it from the two edges of the seed to sorta crack it, but only if the seedling is getting leggy. works almost all the time.. but i have had practice and failure

I try and leave them. occasionally after a few beers I feel a bit more daring and like TPP said, gently squeeze the egdes of the seed hat to loosen it. I have killed many seedlings though and they always fall off eventually. I guess a slightly set back seedling is better than a dead one.

I always thought beer and chillies were like chalk and cheese. Maybe they meant when consuming the chillies, rather than trying to pry off the seed casing ;)

There's an Indian restaurant that I go to that I've manage to convince the owner to create a heat level called "MiLK_MaN hot". I noticed the hotter they try and make the curries, the more Kingfisher beers I seem to consume.

So maybe you are right :P

Back