• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pepper Tattoo?

Go BIG or dont get one. And dont just walk into a shop research it and ask for portfolios

I totally agree, I think the first step is to find a shop your comfortable in, look at the work the artist does. Best thing I think is to sit and talk and work with an artist about a design and what your looking for, most artists will draw original designs for you for $30 dollars or so, usually that also goes toward the price of the tattoo. I get my work done by a friend of mine in Reading, and I usually spend a couple months thinking about and designing a tattoo. I'm gonna be getting a new one in a few weeks and I've been working on it since October. Take your time and be patient, it's your money and your body get what you pay for.

A painting teacher of mine who had a couple of tattoos gave the whole class some great advice regarding them. If you can't write a multi-page essay on why you want the tattoo and what it means to you, you probably shouldn't get it as you will regret it later in life.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, but you definitely want to give it a whole lot of thought before you do.

I don't need a multi page essay to explain my tattoos, it get them because I like them or because I think the design is badass. I got my first tattoo when I was 18 and now 11 years later when I look at it I'm reminded of all the memories from that point in my life and who I was then and how I've changed. Unless you get shitty you wont regret it. Idosimon I'm not ripping on you or anything, just coming from a guy with plenty of tatts and I think your teacher should shut his gob. oh and I hear people say "what about when you in your 70's what then?" This is my reply

09ecc375_tumblr_lzg5w9dCPx1qbo9ygo1_500_large.jpeg

I have one tattoo that I got when I was 18 years old. I couldn't wait to get one, and I thought it was great for a while. That was before everyone and their grandmother had tattoos. Now that I'm older, I wish I had never got it. I know many people that got tattoos when they were young, and none of them like those ones anymore. To each their own. All I'm saying is don't rush it just because you really want a tattoo. I remember being 16, and I often rolled my eyes when older people tried to give me advice. It's totally normal, but believe it or not, you will get wiser with age.

I am an independent consultant, and most of the work I do is related to HR (human resources) systems, which means I work with a LOT of HR folks. Over and above questions others have asked above (are you going to like it 40 years from now, etc.), is whether it will impact your career choices in the future. Note that I am not against tattoos in general - if you really want one and can say it works for you now and in the long run, I say go for it, from a personal perspective. But from an HR perspective, you should consider:

- Have you yet identified what your future career will likely be yet?
- Are tattoos common among people in that field?
- Is the technology in that field changing? If so, if that field becomes obsolete in the future, what is your "backup field" to switch to? You need to ask these same questions about your backup field.
- Consider there used to be no Internet; no one had an idea such drastic changes would be coming. What if some huge technological breakthrough occurs that makes both your primary career goal and your backup career goal obsolete?
- Is the size/shape/placement of the tattoo such that you could cover it with clothing if your career depended upon it? If so, consider environmental factors: no one wants to wear long sleeves in the middle of summer in Southern U.S.
- If tattoos are acceptable in your initial career goal, are they acceptable through the chain of command? In other words, if you go from having a "line" job in which tattoos are acceptable to a management job where they are not, are you possibly limiting your future career advancement?

If you can say to yourself "I'm going to become an aircraft mechanic and many people in that field have visible tattoos, and while technological changes in that field will occur, it is most likely that through the course of my career having tattoos won't be a problem", then it's unlikely that getting something easily visible would be a problem. There are professional careers (most notably in creative fields such as graphic design) in which tattoos are simply considered to be individual expressions of creativity, and no one cares. But if you are going to work, say, in the finance department of a company (finance tending to be a very conservative career), then you should probably consider getting something that is easily covered. Even if you are going to work for yourself, such as I do, what kinds of attitudes might your potential customers have about tattoos, and are you willing to accept that you will lose out on business opportunities if you have visible tattoos? The fact is that some people make faulty assumptions about people with visible tattoos, such as they assume people with tattoos are drunkards or druggies. Can't get away from that, unfortunately. So if you're going to go with something that is hard to hide, understand that this is something you need to learn to deal with, and getting angry is not a productive response.

So yes, consider it carefully, not just in light of your current desire, but also in light of your desired career options. Again, some careers are fully open to people with tattoos, all the way from the janitor to the president, while others are even downright closed. Don't be afraid to call some people or even HR departments of companies that have your desired career field, and ask how they feel about them. Don't take just one response, though, get several.

@tyler

What's your parents say about you getting a tattoo ???
After all, you are sixteen and need their consent. Don't you?
well i was 15 when i got my first tattoo and my mom was the one that gave me the money for another one..

I don't need a multi page essay to explain my tattoos, it get them because I like them or because I think the design is badass. I got my first tattoo when I was 18 and now 11 years later when I look at it I'm reminded of all the memories from that point in my life and who I was then and how I've changed. Unless you get shitty you wont regret it. Idosimon I'm not ripping on you or anything, just coming from a guy with plenty of tatts and I think your teacher should shut his gob. oh and I hear people say "what about when you in your 70's what then?" This is my reply

09ecc375_tumblr_lzg5w9dCPx1qbo9ygo1_500_large.jpeg
thanks inkfreak i agree with all that you said.. i dont think you need a essay on why you should get a tattoo... if you like it and its not stupid then get it..

I have one tattoo that I got when I was 18 years old. I couldn't wait to get one, and I thought it was great for a while. That was before everyone and their grandmother had tattoos. Now that I'm older, I wish I had never got it. I know many people that got tattoos when they were young, and none of them like those ones anymore. To each their own. All I'm saying is don't rush it just because you really want a tattoo. I remember being 16, and I often rolled my eyes when older people tried to give me advice. It's totally normal, but believe it or not, you will get wiser with age.
Thanks for replying muskymojo

I am an independent consultant, and most of the work I do is related to HR (human resources) systems, which means I work with a LOT of HR folks. Over and above questions others have asked above (are you going to like it 40 years from now, etc.), is whether it will impact your career choices in the future. Note that I am not against tattoos in general - if you really want one and can say it works for you now and in the long run, I say go for it, from a personal perspective. But from an HR perspective, you should consider:

- Have you yet identified what your future career will likely be yet?
- Are tattoos common among people in that field?
- Is the technology in that field changing? If so, if that field becomes obsolete in the future, what is your "backup field" to switch to? You need to ask these same questions about your backup field.
- Consider there used to be no Internet; no one had an idea such drastic changes would be coming. What if some huge technological breakthrough occurs that makes both your primary career goal and your backup career goal obsolete?
- Is the size/shape/placement of the tattoo such that you could cover it with clothing if your career depended upon it? If so, consider environmental factors: no one wants to wear long sleeves in the middle of summer in Southern U.S.
- If tattoos are acceptable in your initial career goal, are they acceptable through the chain of command? In other words, if you go from having a "line" job in which tattoos are acceptable to a management job where they are not, are you possibly limiting your future career advancement?

If you can say to yourself "I'm going to become an aircraft mechanic and many people in that field have visible tattoos, and while technological changes in that field will occur, it is most likely that through the course of my career having tattoos won't be a problem", then it's unlikely that getting something easily visible would be a problem. There are professional careers (most notably in creative fields such as graphic design) in which tattoos are simply considered to be individual expressions of creativity, and no one cares. But if you are going to work, say, in the finance department of a company (finance tending to be a very conservative career), then you should probably consider getting something that is easily covered. Even if you are going to work for yourself, such as I do, what kinds of attitudes might your potential customers have about tattoos, and are you willing to accept that you will lose out on business opportunities if you have visible tattoos? The fact is that some people make faulty assumptions about people with visible tattoos, such as they assume people with tattoos are drunkards or druggies. Can't get away from that, unfortunately. So if you're going to go with something that is hard to hide, understand that this is something you need to learn to deal with, and getting angry is not a productive response.

So yes, consider it carefully, not just in light of your current desire, but also in light of your desired career options. Again, some careers are fully open to people with tattoos, all the way from the janitor to the president, while others are even downright closed. Don't be afraid to call some people or even HR departments of companies that have your desired career field, and ask how they feel about them. Don't take just one response, though, get several.
WOW geeme you win for the longest respondse and i actually read it all and asked my self the questions.. im planing on going into the culinary field and tattoos arnt uncommon.. my second choice would be a paid fire fighter and again tattoos are not uncommon... my first tattoo i got on my forearm but in the north east coast it never gets HOT so a longsleeve wouldnt matter..

LOL - Yeah, I can get long-winded, but a lot of people don't consider these things, and they are important for your future. Glad you took the time to consider them!

Your right Gee people don't think about those things, I am we'll on my way to a full chest and sleeves, I'm also an engineering major, and not many people have visible tattoos in my field, BUT, I also don't have anything that would be visible outside of a long sleeved shirt. I'm aware that there are things one may get a tattoo of that they may not like in 5, 10, or even 20 years, but I firmly believe that if you get a tattoo and a few years later regret getting it or just don't like it then you got it for all the wrong reasons. Tattoos are a form of art, they are a way for one to express themselves on the outside. for me my tattoos are part of who I am, they are part of my identity, I have tattoos of things I don't like anymore, but I still love my tattoos, they show where I've been, and who is was, and who I am. If you are really that passionate about peppers take your design and print it out, fold it up, and put it in your wallet, put it in a place where you will see it everyday, give it a couple months and if when you see that piece of art and you still want to get it, we'll then you can be pretty sure it not a bad idea.

Ya if you go with one, do one thats not to small and one that doesn't have names that will change over time, you might think about getting one painted on first to see how it will look on you. If you have never had one before having one painted on will allow you to change your mind if you don't like it or want to change it in some way. I have two which I got over seas during the Vietnam war when I was just a kid, one still reminds me just who gets the most out of wars mainly Fat Rats that get rich where good men die, but the rats look like they are in bad shape now, maybe I should have gone with the Jets and Napalm. Times change and so do people opinions on body art, just remember it cost more and hurts more to get one removed.

If you are really that passionate about peppers take your design and print it out, fold it up, and put it in your wallet, put it in a place where you will see it everyday, give it a couple months and if when you see that piece of art and you still want to get it, we'll then you can be pretty sure it not a bad idea.
Nice advice thanks!

If you are really that passionate about peppers take your design and print it out, fold it up, and put it in your wallet, put it in a place where you will see it everyday, give it a couple months and if when you see that piece of art and you still want to get it, we'll then you can be pretty sure it not a bad idea.

That's pretty much exactly what I did, except I thought about it for a couple of years instead of a couple months. It is a drawing I did when I was 16 yo. I'm not saying I hate it. It doesn't really bother me. I'm just saying if I could do it over again, I wouldn't have it on my forearm today.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, Tyler. It makes absolutely no difference to me. Just sharing my experience. That's all. :P

I agree with some of what Inkfreak83 has suggested to you. My wife and I both have plenty of tats - (the wife actually has more than me. She's just finished her 3rd sitting on her full sleeve and still has a away to go yet) When ever either of us has been thinking of getting some more ink done we have always "lived" with the design until we are fully sure that it is what we would like to have on our body's. I keep mine above my laptop so when I'm working it's always there in my view. That is the best piece of advice I heard before getting my first tat and that's the first piece of advice I give to anyone who's thinking about getting a tat also.

Also I have to mention (this is only my opinion and one that got me into trouble once) that getting a tattoo done is for you only and should not be whether people will like it or not. It's your body so it's your tattoo, nobody else's. I say it got me into trouble once because a few weeks before our wedding my wife wanted to get a half sleeve done on her other arm so it would be in the photos etc but was worried about what her mum would say...I replied with "well it don't matter what your mum thinks because it ain't her arm that's being tattooed" The future mother in-law was only round the flipping corner at the time...doh!

Anyway..whatever you get done mate, don't rush into it. You ain't going know where and you can bet your shirt, that tattoo ain't going anywhere once done. Go prepared with as much material and designs as you can get and asked them to draw you up a design (will have to pay for it) and then live with it and make adjustments until your 1000000000% happy with it. ALL of our tattoos are one off's..you don't want the same tat as someone else.

Good luck on your decision and get it done!

Pete

what happens when you start experimenting with eggplant farming?

look for cool eggplants pics, i guess

If it doesn't impact your employability, go for it.

I used to have a "nothing below the t-shirt line" rule for myself.

Not because I care what other people think, but because I know the world is full of judgmental people, and in my line of work (project management) it would have been a distraction that would have created challenges .

If a simple handshake becomes a potentially offensive gesture, or causes me to have to fight for credibility then it wasn't worth it.

Now I am a full time sauce guy - We'll see what happens.

But one thing's for sure - a tattoo is a deeply personal experience. If you're asking THP what to get, you're not ready for it.

lucky, your other job played out?

hope the sauce business works out for you, you have put some effort in.....

good luck

lucky, your other job played out?

hope the sauce business works out for you, you have put some effort in.....

good luck

Thank you Armac.

Not exactly "played out"… In fact when I gave notice, my boss asked me to stay.

But the sauce biz is going pretty good, my farmers markets are booming, and it's nice to have the extra time to build the business & put even more effort into making hot sauce.

It's tough to focus on any one thing when you're serving two masters. I may or may not make it, but at least Going to put in the full effort. :cheers:

Other note, this voice to text app Leaves all lot to be desired.

Back