• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Trvia

Pepper Trivia:
Archaeologists
have discovered
evidence that humans
were chomping on ?XXX? peppers,
called ?XXX?,
during prehistoric times —
as far back as 7500 B.C.

To the 1st person who can name that pepper, I will send you 20 free seeds of that pepper!!!

All good guesses

Hint: according to the article I read and quoted, the archeological discovery took place in Mexico.

***The answer needs to be specific***

I did a little research on this also, and from what I learned the first chiles were grown and eaten in South America specifically Ecuador and Southern Peru around 6100 years ago. I do not know the species though. I am curious to know which one was first in Mexico. I am guessing Aji Amarillo for the South American chile and the habanero is probably the answer you are looking for for Mexico even though it migrated from South America and the Caribbean to Mexico first. I do know that a fossil of a habanero was found in a cave in Peru and dates to over 6000 years ago.

willard3 said:

chiltepin to be more exact! ;) ..........lol

Pepper Trivia:
Archaeologists
have discovered
evidence that humans
were chomping on wild chiles peppers,
called chiltepins,
during prehistoric times —
as far back as 7500 B.C

I too say chiltepins

Edit: "Archaeologists in Mexico have discovered evidence that humans were chomping on wild chiles, called chiltepins, during prehistoric times — as far back as 7500 B.C.

The Tarahumara Indians of the Sonoran Desert in Mexico believe that chiltepins were the greatest protection against the evils of sorcery. One of their proverbs holds that "The man who does not eat chile is immediately suspected of being a sorcerer." The Papago Indians of Arizona maintain that the chiltepin "has been here since the creation of the earth."

Popular folklore holds that Texans love chile Piquins so much they eat them right off the bush. In fact, their infatuation is so great that Piquin-heads rarely travel far from home without an emergency ration of the tiny pods, either whole or crushed, in a silver snuffbox or pillbox. Texans also reputedly use the chile Piquin in place of soap to punish children for using "cuss words."

The winner is Willard3!!!
with a consolation prize to Trinicoolieboy for using the internet to find the article that I was quoting.
Willard3, PM me your address for the seeds.
Trini, they'll be some extra seeds for you in your mailing.

Back