• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppers 2008

Thread moved. Growing topics go here please.

Update for April 2008

Ok...so my tomato plants are now growing out of control and I still have a month and a half before I can plant out...
DSC00972_edited.jpg

My Chilli plants looking good...
DSC00979_edited.jpg

My thanks to AJ, Pam, Habman, Scorpion, and Trinnihottie for some great seeds!....it really looks like I'm going to have a great harvest this year....

good looking plants Daisy...those scorpions look mean already...

Continued

Can't wait for my Kashmiri Chillies....
DSC00977_edited.jpg

Eggplants....
DSC00973_edited.jpg

Artichokes...
DSC00963_edited.jpg

Still deciding on some more varieties and veggies to add to the garden but I am quickly running out of room....:onfire:

Daisy...theres always room for one more...

Thanks guys ....it looks like everyone's got an impressive growlist and a lot of healthy plants this year....if all goes well with my chillies I think I'm going to try to hybridize some varieties....

Also, my Ethiopian Thunder seeds still have not broke dormancy, but I contacted the Great Chilli Farm in S. Africa and they sent me replacement seeds (Inferno and Red Top) so it should be interesting to see what these varieties are going to be like...

The chilli varieties I have germinated and growing now are.....
Kashmiri
Pepperocine
Thai
Zimbabwe Birdseye
Baby Chilli
Gunter Hope
Inferno
Red Top
Tobago Seasoning
Bean Shape Pod
Red Bell Hot
Cherries
Lanterns
Scorpion
7-Pot
Scotch Bonnets
Aji Lemon
Hot Lemon
Lemon Drop
Wild Tepin
Congo Pepper (Red)-(from Habman...thanks!)
Red Bell Sweet (got from pepper at market)
Hungarian Death (Amish heirloom)

My Broome chile seeds just broke dormancy, and they've been in the pots since the first week in February. Thanks to Bent for sending them to me.

Hey Daisy - I wonder how is your Kashmiri mirch plant doing? Is this your first year of growing it? BTW - I picked up some Kashmiri Chili Powder from local Indian store. The powder tastes smoky; low medium heat. In my opinion this is good for adding extra flavor in Meat Stew and chilies.

Kashmiri_Mirch.jpg

Hi Sanj,
My Kashmiri plants are growing like weeds (the seeds pre-sprouted in only 1 day!) and I have had to pinch back the plants twice to control the growth, which has resulted in a lot of branching and more shoots...this is my first year growing them but I think they will do well!....I love their flavor and color for tradional Goan cooking...is Badshah (this means "king"?)a good brand for Kashmiri chilli powder?

If they're sold in an upper class store, they MUST be high quality, otherwise they'd never sell it!!! How can you qustion that. Keep in mind that expensive goods are always the best!

;)

rainbowberry said:
You can buy dried Kashmiri chillis in one of the 'upper-class' supermarkets over here but I'm not sure how genuine they are.

Did you ever try germinating any seeds from them??? It would be interesting to see what you would get:onfire:

I've never bought them but I think about buying them every week when I go in there. It wouldn't be to late for me to start them (they're Annuums arn't they?) It would be interesting for everyone who grows them to compare pods. I'll buy them and see if they germinate.

What I'm Growing (Other than Chillies and Veggies)

In addition to the chillies and tomatoes....I also grow (as herbs and spices).....
Genovese Basil
Thai Basil
True Greek Oregano
English Thyme
Culinary Lavender
Mammoth Sage
True Rose-Scented Geranium
Rosemary
Sweet Bay
Blood Orange

Kaffir Lime...for Thai Cooking
DSC00966_edited.jpg

Curry Leaf Plant....for Indian cooking....
DSC00969_edited.jpg

rainbowberry said:
You can buy dried Kashmiri chillis in one of the 'upper-class' supermarkets over here but I'm not sure how genuine they are.

Hey Rainbow - Try indian grocery store. I bet they have some genuine Kashmiri Chili. You probably will find the same brand as well. It was very cheap, 99 cents for 300gm her in CO, US.

Daisy - that kaffir lime tree looks nice. It will go well with Tom Yom Soup... :mouthonfire:.

Over in England I've only seen Birds Eye or Scotch Bonnets in the Indian stores. I'm getting around 4-5 kgs of red Scotch Bonnets from an Indian store tomorrow :)

Back