• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peppin' Ain't Easy..."3/5King's 2012"

GLOG =Good Looking Older Gentlemen or maybe Got Lot's of Gas......Today I'm going to have to go with both.....TMI....I think not.

So this will be my first GLOG. Enjoy Everyone.

Grow List

Brain Strain 7
Jonah 7
Yellow 7
Chocolate Bhut
Peach Bhut
Yellow Bhut
Douglah
Naga Morich
Chocolate Scorpion

Tepin
Pekin
White Habanero
CGN 21500
Fatalii Yellow
Fatalii White
Aji Lemon Drop
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Bonda Ma Jacques
Datil
Long Chocolate Habanero

Should have the grow area set up and seeds germing by February 15th

3/5,
What I do once some of the seeds start to pop through is to remove the plastic dome, and place the flat close to my lights. I never let the top of the soil dry out (to aid in germination for the rest of the seeds) I'll mist the top everyday with plain old water.. I also fill the bottom of the tray with a half inch of water when the tray feels light weight or the soil looks lighter in color. The bottom watering of the trays wicks up towards the top of the medium, helping to water the tap roots from the emerged seedlings.............bottom line , don't let the top layer of soil crust out when the sprouts are young.
Good luck with the rest of your indoor grow...

Greg

Thanks Greg! I took the top off of my tray as soon as the first sprouted. The rest is trial and error with my buddy and I's setup. It dries out extremely fast and the way I told him to water them was wrong. I take full responsibility for them perishing lol. I've already got another 72 seeds soaking and ready to go into a tray to replace the ones that croaked. It's a very good learning experience.

I agree with MrWicks who posted on your GLOG. Don't toss em'!! they are so beautiful and doing so well. I would gladly come down and take any that you didn't want to keep. Unless you are strictly chopping them at the base and tossing them (due to not being in their own cell) then I can understand. Otherwise let me know man. I shudder at the thought of those beauty's getting tossed. YIKES.

I watered my ghetto grow today with some MG Liquafeed. 12-4-8. It's all I have right now and I wanted to give them a little boost. I will keep all posted on the outcome of the adding. I will eventually be using something other than this but for now it's good enough. Later I will pick up some Alaska Fish Emulsion from HomeDepot. Along with worm castings and some other goodies.

Thanks for looking at my glog and all the recommendations, they really help.

So, I've been to my buddies finally and it seems we have the watering issue under control. I've purchased some new stuff for us, we need to pot up out seedlings. They haven't done much in a week. I went with some Organic ProMix from Menards. I have pictures below. Well counting the ones that have died, we have 100/144 sprouted.....we have 64/144 still living....lol. Oh well you live and you learn.

I've planted another tray of 72 to make up for the ones that sizzled in the sun, so to speak. Here is a list of the new chiles germinating.

Red Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Paper Lantern Hybrid
Chocolate Habanero
Ancient Sweet
Red Savina
PI438618
Rooster Spur
Billy Boy Douglah Red
Aji Yellow

I've also started a new ghetto grow.....but I made it not so ghetto now ;) Planted inside are some peppers from the local fresh market, Peach Bhut and Red Habanero. I am impressed with this new Grow Box I constructed. I have two CFL's 2800 Lumens a piece, one is 6500k and one 2700k. The box is 20W 20D 30T, I used a combination of reflective surfaces lol. Mylar wrapping paper on the floor and ceiling, emergency blanket for the front door and these cake serving cardboard 1 foot panels that were lined with mylar, for the back wall. (The serving plates come in a pack of 6, for 4 bucks..not a bad deal and flat as a pancake) I am giving this a test run to see what kind of temps I get inside. I seem to be keeping a constant 80-82 degrees with the front door shut on the Box. It is perfect!

I bought some Alaska Fish Fertz and would like to get some opinions as to how you use this in your growing process. When they have their true leaves all the way up to harvest. ( I assume most follow directions but for seedlings I've heard many of you dilute it 1/4 strength??)

Another question I have, if someone has the answer. If I buy worm castings, is this to be used as the soil, or do you mix it in with your soil??

Let me know what ya think!

Grow Box
IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

The ProMix I am now using and some other goodies
IMG_0801.jpg

Having some setbacks but we are still chugging along, hope to have some problems taken care of soon.
IMG_0802.jpg

White and Choco Habs, left to right
IMG_0809.jpg

Brain Strains
IMG_0812.jpg

Some other seedlings
IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

Keep on truckin king. Your babys look good. Lifes a dance you learn as you go. Lol that was my country back ground coming out.

I started using Fish Fertz as soon as I saw a first set of true leaves to one plant and it didn't hurt it. Otherwise I waited a few weeks. I haven't seen much growth since I added it though.

Also, I've been using it full strength.

Fair warning: It stinks. Don't put it in a spray bottle.

Man am I getting a little bit bummed about my grow. I need to get those seedlings out of that cheap ass Jiffy seed starting mix, into something worth a damn?? I don't know, I mean my seedlings started popping up on Feb. 12 and Today is March 3rd.....The biggest ones are the choco and white habs and those barely have their first set of true leaves. I need to change around something because I look at everyone else's glogs and see some major growth in as little as 2 weeks...It is depressing lol. I'm trying to stay positive, my plants need to start sporting some wood and becoming men. I don't want to fail my little guys. Sunday I am going to pot up, so we will see if this helps...maybe because of the issue I had with watering, it stunted them a little?? I mean they are still growing but at a snails pace. I know I'm going to get a lot of cheering up posts, which I surly welcome....but hard facts would be nice too. We will see what happens after sunday. I'm hoping to pot up and see some major improvement over the proceeding days. As always thanks for looking guys.

By the way I would also like to thank everyone that supplied me with seeds, which made this all possible...I truly appreciate it. I didn't record what came from who and I don't remember everyone I asked but I will try and include all of you.

Cappy-
WrightDaddy-
Kylestl-
2gods-
LunchBox-
SeedTrain Crew 2012-(which is almost back around to me....yikes)
Aji Joe-
Wayright-
Fireman-

I know there is probably someone missing. If I missed you, feel free to stomp and shout so I know to add you :hell:

Just take a look at my Glog to cheer yourself up. Your peppers will be running circles around mine! :rofl:

I'm not to worried though, as my plant out isn't until the end of May. As long as I keep reminding myself of that, everything will be ok...right? :pray:

Bad news-My new flat of 72 that was supposed to replace the seedlings that fried in the sun....the soil was sitting at a chilly 108 degrees. (Don't ask me why, the other trays did great with the greenhouse dome on. Only thing different is these were sowed in Pro-Mix) So I need to start another flat.

Good news- I potted up the 42 of 72 remaining cells into Solo cups tonight. They all look happy. The root growth was better than I though it was going to be and I'm thinking might be why the slowed growth. (It's not a spider web, but I am using cheap Jiffy seed starting mix from Walmart) I'm hoping to see some real good growth in the next 5-10 days.

I plan to start feeding with Alaska Fish Fertz with the next watering. I will also be making some changes to the lighting. Things are moving along a little better. A lot of bumps in the road but I'm working through them as they come.

Brain Strain Pics (100% germination rate by the way. Thanks Cappy!)
IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Jonah 7 Pot
IMG_0869.jpg

Yellow Bhut
IMG_0856.jpg

Peach Bhut
IMG_0870.jpg

Choco Scorpion
IMG_0857.jpg

Choco Hab Roots
IMG_0871.jpg

CGN-21500
IMG_0875.jpg

These next few I'm not sure lol, I think It's Datil, Yellow Fatalii, Aji Lemon
IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

Looking really good 3/5! I wouldn't give up completely on those you think may have cooked. Don't remember who, but someone on here did a test and kept them at 110 degrees for a week, lowered the temp to 85 and still got decent germ rates. Your roots look really good for only first true leaves!

Shane

In 7/8 wks your seedlings will we be lush. Nicer than you can find in a local garden center, and you have the varieties growing that you want. I still have trays of annuums that haven't popped yet. They are fast moving once they're up but I'm looking to start hardening them off in 9 weeks ...

Greg

Damn man! That root growth looks rad for how small the plants are! Thats awesome. Sucks about the 72 tray but maybe stc is right and you shouldnt give up on them yet. good luck!

King - I feel your pain. Having mixed germ results, waiting for the damn things to grow or die... Anyway, I started using 1/4 strength botanicare pro and liquid karma with top watering, switched my light cycle to 18-6 and BOOM. They all have 3/4 sets of true leaves. It was like almost instant in growing terms. I went from cotys to kickass in about a week and a half.

This is my first year ever from seed so I don't know wtf I'm doing! Woooooo hooooooo! Also, I used that jiffy seed starter mix and peat pellets. Live and learn. Kill, maim, over-love, under-love - still trying to find that sweet spot!

Your persistence is going to pay off. Keep it up (your spirits you perv).

@BeeHunter- I think the roots grew so much due to an under watering issue. I've since corrected this and replanted in the red solo cups. I was stoked with the root growth. I think that is why they are so small. Will giving them too little of water, they were using all of their energy to grow roots and find water. Very interesting.

@SethSquatch-I know man, it's a battle but we are gonna kick Chile ass man! I've changed my watering and will be incorporating some Alaska fish fert in my next watering. Alaska is 5-1-1, what is your nutes? I was planing on giving my youngsters only 1/8 strength to start.

Alright here is the most recent update. My buddy Jeremy and I upgraded the Pepper Pent House last night. Since transplanting into the solo cups, things have been going much better. Some of the plants are slightly yellow which I'm hoping will be cleared up by the Alaska fish fertz. (I'm also watching closely to make sure it is not over watering)

I've got the fan going every 2 hours for 15 minutes. I got a humidifier up there now and we have constructed a huge tray to accommodate all that stay at the PPH. The bottom of the tray is made out of 1/8in thick maple and the rails are 3x1/2in Hickory. Spare no expenses at the PPH haha. It came out sweeeeeeet. We took out all of the reflectors and screwed the 4in wide ballasts together. 6 ballast 4in wide=2ft x 4ft growing space. Then I flattened three of the reflectors and shoved them above the bulbs the opposite direction (to make them fit) the other three we lined the sides and the back of the grow area with. The new setup is awesome. Everything is on the up and up.

Since taking the top off of the greenhouse that was accidentally left at 110 degrees for a week, sprouts have started to pop! Two so far. We will see what comes in the next week or so. That is awesome. I will keep everyone informed on the germination rates I achieve out of this 36 count cell (Two seeds a cell)

My new and improved ghetto grow is going along nicely as well. I have 5 sprouts so far. I am going to take about 4 pictures a day and post a time lapse segment in the future. I've been able to manage the soil temperatures at around 79 degrees. The only problem I had was leaving this small fan in the box last night and it pulled the temperature of the soil down to 65 degrees. I was shocked. I'll have to think of something else to get a breeze on them. (the little fan is battery operated)

Thanks for looking guys, hope you're enjoying it. If not GET THE HELL OUT OF MY GLOG.....lol J/K Let me know if there's anything you want to see (picture wise) or know. Anything to make it better for you as the reader.

CGN21500
IMG_1011.jpg

Choco Scorpion
IMG_1010.jpg

Choco Bhut
IMG_1008.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
IMG_1006.jpg

Hickory and Maple plant tray
IMG_0998.jpg

All the happy campers in there newly improved pent house
IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Pepper Pent House fully operational
IMG_1001.jpg

@SethSquatch-I know man, it's a battle but we are gonna kick Chile ass man! I've changed my watering and will be incorporating some Alaska fish fert in my next watering. Alaska is 5-1-1, what is your nutes? I was planing on giving my youngsters only 1/8 strength to start.

I've been following AJs methods with ferts. Botanicare Pro and Karma, 1/2 strength. Also using a weekly airstone brewed compost tea. All my water sits out for 24-48 before use. You can smell the chlorine from the tap. It really stunted them early on. Chile cheers brother!

Hey, 'King, sorry to hear about your mishap, bro. But you have
the right attitude. Your second go around will be a great success!
The seedlings left look very good - they will be tough monkeys! You
got some real heat in your list - good luck getting them off the ground!
As long as the stems aren't shriveled, the others may still have a shot :pray:
The PPH is a way cool space for your seedlings!

@Sethsquatch- I will have to check out your grow to see how big your plants are and what containers you have them in.

@PaulyG- Thanks Paul, Keeping my head up is the only way to go. As long as something is working then I'm happy. I'll get it down. I only get to see the plants around 1-2 times a week. So It's hard to control the enviroment. I have to rely on my buddy. They are doing well though. I have the faith!

Looking good man! Your gonna have to quit calling your set up "ghetto" soon if you keep making these kinds of improvements on it! Good luck with the new Germs.

Oh this grow is different from my Ghetto grow BeeHunter. My ghetto grow has been torn down and made into a sweet little setup too if you ask me. But it is still ghetto....lol Pics are above. Two grows and two different locations.

Back