• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pequin or what?

My son-in-law supplies me with tons of fresh pequin chillis as he has a loaded plant most of the time,
I thought I would harvest the seeds and plant one so I did, it seems to be coming along nicely. Last night he came
over and had a look at the progress and was surprised to see such large leaves on it, he said his plant has leaves about a third the size and a different shape,
he asked me if i was sure I had planted the right seed. I assured him it was one from the chilli he gave me.

I am wondering if anyone else has grown one of these and if it looked the same.

pequin_plant1.jpg

Pic of the actual fruit it came from.

pequin_fruit1.jpg

He has no other chilli plants so I know it couldn't be crossed with something else.

He has no other chilli plants so I know it couldn't be crossed with something else.
If you didn't mix up your seeds, a cross would have been my other guess! That is definitely not a Pequin.

Are you positively 100% sure you didn't mix up any seeds or are any of his neighbours growing chillies?

That looks nothing like my piquins. Mine have much smaller leaves and are more like a bush.

A quick google search and here is a picture of what piquins look like.
47725e.jpg

Are you positively 100% sure you didn't mix up any seeds or are any of his neighbours growing chillies?

Well that was my first thought, but I ONLY had those seeds drying at the time, I planted 3 seeds seperately and got three plants that one and two others that looked totally different way smaller and pointier leaves, I ditched them thinking they were the weaker two and really only wanted one plant anyway. It seems I probably ditched the two genuine pequin and kept the freak. His direct neighbours don't grow chilli?????
Should be interesting when it fruits!

I would bet my entire seed collection that those are tabascos, notice how they have not got stems on them? Bet they are very juicey too AND tabascos produce like mad!

myplants006.jpg

Photo250.jpg

so, guess i am going to destroy all the nay sayers, according to what i have those are pequins. i am currently growing them, of course i just started mine and they are only a 1/2 inch in height.

here is where i got my seeds:

http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/Dried-Pequin-Chiles.aspx

so, unless someone has issue with the tens of millions of pounds that don enrique produces in way of pequins, i am guessing that your peppers, like mine are pequins.now, there are several variations of pequins including long pequin, but i think you can rest assured that what you have are a variety of pequin.

happy growing.

so, guess i am going to destroy all the nay sayers, according to what i have those are pequins. i am currently growing them, of course i just started mine and they are only a 1/2 inch in height.

here is where i got my seeds:

http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/Dried-Pequin-Chiles.aspx

so, unless someone has issue with the tens of millions of pounds that don enrique produces in way of pequins, i am guessing that your peppers, like mine are pequins.now, there are several variations of pequins including long pequin, but i think you can rest assured that what you have are a variety of pequin.

happy growing.
I'm not saying the pods aren't Pequin, I'm saying that the plant doesn't look like one! ;)

To me, the leaves on that plant look way too big to be a Pequin.

Just to put things into perspective, would I be right in guessing that that's a 25cm diameter pot, Oziam?

Ok you have my interest now BC! Still say they are tabascos though!

*runs and hides*

Edit: If i were to be sent a couple of these pods i would glady do a side by side taste test? :D

Ok you have my interest now BC! Still say they are tabascos though!

*runs and hides*

Edit: If i were to be sent a couple of these pods i would glady do a side by side taste test? :D

Or you both could send me pods and I'll taste them both hehehe

I can never get tabascos to produce they never germ well for me and the ones that do produce so late that I only get a handful of pods.

GAS yep a 25cm pot it is!

NOVA pm me your addy and I will gladly send you some pods, all I know is they are pretty hot little buggers, first time I used em I had burnies on my hand for a day, felt like I dipped my hand in boiling water! Once bitten...

Alright! Ima say they are tabascos anyway! Nah just kiddin i will be honest, lucky i still have a tabasco producing at my ma's house. Pm coming :D

Back