• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

PEQUINS from MEXICO

I located PENZY'S SPICE STORE in Southfield and spent good lot of an hour looking at things.
Chili pepper section was disappointing with hardly five or six Mexican and US varieties. They had Dundicuts from Pakistan and Sannam from India. Sadly, the stock was old and discolored.
Surprising find was real good freshest lot of PEQUINS from Mexico.
Ahhhhh. After a very very long wait, I could lay my hands on these tiny beauties.
I got for myself a small bottle of 1 oz for 4.5 Dollars. But it is worth.
The peppers are really hot and they have very tiny viable seeds.
I hope to grow couple of plants this season.

Thanks my friend here to show me Penzy's

NJA

It isn't hard to spend a couple of hours in Penzy's is it NJA? I agree with you on the limited supply of chilli powders but on occasion you can come across some good finds as you discovered. I hope your Pequin seeds grow true and strong for you.

patrick said:
It isn't hard to spend a couple of hours in Penzy's is it NJA? I agree with you on the limited supply of chilli powders but on occasion you can come across some good finds as you discovered. I hope your Pequin seeds grow true and strong for you.

patrick,

The lady at the store had warned me that these are very very hot. It left me smiling.
I chewed on a pod in my car on return trip.

It is good. In line with SANNAM S4 and color is good. Not much pungent though.
I would love to pickle them whole in green state.

NJA

I wonder what her reaction would have been if you popped a couple of them in your mouth in front of her?

If you ever do pickle some green ones I would love to taste one NJA.

patrick said:
I wonder what her reaction would have been if you popped a couple of them in your mouth in front of her?

If you ever do pickle some green ones I would love to taste one NJA.

You mean Tepins?
Yes why not?

patrick said:

But Japanese original WASABI powder (1 oz) is really expensive. 14.50 Dollars....OMG.

yeah, i just got some mexican pequine seeds the other day from this "tex mex" guy at work. his family lives in texas now, but he has more family in mexico who mailed him some seeds or something. anyway there mexican pequines for sure.

i was wondering though. how do these taste fresh? as i ate one that was dry and it seemed all it was, was a bunch of seeds covered by a thin skin. he said there juicy.

anyway i think i will dehydrate them and mak spicy pickled eggs and stuff with them.

PepperLover said:
NJA your name should be the unknown chili hunter your one good source of info about all unknown chilis in the world

I am Honoured......pepperLover.
You see....I am fascinated by chilli peppers .
Please don't feel bad but they are like women,
all different,magnetic,Hot and ultimately they make you cry.:lol:

codykrr said:
yeah, i just got some mexican pequine seeds the other day from this "tex mex" guy at work. his family lives in texas now, but he has more family in mexico who mailed him some seeds or something. anyway there mexican pequines for sure.

i was wondering though. how do these taste fresh? as i ate one that was dry and it seemed all it was, was a bunch of seeds covered by a thin skin. he said there juicy.

anyway i think i will dehydrate them and mak spicy pickled eggs and stuff with them.

I wouldn't say juicy. I rarely use tepins or pequins fresh but they are great dried. Not overly flavorful in my opinion, kind of earthy with a nice burn especially for an annuum. I use them a lot lately in sausages along with a few other types

NJA...since you mentioned tepins...

Pequins came from the tepins through mans selection of more pointed than round pods for seed saving, I have found both to be about the same heat...

Tepins are round, Pequins are bullet shaped....

***ducks for cover***

AlabamaJack said:
NJA...since you mentioned tepins...

Pequins came from the tepins through mans selection of more pointed than round pods for seed saving, I have found both to be about the same heat...

Tepins are round, Pequins are bullet shaped....

***ducks for cover***

AJ,

Thanks buddy.
Mine are pequins. They are Mini Bullet shaped more like Rat droppings as in Thai language.
Will try and post the photo today.

NJA

cool man...I grew tepins and pequins last year...3 or 4 plants each...I grew tepins from two different suppliers and then grew some of the Wild Waco Tepins seeds a buddy of mine gave me...they came from a wild plant down in Waco... :doh:

an interesting thing was when season was over, I just cut the plants off at the soil line in the containers and arranged the pots single tier as tight as I could get them and just let them sit there...winter was not that bad last year as the temperature only got down to 19.5F but the interesting part was the only plants that sprouted in the spring were the tepins...they actually started showing new growth in Mid-Late February...

I just find it hard to have to pick a 1000 pods (or so it seems) to get a pound of them...they are fiery little devils though, I will admit that...when they first ripen on the plant, there is some juiceiness to them but not much...

best use for them I have found is to fire up the fire water...try putting a couple of tepins or pequins in a 750 ml bottle of tequilla and letting it sit about a month...that will get your attention I promise....

AJ,

I am sure lovin 'em small Devils already. I munched on a pod after dinner watching telly. Actually I loved the warm feeling it gave without bothering like Thais.
I am sure I am going to plant a couple of plants because I think that would suffice for an year's pickle.

I am thinking of pickling green ones and ripe red ones.
Both in different spice mix.

Red ones will be with Ginger and Garlic and green ones will be with mustard .

Interesting to know that em beauties sprouted on their own after winter.

NJA

one thing about them is the more you pick, the more they grow...I would not be surprized that a single plant will produce 2K pods throughout the season...or at least my wild ones will....there is one basic problem I have with the though and it is Mockingbirds...if you have mockingbirds where you live, you will surely lose 90% of your crop to them once they start turning red...I finally took some bird netting and staked it over the plants until I got all I wanted/'needed then uncovered it and let the birds spread the seeds of nature...in a couple of years, I will go down to the little "creek" (read drainage ditch that used to be a creek) to see if I can see any seedlings...what a thought, I have grown them for the past three years and I just bet you there are some plants down there....squat, extremely branched shrub...easily identifiable

here are three shots of the plants from 2008 (started in 2007) that I still have the two of now...so this year, they will be 3rd year plants if they come back...

050808a005.jpg

050808a006.jpg

050808a007.jpg

Pequins are definitely one of my favorite chiles.

They make a great vinegar, are great sauced, candied or dried and powdered.

Baby Pequin which is easily overwintered inside here in the north has a pleasant fruity flavor.
Dwarf plant to 10-12 inches tall, 12-14 inches wide.
Fruits are up to 3/4 of an inch long.

2ldqv4.jpg

~DiggingDog

definitely nice plant DDF

AlabamaJack said:
cool man...I grew tepins and pequins last year...3 or 4 plants each...I grew tepins from two different suppliers and then grew some of the Wild Waco Tepins seeds a buddy of mine gave me...they came from a wild plant down in Waco... :doh:

Were any types noticable better in production or flavor. How did the "little elf" plants produce, and were they the normal pequin flavor

AlabamaJack said:
I just find it hard to have to pick a 1000 pods (or so it seems) to get a pound of them
I agree, and I think that's why they've bred machine harvestable varieties. I gave up on growing all small podded varietied last year, but I really missed having one enormous plants always loaded with pods. This year I'm on a mission to grow a tall pequin just to see how tall I can get it.

AlabamaJack said:
....there is one basic problem I have with the though and it is Mockingbirds...if you have mockingbirds where you live, you will surely lose 90% of your crop to them once they start turning red...]

Yea I grew a Florida Bird variety that Scoville sent me. It sure lived up to its name.

Back