• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

PEQUINS from MEXICO

guys,

I think I have found my perennial milking cow. Planting about four plants now. If anyone has really HOT variety seeds, I would love to plant a couple of them.
Please lemme know. I can send some Indian seeds in xchange.

NJA

I am munching a pod right now. Love the tiny tiny bites on the lips and tongue.

POTAWIE said:
What types are you looking for NJA, or just anything really hot? Have you tried fatalii yet?

Oh No. You got me wrong.
What I meant was in Pequin /Chiltepin/Tepin variety which really searing HOT.
What I bought is PEQUINS

4281499159_bc0e6ca402_o.jpg

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Oh No. You got me wrong.
What I meant was in Pequin /Chiltepin/Tepin variety which really searing HOT.
What I bought is PEQUIN

NJA

So you're looking for a hotter type of pequin/tepin? I think most are the same general heat level and flavor. Tepins are the hottest pepper in the world according to some sources:)

Pequins (and bird type peppers)have become one of my favorite peppers, along with the Rocoto for stuffing, and the Aji Amarillo for making sauces. The beauty of the Pequins, is the flavor that it adds to food. Pequin hot sauce has to be the best around.

I'm quickly developing a nice collection of assorted varieties. I have plenty of generic Pequins available for a SASBE/SASE or trade. PM me if interested.

Just an FYI, as I was conducting a search on Cuernavaca Piquins, I found this quote from an article:

"The truth is," continues our source, "people here delight in hopping on their private plane and heading for Paris for dinner. But they secretly carry 'chile piquin' in their overnight bag."

origamiRN said:
Just an FYI, as I was conducting a search on Cuernavaca Piquins, I found this quote from an article:

"The truth is," continues our source, "people here delight in hopping on their private plane and heading for Paris for dinner. But they secretly carry 'chile piquin' in their overnight bag."

origami san,

Watashi Mo so shimasho.

NJA

Actually I am carrying a bottle of Pequins to India for my friends to grow there.
They have about 60 acres of land under cultivation of rice. They would love to try something novel.

NJA

NJA, glad you found a Penzey's near you. I love that place! I've had pequins from a couple of other sources, but Penzey's definitely have the highest quality I've found. The lady at the store in Des Moines told me the same thing about the pequins, warning me they were hotter than a habanero. I think I managed to nod and keep a straight face.

Nakana said:
NJA, glad you found a Penzey's near you.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. I think I managed to nod and keep a straight face.

Nakana,

Thanks buddy for info on Penzy's. Yes, I too had difficulty keeping a straight face.

NJA

POTAWIE said:
. Tepins are the hottest pepper in the world according to some sources:)

Hehe, I have heard those claims from a certain seed peddling website also. But being that tepin's scoville rating is nowhere near that of Naga's, I was actually astonished at the burn I received from my two tepin plants. It actually was more intolerable than my Bih Jolokias. They give an instantaneous and fierce attack on the very spot the juice leaks onto. Like somebody extinguished a cigarette on my lip. The good thing is that it peaks and fades rather quickly. Therefore I don't always trust the Scoville scale, sometimes being underwhelmed by a superhot, only to have some annum or frutescen blow my roof off.

NJA, you came to the right place. I grew 45+ varieties of bird peppers (Tepins/Pequins) in 2008. :) It was my big experiment. I've been trying to get in touch with you through PMs, but am not having luck. I can hook you up with a few nice pequins. I have one I"m particulaly fond of.

Chris

I've been having the same problem with NJA. I've received PMs from him in the past, but he isn't answering the ones I've sent him.

Diabolus said:
Hehe, I have heard those claims from a certain seed peddling website also. But being that tepin's scoville rating is nowhere near that of Naga's, I was actually astonished at the burn I received from my two tepin plants. It actually was more intolerable than my Bih Jolokias. They give an instantaneous and fierce attack on the very spot the juice leaks onto. Like somebody extinguished a cigarette on my lip. The good thing is that it peaks and fades rather quickly. Therefore I don't always trust the Scoville scale, sometimes being underwhelmed by a superhot, only to have some annum or frutescen blow my roof off.

Its strange how different peppers affect different people. I could eat tepins like candies compared to most chinenses, but I also know people who find Rocotos hotter than habaneros although the SHU is nowhere close.

grin....(I know Potawie is going to say, Oh no, not again)....

the reason for the different burn each pepper gives you is because of the different capsaicinoids and their levels contained in the pepper...I was thinking a long time ago that if I could mix different varieties of peppers, I could get that complete burn for my concoctions...sooooooooo....I started researching the different capsaicinoids to see if there was information about where the different capsaicinoids (Hydrocapsaicin, Dihydrocapsaicin, etc.) attacked the different heat receptors in the mouth...there was some information but not much and I have also contacted CPI @ NMSU to inquire about this.

to keep this thread on track, the tepins hit me up front hard and harsh...lips and front of tongue but the burn subsides rather quickly as compared to some others...from reading this thread, it seems I am not the only one that experiences this type of burn from the tepins...

Potawie...the Little Elfs I grew last year were very pretty peppers with all the different stage of ripening colors, but they tasted like dirt to me...the heat was somewhere around a super chili or maybe close to a tepin...I didn't eat enough of them to really tell...just the taste turned me off....

I know what you're saying about different capsaicinoids and different burns AJ. Like you, I've been mixing peppers looking for a complete allround burn (and good flavor mix) for a long long time, and I use pequins in most of my chile mixtures. Although different burns, I've just never found any annuum, pubescens, bacattuum, or frutescens to be anywhere near the heat of most chinenses
This year however, I am trying the ECUADORIAN RED PEPPER FOR HELL which is supposed to be a real scorcher of a pubescens

cmpman1974 said:
NJA, you came to the right place. I grew 45+ varieties of bird peppers (Tepins/Pequins) in 2008. :) It was my big experiment. I've been trying to get in touch with you through PMs, but am not having luck. I can hook you up with a few nice pequins. I have one I"m particulaly fond of.

Chris

cmpman1974 & OrigamiRN,

A million apologies to both of you and most of the friends who PMed me .

I cook once a day (my duty in the evenings), Look after African Pili Pili (My wife is born in Kenya) and am raising a TEPIN my grand daughter, looking after three blogs, One website , look after grocery shopping,laundry blah blah blah etc. and cursin THP for opening this community .
So you see...I need 36 hours per day to do justice which I am not able to.

Kanthari ,chot and Mundu seeds are yet to be packed.

I know you guys and most of the others must be wondering that I have not replied to their PMs.
Ok above reasons hold me .

I promise that I will reply to all PM s from now on or my soul will rot in Pepperless heaven.
NJA

Don't worry NJA. Live happens sometimes. I think most of us have experienced that before.
Don't make premisses you can't keep, because that heaven is pretty boring ;)

Diabolus said:
(...) I don't always trust the Scoville scale, sometimes being underwhelmed by a superhot, only to have some annum or frutescen blow my roof off.
So true. Reality sometimes kicks the Scoville scales butt. But not always :D

@cmpman1974: Cmpman, what variety of pequin is particularly worth growing for maximum flavour and pretty good yields?

I thought I was growing a pequin, but apparently a Tepin it is. The seed-package said tepin, so I've should have not be confused, but still....

No apologies necessary NJA. It sounds like you have your hands full and then some! I just wanted to make sure they were actually getting received. :) I was getting concerned.

Mainly, I wanted to send out the seeds to you I packed already, but I don't have your mailing address.

Regarding the pequins, my favorite is probably a variety I got in Arizona from a plant nursery when I was out there on vacation. Nice heat, very tall plant, good production. A perfect representation of one. From a unique perspective, one of the coolest is a variety called Pequin from Puerto Vallarte. It's got dark green leaves, very tall plant, spreads a lot, small pointed pods. Unfortunately, I didn't get many pods on it because I planted it very late in 2008. Macho isn't an 'official' Pequin, but it has birdlike qualities, gets super tall and produces a great many elongated juicy pods that pop right off the plant. There really are so many neat ones out there. They are just hard to find.

Chris

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
cmpman1974 & OrigamiRN,

A million apologies to both of you and most of the friends who PMed me .

I cook once a day (my duty in the evenings), Look after African Pili Pili (My wife is born in Kenya) and am raising a TEPIN my grand daughter, looking after three blogs, One website , look after grocery shopping,laundry blah blah blah etc. and cursin THP for opening this community .
So you see...I need 36 hours per day to do justice which I am not able to.

Kanthari ,chot and Mundu seeds are yet to be packed.

I know you guys and most of the others must be wondering that I have not replied to their PMs.
Ok above reasons hold me .

I promise that I will reply to all PM s from now on or my soul will rot in Pepperless heaven.
NJA

ok so it was said if the pods are round their tepins if their bullet shaoed there pequins? not to sure what mine are then, because the pods i recieved were dried...kinda looked round to me though. anyway there definatly neat little chilis. and AJ the ones i have eaten hit me right on the backside of my lips, the tip of my tounge. the front of my lips were not affected even though i rubbed the peppers on them...just a good explosion right in the front of my mouth.

and the tex mex guy at work i got them from told me they were the hottest in the world..lol so i brought a dried bhut jolokia to him to convince him other wise. surprizingly he took it pretty well.

and ones more thing, he said these are what they make pepper spray with...that true or not?

also has anyone tried making pickled stuff with the dried pods? i think im going to use them almost exclusively for pickling.

i like hot pickles, and hot pickled eggs. maybe next year ill put some in my deer summer sausage(that is if i get another deer next year)

Back