• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PeriPeri's Grow Log 2012: South Africa

Hi All,

So I'll give it another try this year. God knows I love chillies and I would love nothing more than to have a bumper harvest... but I suspect the truth of the matter is I do not have green fingers. In fact, give me a chilli and I will be pretty guaranteed to kill it lol That's not negativity talking, that's reality based on last years experiences lol

Last year it was pots. This year its a farm east of Pretoria, here in South Africa. My reasoning for this madness is pretty much like a hunter hunting with a machine gun... out of the thousand seedlings I plant... I must walk away with something lol (I hope).

So I have a pice of land. Good soil down by a river in the african sun.

The planting area has been divided into two sections. An enclosed area (±40mx40m) with shade netting and an open area (±40mx40m). Water is limited, but there is borehole water.

Outside Area:
outside.jpg

Inside Area:
inside.jpg

Temps this time of the year are in the mid to high 30ºC. It's the rainy season, so there is rain and it comes in buckets and hail-stones!

So here are the pics I took of the inside and outside areas Saturday 6/10/2012. It was 37ºC that day. I have a video as well which I took last Sunday when I started the planting (to come). Luckily we have a cold front at the moment, so since monday it has been overcast, cool and we have rain (magic). I think its about 23/25ºC at the moment. I planted on Sunday (36ºC) early morning (24/25ºC) and late afternoon and pretty much watered for the rest of the day. Didn't look like rain at all... but it's here and could not have come at a better time really!

As you can see I have laid out the beds in rows. Planting is at 45-60cm intervals. I am doing a little experiment also with double planting and single planting. I suspect the yield will be lower with the bushes that have been double planted... but who knows. A different climate... maybe results will show different.

On the grow list:

Bishops Crown
PeriPeri (naturally)
Hotazel
Hot Pixie
Thaibo
Thai Dragon
Baby Belle
Cal Wonder
Yellow Scorpions
ButchT
Black Pearl
Naga Viper
White Hab
Orange Hab
Brown Hab
Red Hab
Big Jim
Long Thai
Cayenne
Cheyenne
Jalapeno
Carolina Reaper
Serrano
Pasilla Bajio
7 Pod
Bhut Jolokia
Naga King
Scotch Bonnet
Hungarian Sweet Wax
Cherry Bomb
Boriya Mirch
Brain Strain
Ring of Fire

Still to come...

Angkor Sunrise
Devils Tongue White
Barrakpore
Douglah
Jonah
JonahxButchT
Primo
Naga Morich
Infinity
Goronong
Devils Tongue Choc
Hab Choc

One or two other... but I can't remember.

First lot I planted on Sunday 7/10/2012.... details will follow...

Over and out for now!

PeriPeri

Bump... that brown Bhut could still redden up for you...
Eh? You mean that bhut could go red?

Great looking pepper patch.
Thank you Sawyer... it has produced a fair few pods this season. Picking pods outside yesterday, it became apparent how ravished the outside area was. Rats and mice have gnawed at the Bishops and Baby Belles like there is no tomorrow. It was quite heartwrenching to see how these critters have nibbled carelessly at every red pod and just moved on. The best part of 80% of the red Bishops and Baby Belles had been nibbled. If only the rodents had a little more etiquette and eaten each pod before moving on... but it is just senseless how they nibble a wee corner of one pod and move on... which ofcourse means the pod is wasted. But even with just the 20% I have managed to pick it is massive. But without a doubt, next year I will not grow any peppers outside a shadenet enclosure. Rule number 1 :)

So some of the things I have made rules for next year:

1) I will start sowing in July. I had started a fraction late this year. Get my ducks in a row... get the seads together before then and not sow seeds after this. Granted some of the seeds got stuck in the post... and because I desparately wanted to grow those varieties, I planted them late. But yea, I will get my seeds together by end of June and plant by first week of July. This gives the plants a good two months before going into the soil.

2) I will plant a certain quantity of each variety. Have not determined what that will be yet, but this will give me much more space. My propagator that I built can hold 700 seedlings. This season I planted a vast quantity of habas, fataliis, large Peri, Baby Belles and Big Jims. Next year I will be more selective. I am thinking 12 of each variety would give me 80 varieties... which will be 20 more than this year.

3) I will not plant in polistyrene seed trays. Bad for the environment and terrible to grow in. Lost a lot of seedlings due to those stupid trays. Also, I will not plant in the thicker plastic seed trays. Rather go with the thin plastic seed trays. I know the ones.

4) No plants will be planted outside the shade net enclosure. Monkeys, rats, mice etc... there are too many vermin. Not to mention it is too bloody hot for plants. While plants survive, the sun parches them so bad, it stunts their development by at least a month and a half.

5) Distance. Spacing needs to be 60cm at least. Some of my planting outside was too close. While it does not appear to affect the plant adversely, It makes it difficult to navigate the rows when picking. It becomes very difficult to do so without breaking plants.

6) Support. Bamboo supports need to be inserted into the ground possibly even before planting. Might be a good way to mark out the spacing of the planting.

7) Watering. At present, there is no automated irrigation. Water comes from the farm borehole and is not pressurized. Next season there will need to be and pressure pump and drip irrigation along the rows.

8) Plastic sheeting to sort weeds and reduce evaporation.

9) Seedlings to be bigger next year before going into the soil. I want to side-step the nursery. This business of transplanting from nursery to the inside area has also set plant growth back. It would be much better to plant straight into the soil obviously.

10) Relying on farm labour to water chillies while I am not there - despite paying them to do so - has been an exercise in futility. But possibly if I get a water timer, I can avoid this reliance on people who are unreliable.

11) Need to find a way to protect water timer from being stolen. This is a farm where things of value are stolen in the night :)

So that is about all I can think of thus far... but these are some of the rules that will need to be implemented for next season.

I'm in that same frame of mind right now- still harvesting but already planning how to fix problems for next season. The rules sound exactly like mine... except for the one about the monkeys ;)

That's a great set of rules, Lourens, and a lot of good advice for others to consider. Regarding the nibbled peppers, they might not be a complete waste. If it's only a small nibble, you probably could still harvest them for seed, and maybe even use the peppers themselves for something like turtle food or something. You'd just have to keep them separate from the sauce-bound crop.

Wow! What a piece of pepper heaven you got there. Monkeys, snakes and giant snails-oh, my! After reading your glog I have added a couple more plants onto next years grow list. I really liked that little micro pepper. I bet she would make a good house plant sitting near a sunny window during the winter.

Michelle

PeriPeri,

I like your list, irrigation is worth it! This year is my first year from seeds, and I'm already making a list, one thing start earlier.

Ever think of tomato cages instead of bamboo? No ties needed:)

Scott

I think I saw a fair amount of green still in that pod, so when it ripens it might go red or brown. Time will tell...
Stickman - One way or another ist going to be hot and tasty ;)

I'm in that same frame of mind right now- still harvesting but already planning how to fix problems for next season. The rules sound exactly like mine... except for the one about the monkeys ;)
Coalas?

That's a great set of rules, Lourens, and a lot of good advice for others to consider. Regarding the nibbled peppers, they might not be a complete waste. If it's only a small nibble, you probably could still harvest them for seed, and maybe even use the peppers themselves for something like turtle food or something. You'd just have to keep them separate from the sauce-bound crop.
Thanks Sawyer. Probably quite elementary rules, but definately stuff I will be sticking to next year. I keep wanting to say next year, but really it is just a few months off lol Luckily I have plenty seeds for the Bishops, Baby Belle Pimentos and the Big Jims... but it sure is sad as I had planned to base my sauce base on these peppers. As you pointed out, can't use the nibbled ones... but there is enough to produce a few hundred litres at least.

Wow! What a piece of pepper heaven you got there. Monkies, snakes and giant snails-oh, my! After reading your glog I have added a couple more plants onto next years grow list. I really liked that little micro pepper. I bet she would make a good house plant sitting near a sunny window during the winter.

Michelle
Hi Michelle - welcome! Glad you enjoyed reading the glog... yea Africa has its challenges! That little Ingine has plucked on my heart strings. It is the smallest chilli I have ever seen. The pods are so small that they dry out by the time I get home lol... but I have managed to collect a fair few seeds... so I will definately try and grow more for next season.

PeriPeri,

I like your list, irrigation is worth it! This year is my first year from seeds, and I'm already making a list, one thing start earlier.

Ever think of tomato cages instead of bamboo? No ties needed:)

Scott
Hi Scott, definately irrigation next season! Even now seeing the guys are not doing their job. I have one of those water timers... I will give it a go and let's hope the guys wont nick it.

I will investigate the tomato cages... never heard of those. The outside plants - the Big Jim's, Baby Belle Pimento's and Bishops have been the ones that needed the most support. I would say the Bishops and the Baby Belle Pimentos are the biggest plants at some 1,6m in height and laden with fruit... they need serious support! But I will investigate your suggestion - thanks for that!

I did a taste test of one of the 7pod's this morning... man it ripped me good. Full of flavour and a burn that was hectic. I think the lack of watering and the hot weather has seriously pumped up the heat on a lot of the super's. I cut the pod open and it was just oozing yellow oil. I have been doing quite a few taste tests lately. Trying to do a video for every variety... and they are coming in thick and fast! I have never had this problem before, but this afternoon I went for a wee tinkle and it burned the living creepers out of me lol Not funny at the time... but am having a chuckle about that now!

I keep wanting to say next year, but really it is just a few months off lol

Isn't that great?

PeriPeri said:
there is enough to produce a few hundred litres at least.

That's a lot of sauce.

PeriPeri said:
I have one of those water timers... I will give it a go and let's hope the guys wont nick it.

I'm sure there must be an appropriate-tech, not-worth-nicking solution for the problem. We just need to think about it more.

PeriPeri said:
I will investigate the tomato cages... never heard of those.

"Tomato cages" are really a misnomer. They are almost entirely useless for indeterminate tomatoes, but, at the same time, they are nearly ideal for pepper plants.

Hi Lourens, Great update as always. I have to open a word document every time I comment on your glog because there is always so much to mention and I have to go back and forth through the pages or responses. Sign of a good glog. lol

Here goes:

Red Fatali - interesting that you say it's not very nice, flavour wise. I will be rethinking about growing this next year. I value your opinion on peppers after watching your taste test videos (Got any more to throw up yet btw?) I have it growing at the moment as mentioned in previous post, so will try it for myself but will keep it on the maybe list for next year now.

Phuli Jyoti - Looks like a paint brush splash of colour. That plant looks dripping!

7Pod - 1st Photo, the bottom left pod, do you not think that looks like an alien head? Like out of the film mars attack!

7 Pod - 2nd Photo - pods look massive. I really love all the different shapes and sizes. Does this plant have a name to go with the 7 Pod part? or is it just known as a 7 pod?

That's really interesting what Stickman has said about the bhut, would be cool if it did turn to red now. Would completely throw everyone off. lol

I too already have a list of stuff that I will not be doing again next year and a list of stuff I will be doing and I'm only 3 months into my first grow and my list is LONNNNGGGG lol

Just had a look at nicky's nursery as you mentioned in previous post. They have LOADS of seeds, so very good for next year. The only thing is they import/buy them from growers they don't grow them, which is a shame as it's nice to know a bit of background on the seeds you get. But will give them ago just for ease I think.

I can only imagine the stress of having part of the responsibility of the watering given to someone else. We live about 250 miles away from our land and were going to employ someone or ask a friend to water the plants for us. After seeing the trouble you have had it has put me off of this completely. So at least some good has come out of your situation (in a weird way) Our plan is to move back up to the area where our land is so we can see it every day. I'm still going to use a time etc just to give us a bit of a hand, I've seen these sort of things that I might use, may be something you can use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Adjustable-Electronic-Garden-Watering-Hose-Pipe-Water-Timer-9V-Battery-/360614115220?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item53f646b794

It's going to be a tough choice for you I can see, If someone will potentially pinch a timer than it needs to be something that you can buy at least 2 of straight off the bat (1 in reserve) and something that is not that expensive so it will not attract attention in the first place. Maybe rather than attaching it straight onto the hose pipe at the tap, you could run a hose pipe from the tap to the timer which could be buried away from the tap somewhere (but still with easy access to it for you), may be dug down in a box and then have a decoy pipe coming from the tap also so anyone passing would just think it's an old hose pipe. Just a thought .

I would imagine your very busy with all the de-seeding etc but be good to see some more pics of your harvest when you get a chance. I'm sure I'm not the only one who licks the screen at harvest pics. lol

Cheer Lourens, great stuff as usual mate

Pete

Love the photo montage. Such an incredible variety you have growing. I like your rules for next year. It seems there is always a learning curve with this hobby. Keep it up, man!

Here's a pic of a cage, they're great and reusable. I have about 60 back from 1982. I bought some this year for $2, not a bad investment.

86.jpg

take care,

Scott

Hi Lourens, Great update as always. I have to open a word document every time I comment on your glog because there is always so much to mention and I have to go back and forth through the pages or responses. Sign of a good glog. lol

Here goes:

Red Fatali - interesting that you say it's not very nice, flavour wise. I will be rethinking about growing this next year. I value your opinion on peppers after watching your taste test videos (Got any more to throw up yet btw?) I have it growing at the moment as mentioned in previous post, so will try it for myself but will keep it on the maybe list for next year now.

Phuli Jyoti - Looks like a paint brush splash of colour. That plant looks dripping!

7Pod - 1st Photo, the bottom left pod, do you not think that looks like an alien head? Like out of the film mars attack!

7 Pod - 2nd Photo - pods look massive. I really love all the different shapes and sizes. Does this plant have a name to go with the 7 Pod part? or is it just known as a 7 pod?

That's really interesting what Stickman has said about the bhut, would be cool if it did turn to red now. Would completely throw everyone off. lol

I too already have a list of stuff that I will not be doing again next year and a list of stuff I will be doing and I'm only 3 months into my first grow and my list is LONNNNGGGG lol

Just had a look at nicky's nursery as you mentioned in previous post. They have LOADS of seeds, so very good for next year. The only thing is they import/buy them from growers they don't grow them, which is a shame as it's nice to know a bit of background on the seeds you get. But will give them ago just for ease I think.

I can only imagine the stress of having part of the responsibility of the watering given to someone else. We live about 250 miles away from our land and were going to employ someone or ask a friend to water the plants for us. After seeing the trouble you have had it has put me off of this completely. So at least some good has come out of your situation (in a weird way) Our plan is to move back up to the area where our land is so we can see it every day. I'm still going to use a time etc just to give us a bit of a hand, I've seen these sort of things that I might use, may be something you can use.
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53f646b794

It's going to be a tough choice for you I can see, If someone will potentially pinch a timer than it needs to be something that you can buy at least 2 of straight off the bat (1 in reserve) and something that is not that expensive so it will not attract attention in the first place. Maybe rather than attaching it straight onto the hose pipe at the tap, you could run a hose pipe from the tap to the timer which could be buried away from the tap somewhere (but still with easy access to it for you), may be dug down in a box and then have a decoy pipe coming from the tap also so anyone passing would just think it's an old hose pipe. Just a thought .

I would imagine your very busy with all the de-seeding etc but be good to see some more pics of your harvest when you get a chance. I'm sure I'm not the only one who licks the screen at harvest pics. lol

Cheer Lourens, great stuff as usual mate

Pete
Hi Pete. Thanks for the feedback... great stuff!

I think I did fail to mention that all opinions are ofcourse just my very own. It would be wrong to guide you and other pepper growers into not growing certain chillies just because I did not like them. The plant by its very nature is a great plant, producing loads of beautiful pods... just for me it had a peppery burn and no flavour. When one compares this to the original Yellow Fatalli it really is cheese and chalk (in this instance). The though I am throwing out there is hybraise away if you are a chillihead, but if you come up with a chilli that does no homage to its origins... I personally would remove the plant lol

I will do a taste test on a whole pod in due course. Maybe the next batch of Red Fataliis from the plant will have more flavour - who knows! I have a whole load of vids to put up on youTuve, but I just have not had any time to do the editing of the vids... which needs to be done! But in due course there will be loads more videos!

The 7pod is - from what I gather - just a 7Pod... straight red... although one of the plants does look like it could have some hybrid like a Jonah or Maruga in it. I actually did a taste test of the 7pod just the other day and it was exceptionally hot from what I remember last season. But then with the dry hot weather we have been having... all pods are big and just dripping capsaicin like crazy!

The watering situation is a major problem for me. But I think it is the same as with any business... the minute you entrust someone else with duties, they will never (or very rarely) cater for things as you would... as their interests purely lie in renumeration. I do think though that having chosen the right person, you will be ok. My issues here are exasperated by the fact that we are in Africa and it does not rain for days... it is exceptionally hot and the sun is intense. You can burn on a cooler day in 15 minutes flat. So one day of not watering will result in plants just being cooked alive the next morning.

Watering metres from Gardena that are programmable here cost about $25 - which is quite an outlay but one I will risk. I don't like to do anyone out of a job - as this will be a case of machine replacing labour... but if the guys I am paying to do this job, can not find ten minutes in their daily routine to just swith a sprinkler on (which is exactly all they have to do)... and I stand the chance of loosing the highly prized babies I have in the soil right now... then I must make that brutal decision. I just hope I can make a plan to disguise the meter so it does not get nicked and the guys I am paying don't nick it to get their jobs back lol... I know how things work here in Africa - and as devious as this may sound... it is a reality. But I will continue paying the guys... I may just ask them to cut bamboo for me or do a little weeding instead so everyone is happy.

OK... I need to run to the farm... got a meter to install lol More updates later...

And thank you for taking the time to reply in such a detailed fashion. It is good to know there are very interested readers out there!

Monkeys, rodents and now ALIENS! aaaahhhhh
Hahahahah... omg I have aliens as pods!

Love the photo montage. Such an incredible variety you have growing. I like your rules for next year. It seems there is always a learning curve with this hobby. Keep it up, man!
Thanks Doc! I am trying... but business, kids, relationship, garden and chopping as well as website is pulling me in a million directions - oh and glog updates lol Thats a million and one doirections! All good though :)

Here's a pic of a cage, they're great and reusable. I have about 60 back from 1982. I bought some this year for $2, not a bad investment.

take care,

Scott
Those are brilliant... thanks Scott for showing me this... will need to check this out. Costs are coming to mind... things here are more expensive I think... will need to see where I can buy and how expensive they are locally!

If it's cheaper for you... maybe you could make your own cages from the wire mesh they embed into concrete. You'd probably need a small bolt-cutter to cut the wire, a form sturdy enough to wrap the mesh around, and pliers to fasten the edges together.

:rofl:

Ahh you mean drop bears. Those cute and cuddly things that eat hundreds of Japanese tourists every year. They don't have a taste for chilli, just sushi ;)

Seriously we do have a lot of wildlife in Oz but I'm deep in the burbs, nowhere near the bush. I've had problems with rats eating my tomatoes but I don't think they like chillies. Nothing like what you have to deal with. I'm more concerned with my neighbour spraying chemicals just over the fence and having them wafting over in the breeze. The rats came from next door too :(

Sad to hear about the red Fataliis. At least you have the yellow ones. My yellow Fatalii tally so far is three pods bugged out and one pod rotten. They were really nice big looking pods too. All my hope lies in a few green ones that are still growing.

If it's cheaper for you... maybe you could make your own cages from the wire mesh they embed into concrete. You'd probably need a small bolt-cutter to cut the wire, a form sturdy enough to wrap the mesh around, and pliers to fasten the edges together.

This is what I sometimes use for tomatoes. Mostly I stake them with bamboo, since I have an overabundance of the stuff. I find the regular tomato cages to be too flimsy for a fully laden indeterminate tomato plant. They tend just to fall over. They do work well for the medium-sized pepper plants I've grown in the past. They're a little short for some of the monsters I've seen on THP.

Hey Stickman... youre right easy enough, just need to take the time. How is it going with spring up there in the North?

:rofl:

Ahh you mean drop bears. Those cute and cuddly things that eat hundreds of Japanese tourists every year. They don't have a taste for chilli, just sushi ;)

Seriously we do have a lot of wildlife in Oz but I'm deep in the burbs, nowhere near the bush. I've had problems with rats eating my tomatoes but I don't think they like chillies. Nothing like what you have to deal with. I'm more concerned with my neighbour spraying chemicals just over the fence and having them wafting over in the breeze. The rats came from next door too :(

Sad to hear about the red Fataliis. At least you have the yellow ones. My yellow Fatalii tally so far is three pods bugged out and one pod rotten. They were really nice big looking pods too. All my hope lies in a few green ones that are still growing.
Hey Moo, lol you might not have the wildlife... but you guys have enough poisonous spiders and snakes to make up for wild animals any day. Wouldn't find me rummaging for pods in a field of chillies down under! Isnt it amazing how rats always seem to come from "the naighbour" lol! I also have rats in the garden at home... and they also come from the neighbour who has chickens... so they get attracted by the corn and seeds they put down for food.

I managed to get a good Red Fatalii today. Latest pods looking unharmed. Although I have an infestation of aphids on the rise :( Having spoken so wonderfully about how all the Lady Bugs keep the aphids incheck... may need to do some Neem Oil lol

This is what I sometimes use for tomatoes. Mostly I stake them with bamboo, since I have an overabundance of the stuff. I find the regular tomato cages to be too flimsy for a fully laden indeterminate tomato plant. They tend just to fall over. They do work well for the medium-sized pepper plants I've grown in the past. They're a little short for some of the monsters I've seen on THP.
Hi Sawyer... There is plenty bamboo down by the river on the farm... which is what I have been using up untill now. Works fine... but some of those Bishops and Baby Belle's are so damn laden with pods - not even the bamboo helps. Have started using three bamboo sticks per plant on some of the very big plants :)

I did go to the farm today... but as is always the case - there is never enough time.

I tried to set up the watering computer, but as it turns out, the sprinkler does not work because there is insufficient pressure when running through the watering computer. So I have had to revert to plan 1 again. When I arrived at the farm, I could see the guys had watered this morning - hooray... and plants were looking good!

In any case, we (my lady and I) tried picking all the chillies... but hey, there are so many... we barely scratched the surface. We will have to make a plan during the week!

I did take some pics... but just do not have time tonight to upload them. Have been busy chopping chillies since this afternoon... so I may only get to upload tomorrow! I hope you guys won't be too disappointed... cheers PeriPeri!

Hey Stickman... youre right easy enough, just need to take the time. How is it going with spring up there in the North?

Actually, we don't have spring as such here... We have ski season followed by mud season and tourist season... then a few weeks to fish the surf or go Deer hunting before snow falls and we're back to ski season... :)

Back