• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Pet Word Peeves

Using FAIL as a noun. The words Brekkie and Sammy(ie) instead of breakfast and sandwich. The ridiculous over-abbreviation of everything. If you're too lazy to type out two or three words, then you shouldn't communicate by typing. I could go on, but I feel my brain throbbing with rage just thinking about more language butchery... :(
guilty. :(

I say "sammy" all the time - I do however say "breakfast sammy" - I would never abbreviate breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day. I also say "fail" but it is not as a noun. I'm not sure what you mean there - when people say "epic fail" or simply "fail" it is still an adverb or pronoun. "this picture is full of fail" still describes an action. It's a lazy and not verbose description, but it's still a description of a horrible result from an action. that said, I do not say "totes" for "totally", so at least you can sleep at night knowing that. :cheers: Now if you'll excuse me I have a breakfast sammy to nom nom nom. :woohoo:

Touch points. I left a company shortly after it rolled out new vocabulary for the employees to use when they spoke with clients (but I didn't leave for that reason!) We no longer spoke or wrote to clients, we touched them. Really? In theory, that meant that if they called or wrote to me, they were touching me. Ew…. keep your paws off!

The final s and the ls in Versailles are silent. In Notre Dame, the r comes before the e, and the a is short.
This kind of thing doesn't bother me too much because they are both non-English. I can't expect anyone who hasn't studied French (which I have) to know French language rules. On the other hand, if they have studied French…..

This kind of thing doesn't bother me too much because they are both non-English. I can't expect anyone who hasn't studied French (which I have) to know French language rules. On the other hand, if they have studied French…..

Jacques Cousteau :

As Philippe Cousteau and myself dive beneath zuh sea to zee coral reef we are greeted by a technicolor cacophony of feesh. Zuh reef is teeming weeth life. We see zee male Afreekuhn paper feesh undulating slowly along side zee female paper feesh in an eon's old sexual mating ritual. He swims along side of her and gently brushes zee female feesh with heez peektoral fin as if to say.."come to my house, I have cocaine".

G,
My high school french teacher butchered any time she wasn't in class and half the time while she was. I took two years because it was the only foreign language they offered, I only took two years because I stopped being able to learn as I cringed every time she tried to speak in the language she was trying to teach.

Yeah, I get that. I was very fortunate - my French instructor was actually from France and had only been here a handful of years. Nothing beats the real deal! My daughter wasn't so fortunate. Her French instructor was hispanic, and not only did she have a strong Spanish accent anyway, but she also talked with a lisp. Can't blame anyone in her classes if they can't speak well-formed French words, either!

Still not worse than the stuttering Chinese guy I had for a waiter.

I don't think he spoke ANY English.

TB: We'd like to start off with the bbq pork and a spring roll for appetizers and for me I'll have the mongolian beef with white rice and my wife will have the cashew chicken, no bean sprouts, and a side of fried rice.

Chinese waiter: Xie xie! T-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-toooowwwoooo N-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-uuuumba' 6!

Can't beat "picture menu" for that (it has no words.) No other option but to find the pic of the food you want, and point to it. Saying something like "I want that", or even just "that", is entirely optional...

I hate when people say " I drank 12 beer last night". It's 12 beers, as in plural. It's not the same singular/plural noun as deer or moose, no matter how many times ou say it.

Still not worse than the stuttering Chinese guy I had for a waiter.

I don't think he spoke ANY English.

TB: We'd like to start off with the bbq pork and a spring roll for appetizers and for me I'll have the mongolian beef with white rice and my wife will have the cashew chicken, no bean sprouts, and a side of fried rice.

Chinese waiter: Xie xie! T-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-toooowwwoooo N-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-uuuumba' 6!

Ra Ra Ra Ra Raaaaaaa Ra Ra Ra Raaaaaa.

I climb the walls whenever I hear someone say that they were "conversating", or when they use "irregardless" (which I think means "without regard for one's ears") instead of "irrespective". Two of my other favorties (they're/their/there" & you're/your) have already been addressed by others, so I'll toss in that other famous one "than & then"...how hard can it be to distinguish between the two words?

I just cringe when I listen to people butcher the English language...I won't even get started on spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.,...

Heard one on the radio that made me cringe..... We all probably slip and mix our tenses while talking from time to time. But in a professionally produced commercial? CRINGE ALERT!

Announcer: "There's thousands of stories....."

Not.
" There's " is a contraction of "there" and "is", which is singular. "Thousands" is plural. It works to say "there is one thousand...", and it works to say "there are thousands....", but "there is thousands..." . . . . . BAH!

Oh God, to think I asked you to proofread something. Now I am thinking that you must be thinking I am an idiot and it is only a matter of time before things I said in there will appear here. :banghead:

My mother would pick apart the newspaper almost daily, now I do the same. I also correct my kids when they mispronounce something they try to say.
I really think people don't care anymore. I played football on a local Semi Pro team that spelled their name the "Mastadons" not "Mastodons" I brought it up one day to the owner. Nobody even realized what I was talking about. Do you think they changed it, Hell no

Your post reminded me of the name of a city I went to - Muscle Shoals. I was told the name comes from the abundance of mussels on the shoals..... yes, the shellfish, not muscle tissue. I seriously doubt the city would correct its name at this point in time, even if someone brought it up.

Back