• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Pet Word Peeves

one that constantly bugs me at work is "biweekly" or "bimonthly" - I am in meetings often. For ongoing projects, people will request a "standing" meeting.

and when discussed, someone invariably says "great, let's have a biweekly meeting" (meaning, every two weeks) but they don't specify. Or they'll say bimonthly meaning "twice a month", but what people will interpret as "every other month".

If you intend on using these words, please be clear. "I think we should meet twice a week - Jones, set up a biweekly meeting". -or- "I think we should meet every other week. Jones, set up a bimonthly meeting" -or- "I think we should meet very other month, Jones - set up a bimonthly meeting."

they're all tecnhically correct - so one has to be specific or risk confusing everyone.

Proper: "It used to be my favorite restaurant, I dont go there anymore."
Incorrect: "It used to be my favorite restaurant, but it sucks anymore."
Hm... I don't think your "incorrect" example is actually incorrect. Definitions from dictionary.com:

1. any longer.
2. nowadays; presently.

I think your example fits the 2nd definition, as in "It used to be my favorite restaurant, but it sucks nowadays." However, I think I've also heard it being misused on a few occasions. I'll probably be on the lookout for it now!

one that constantly bugs me at work is "biweekly" or "bimonthly" - I am in meetings often.
I tend to use "semi-monthly" to mean twice a month and "bimonthly" to mean every other month. Ditto for the weekly varieties. "Semi-" has no alternate meaning, so is less confusing to most people. Weird how our language developed "bi-" to go either way.

Yes, but also delightful when applied to wimmens. :dance: :woohoo:

(the door was wiiiiide open)

That's racist! or...insinuatory.....or...bigatous...or flatulatory.....or ([sub]let's see how many more wrong words I can think of.... :lol: ) [/sub]BAD BOY!

11cdde94.jpg

if a man doesn't know his place...
cabanaboy.jpg

I am a-Paulky-ed! :shocked:

FIFY~~~

Sorry, geeme.....didn't mean to get too sidetracked.

PS- no peppercorns were harmed during the creation of this post. Before or after....no guarantees. :shhhh:

OMG eye heiht nguyen eye bite moi tong. Your rite four poasting these toepick's...

"Your", and "you're" are my personal favorites. Nitpicking is a good one too, but the absolute worst is when someone says "I am appalled!"

"It suffices to say" as in that's all you have to say, gets butchered as "sufficed to say" or "suffice it to say."

TB kills me with the pepper's, onion's, peno's, so much so I PMed him about it. TRUE STORY ask him! :lol:

Heigth is not a word. It's height!

Lengthly is not a word. It's lengthy!

If I see "anways" on the interwebs I just think of it as g33kspeak, like saying "interwebs" for example. But yeah - if someone says it in person it's irritating.

Learnings, A popular word at work. I have had people replace knowledge with learnings in my presentation. The other is "Best Practices" it is a throw away term used in an attempt to add legitimacy to something not well thought out. "Value proposition"; offer suffices. "Price point" when you mean price.

Some people have a speciall talent of stringing together paragraphs that have no real meaning. It is fascinating and must take years to develop.

I used to cringe when people said good when they mean well. I have moved passed this and realized, typically, people say it to be folksy.

Thinking out of the box. Using a cliche' to describe original thinking is humorous. My boss, whom I respect, says it seriously. I can't bring myself to do it.

Trendy pronunciations. Quit changing the way you say Qatar, Iraq, Iran, or even Osama. Do not be pompous about adopting the latest method either,

Don't use language that obfuscates. It just tells me you are a liar. Undocumented workers. Do they all have jobs?

I could not agree more about "learnings"

I often ask "do you mean 'findings'? Or 'lessons leaned'?"

Learning is a verb, not a noun. Using is as a noun just sounds dumb, making it plural doubly so.

How about misusing cliches? The latest trend seems to be with "I couldn't care less" - break it down: I could not care less, meaning "I don't care". Now people are saying "I could care less" which is laughably wrong. So you're saying you do care a little, the opposite of what you were trying to say. Facepalm.

Comfortable has four syllables. The final s and the ls in Versailles are silent. In Notre Dame, the r comes before the e, and the a is short.

Using FAIL as a noun. The words Brekkie and Sammy(ie) instead of breakfast and sandwich. The ridiculous over-abbreviation of everything. If you're too lazy to type out two or three words, then you shouldn't communicate by typing. I could go on, but I feel my brain throbbing with rage just thinking about more language butchery... :(

Back