• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Awesome glog Greg.  Sauces look killer as usual.  I gave it up tonight as I am getting two straight nights of 33 degrees.  Bout my average time.

Hand Grenades look mean!!!  So do the Browns!!!

Spicegeist said:
Very nice!  Where are your red and choco bhuts from?

The Red Bhuts were either from CPI or a dude on Oahu that use to have a site selling seeds and dried pods online. The Chocolate Bhuts were from Chileseeds in the U.K. 
tctenten said:
Wow...just WOW!!! Great looking pods and that Crushed Scotch Bonnet sauce looks great.

Thanks man...
ronniedeb said:
Beautiful Greg. What else is in your Crushed Scotch Bonnet sauce? Looks amazing!

Mostly crushed scotch bonnets......pepper aged vinegar.......and a few unique ingredients.............. ;) 
Devv said:
Very nice Greg!

Sauces, plants, and pods look fantastic. Give yourself a pat on the back for a spectacular season ;)

Thanks !....It was a fun and furious season.

I'm about to give it up and start doing something creative like cleaning out the garage......... :liar: ........well at least that's what I told Trish.... :lol:
HillBilly Jeff said:
Awesome glog Greg.  Sauces look killer as usual.  I gave it up tonight as I am getting two straight nights of 33 degrees.  Bout my average time.

Hand Grenades look mean!!!  So do the Browns!!!

I hear ya Jeff, I just snapped a photo of the yard while grilling chicken....Tonights weather is looking bleak inland, but in the low 40's here.

I shot this about 1/2 an hr ago....it was alot darker out than it appears. Hand held camera shot, sounded like the camera shutter was open more than 1 sec....that's why the photo has camera shake/blurr..

Jerk chicken tonight.........time for me to take the food off the grill.........where's my flashlight ?..

Ha....ok I'm bored tonight, so I decided to take a photo of my dinner.........Jerk Chicken Thighs , Red Beans and Rice with a side of fried Plantains.

If anyone likes a good Stout, try to find this one from Jamaica......it's pretty tasty.......mon

Okay, Greg.  Am I on the right track here?  3 days and no wilting.  
They went into the greenhouse yesterday.  How wet do you keep them?
Should I remove more leaves?  I took off all the big ones.

_DSC2444a_zps9db74fee.jpg

Thanks for the advice, my friend!

Devv said:
Nice plate shot Greg.

Does the lake help with the cold in the fall?

My brothers house in Ohio is 300yds from Lake Erie, and he claims it makes for a later spring and a warmer fall.

The lake does help keep our temps out of an early frost. Although I'm around 10 miles away from it the lake is actually warmest in Sept/Oct.  We have a high pressure system on the west of the lake..as storms approach    they dissipate and sometimes break up.
The weather stays warmer here than in the rural area's. It can be the low of 40 at night, but 20 miles west its in the low 30's.
Our Spring tends to warm up earlier than weat of the city.

On the downside of living close to the lake, whereas we make get a dusting of snow just around the tip of the lake 20 miles away in Indiana they usually will get the lake effect snow..blizzard type conditions with over a ft or two easily......tough for the truckers on the interstate.

Wow it sounds like your brother has lake front property. Does his area get hammered with the lake effect type snow ?
I bet its still comfortable weather wise into Thanksgiving where he's located.
PaulG said:
Okay, Greg.  Am I on the right track here?  3 days and no wilting.  
They went into the greenhouse yesterday.  How wet do you keep them?
Should I remove more leaves?  I took off all the big ones.

_DSC2444a_zps9db74fee.jpg

Thanks for the advice, my friend!

Paul they look fine...do you have drain holes in the bottom ?

The medium should be keep damp to moist..........snowball packable........lol

As I mentioned in your glog it's important to keep the plants in a humid environment. Using a misting bottle with water is a must and adding a little epsom salts of fish emulsion can't hurt. It can take up to 3 weeks..or so to root. When you see the root appearing on the edge of the cup you can then re pot into a soiless medium of your choice. Best of luck with the process

ronniedeb said:
That food looks amazing. Jamaican Stout, I will have to look out for. I know they like their Guinness stronger in Jamaica. Is this a strong stout?

Thanks Ronan...the Jamaican Stout is actually on the mlid side...somewhat smoother than the usual Stout.
My wife's cousin worked at Guinness.........must be nice to have a daily beer allowance while at work...

btw......I'll be dropping off at the postal later this week
Update with a few photos later this evening...
....and yes, for the time being the garden is still alive and crawling with peppers....

Wow it sounds like your brother has lake front property. Does his area get hammered with the lake effect type snow ?
I bet its still comfortable weather wise into Thanksgiving where he's located.

Well it's not lake frontage, but his subdivision is really close. If you go to Google maps and look at Vermillion, Ohio, he's just West of the river. He's big into sailing and has owned a 30' sailboat for over 20 years. Which is why he lives where he does. The river has restaurants, bars, and marina's on it so it's a party town :high: ;)  He lives about a mile (if that) West of the river. He's a retired Air Traffic Controller, so he has a decent retirement and gets to play now ;)
One of his favorite places to sail to is Put-in-Bay. It's a historic town, but also lined with many places to imbibe ;) I've been there twice and it's always a blast!
And yes they get the lake effect snows, sometimes it gets crazy, but he has a snow blower. You wouldn't be able to dynamite him out of that place!
I know he says it's warmer than south of him during fall, and I do believe he grows until November. He just got a small greenhouse last summer, which helps him when the cooler weather comes.

Me, I'm staying put. I've been in Tejas since August of '78 ;)

capsidadburn said:
Very Tasty Greg!  Hard to beat the taste of Green Egg Chicken.  I will have to look for that Stout too.  I agree with post #501, sauce drool!

Have a great one!

Thanks Mike, ....I do like the BGE, ..I can fire it up...drop it down to 225, put a pork shoulder in at 10 pm and it's looking good at 8 am. ..with out adding any lump /wood. It's good at 750 degrees also......lol

Try to find the Stout...it's different than most.......smooth notes...
RocketMan said:
Nice Greg, and that chicken looks good. Here's to hoping for a more normal winter this year!

Thanks Bill. I hope not to drive sideways through the snow on the expressways....again. The darn salt the state uses on the roads is useless when the temp drops below the teens............yikes !
Devv said:

Well it's not lake frontage, but his subdivision is really close. If you go to Google maps and look at Vermillion, Ohio, he's just West of the river. He's big into sailing and has owned a 30' sailboat for over 20 years. Which is why he lives where he does. The river has restaurants, bars, and marina's on it so it's a party town :high: ;)  He lives about a mile (if that) West of the river. He's a retired Air Traffic Controller, so he has a decent retirement and gets to play now ;)
One of his favorite places to sail to is Put-in-Bay. It's a historic town, but also lined with many places to imbibe ;) I've been there twice and it's always a blast!
And yes they get the lake effect snows, sometimes it gets crazy, but he has a snow blower. You wouldn't be able to dynamite him out of that place!
I know he says it's warmer than south of him during fall, and I do believe he grows until November. He just got a small greenhouse last summer, which helps him when the cooler weather comes.

Me, I'm staying put. I've been in Tejas since August of '78 ;)

Nice story Scott...sounds like your brother lives in the right area.......the best of everything !
Tejas since 78....wow seems like ages but we both know it was just yesterday.
Once again the season is winding down.......Deja Vu

We had a beautiful weekend and I decided to play hookie from work on  Monday......it was 77 degrees
Here's a few shots from the happenings...

I decided to start making some Salsa's before the holidays. The Nu Mex part of the garden is still kicking.
I nabbed some "Hatch, Anaheims, Lumbre, Poblano, Jalapeno, Serrano and Cayenne.

Bought some Tomatillo's at 69 cents an lb. Brushed them lightly with oil and roasted them at 450 until ..................the way they look.....
The Onions and Garlic went in next for the same treatment.

The peppers had a different treatment........fire roasted on the grill

With the addition of S & P , Cumin, Mexican Oregano, Lime and Cilantro before canning.....the mix gets a medium simmer to evaporate some of the liquids.

Heck.....you probably thought this was going to be garden shot.... :lol: ......I've got a few of those coming up.
After the pressure canning I ended up with 16 pts and a large bowl for the gang at the bar.

Wrapping up with the garden photo's

A loaded Uganden Red Habanero plant that just fell out of the container..........with a little help from the cutters.
It's easier to bring the entire plant or large branches to the table and to remove the pods while standing up rather than breaking the old back bending ova.

I removed around 120 plants out of these 10 and 12 gal containers. Having a good pair of ratcheting pruners helped cut through the 1" and wider plant stems.

Another angle shows what's left in this part of the garden. The blue tubs in the back are 18 gal....there's 60 of those. All the plants will have to be stripped of usuable pods before Friday......
...not that's it's Halloween........I already have popcorn balls, apples and loose candy corn to pass out......... :lol:
Well actually Fridays low temps will drop to the low 30's......Some of the plants will still survive, but there's a heap more pods to pick.

i didn't pick any pods from this section. There's a dozen Scotch Bonnet plants. It's a good spot, no wind, southern facing and the plants get ambient reflected heat off the tub enclosure.

The 60 odd so "Bucket Hots"......these along  with the bedding plants, easement area, sideyard plants total around 150 more plants to chop down.

A couple more photos with a bump.....thanks

thanks.....

This time of year produces all kinds of shapes and sizes....This is a Jamaican Bonnet with 5 lobes.....pretty common lately along with the three headed lobed Bonnets.

These came off a plant that was supppose to be a "Nebru" .....it's an Annuum but it does have heat.....mushroom / bonnet shape and they are the size of a nickel......anyone else grow any " Nebru's" this season.........P-Son ?

I always have a bottle of "Hawaiian Water" in the fridge (Water, Rice Vinegar, Garlic, Ginger... Hawaiian Bird Chili's).  It's a nice condiment for eggs in the morning....good replacement for Tabasco. On the plate are some Hawaiian Chili's that will get dryed and powdered.........perhaps for a blackening seasoning for some Hawaiian Yellowfin Tuna...........yum !

This weekends harvest....there are a some green pods (especially Scotch Bonnets) and a few others mixed in here. I didn't have time to strip the entire garden, my concern was to fill the bags up with plant waste for the trash pick-up. Another round of chop the plants down this weekend..

Once again the harvest was over 30 lbs.....and my dehydrator trays need the dishwasher ....they're becoming sticky with resin...(sounded good ?)
oh....and another feline friend...this is Sherry

Bag full of Bonnets.....ready to be cleaned and stemmed

Here are some half gallon jars of Jamaican Scotch Bonnets.....these are packed with Cane Vinegar. I intend to use this through the winter either oin a Jerk Marinade or simple a snack. They will mellow nicely in the next few months. I still have many more to pick off the plants. Those will be incorporated into a Jerk Paste to be pressure canned.

That's it until next week........where you may see what an empty nursery container looks like......... :liar: 

Awesome stuff Greg. Always great lighting in you photos. Very cool orange annuum pods. The nebru I grew looked like a round yellow 7 with a slighly rough skin. It is a yellow 7 x bonnet.

Another great season,probably even better than the last few. It was a pleasure tagging along.

All too beautiful, Greg!

Thanks for further advice on the cuttings - the cups do have drain holes.
There is a sleeve for adding water.

Back