• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Wow I m gonna miss this garden next year. I really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.
(My girlfriend beside me: "Dont even think about attempting a garden like that!!")

Haha well I started this year with 16 plants, and as of now I am planning to at least double that, she s gonna kill me...and I m gonna say, "It's all Greg's fault!!!" lol

Enjoy your break!!

Hey Greg, sorry I haven't been around this year…Now that the season's finished maybe I can catch up with THP. Anyway, I've been meaning to tell you about a volunteer of the Congo Pepper you sent me a couple of years ago….I grew it in this RCW bed last year, and this year I set the new plants between last season's stumps. In the photo you can see how much more robust it is than the two neighboring plants of Bhut Orange Copenhagen, which were started from seed on or around January 1, a full 6 months before the Congo plant poked its little cotyledons up through the wood chips….It's a shame this fruit will never ripen, as there is a hard freeze coming tonight, but I thought you might want to hear of one of your robust little babies—

congo1.jpg

congo2.jpg

I wanna thank you not only for the awesome glog and beautiful pics, but also for the ideas of using using food grade buckets and vinegar for holding your peppers until you have time to do something with them. I have about 1/2 gallon of habs and bhuts all chopped up and marinating in some vinegar for over a month now and actually used some of that to make my first pepper jelly. Awesome stuff. I've always either roasted them for powder or shoved them in the freezer. I like the vinegar idea best.
Well Done :clap:

Incredible adventure! As a newbie to all of this, it's really nice to see the extreme side of growing peppers. Your pictures were incredible by the way...loved how clear they were. Collectively, you must have spent hours upon hours uploading them all to post on here on top of responding to posts. That's what I love about this site...the passion speaks for itself.

Just a question though and forgive me if I missed the info somewhere in this glog but what is the USBC brown? I love the wrinkled exterior on it.

Greg,

Incredible year or should I say “out of dis world mon” \o/

I’m not surprised as we have come to accept from your talented work ... just paying respect. I hope everyone’s doing great in your family and wish you a happy holiday season. I was reading thru your glog and was super impressed with your hand held shots in low light, without a tripod mine are just a blur, lol.

Hab a great weekend brethren \o_

OMG Many thanks man.  That 7 pot puree is heading for tonight's leftover ham.

I bet your bonnet sauce blows mine away.

Thanks again.

10888527_10203577044096764_924655617343435931_n.jpg

Went good on ham.  Had enough of a bite to it that my nose started to run.  Has a taste I can't quite place, but is familiar.

10885470_10203577290422922_9077887544871164839_n.jpg

Greg,
You are Da Man!! Thank You for your generosity.
I absolutely love the Scotch Bonnet. It's got that sweet/tangy flavor to it that I've been trying to find and the heat level is perfect.
The Red Fury is aptly named as it's heat hits you first and then the awesome flavor comes through. Gotta treat this one with a little respect.
The Hot Papaya is also amazing. I haven't tried the others yet but i already know they're gonna be great.
Also, Thank You for the seeds. Now I have the exciting challenge of trying to find space for them. I want to grow out at least 2 or 3 of each variety.

CiyeyWl.jpg
zf1MBn5.jpg
tXSGV1r.jpg

Back