• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickled Eggs Question

Well I'm going to make a batch of pickled eggs from the recipe of a bar in my hometown of Houghton, MI. Anyway, the question is this. Should I use the frozen super hots I have or the dehydrated ones? Which ones would work better? Thanks again.

Since it is mostly vinegar and you dont have to worry about ph, I think the frozen ones would give a better flavor.
Kevin

Well I'm going to make a batch of pickled eggs from the recipe of a bar in my hometown of Houghton, MI. Anyway, the question is this. Should I use the frozen super hots I have or the dehydrated ones? Which ones would work better? Thanks again.

Is the recipe much different than the usual ones in the bars and stores around South Carolina? I love em'! If it's not a secret I'd like to know that recipe.

Are you also going to make a jar of pickled turkey gizzards to sit right next to them? (that could be just a MN thing?)

From my experience you really have to add a tonne of heat for pickled eggs to be good and spicy. I usually use dried pods since fresh are about 90% water and this just dilutes things further

Yeah man,I've made a ton of pickled eggs and it is really hard to get them hot enough.I have even tried injecting hot sauce in the eggs before pickling and they were still not extremely hot!I now just add alot of peppers fresh and dried(super hots for sure) and the flavor and heat are excellent.Don't be disappointed by the heat though :mouthonfire:

I wonder if it would help to poke some small holes in the whites of the eggs? Might help the hot juice to get to the inside of the egg. Just have to make sure not to break the egg. I was thinking of something really small like a thin skewer or toothpick. Dunno, just a suggestion...?????

Eggs are protein, in order to break through this protein you need proteolytic enzymes. You can find papain (from papaya) at your supplement store. Add some to your pickling solution (after all cooking) and you will see the solution penetrate deeper into the egg. You could always add fresh papaya too. Double benefit. You could eat the hot papaya. Make sure you use the papaya or the papain in raw form, cooked foods have no enzyme activity!

Very interseting, will try with my next batch of eggs. Cheers
Eggs are protein, in order to break through this protein you need proteolytic enzymes. You can find papain (from papaya) at your supplement store. Add some to your pickling solution (after all cooking) and you will see the solution penetrate deeper into the egg. You could always add fresh papaya too. Double benefit. You could eat the hot papaya. Make sure you use the papaya or the papain in raw form, cooked foods have no enzyme activity!

Awesome, THP. I'm in a pickled egg contest with a couple of friends... I should have asked here for advice before making my batches.

Awesome, THP. I'm in a pickled egg contest with a couple of friends... I should have asked here for advice before making my batches.

What constitutes a win in your contest? Best or spiciest eggs? You should also see who can eat the most eggs in a given amount of time. That would be a fun twist.

No prob guys. Also look at bromelain, which is from pineapple. Both are sold at heath food stores, and even drug stores.

I'd go for the supplements though, as papaya and pineapple by themselves do not have high enough levels of the enzyme.

Post your results!

Hey Mojo. There are three of us in the contest, and an extra judge. We're allowed to bring two different types of eggs. We collaborated on a scoring system, which is something like taste, appearance, texture, and uniqueness. In order to avoid getting sick (the danger of which I don't need to egg-agerate) we're only eating half an egg for each entry.

Having typed all of this, I should be honest enough to admit that it's probably going to really be about drinking beer. I made four kinds of eggs, in multiple jars, so that I can pick the best prior to judging day. I have a curry-garlic egg, a Jamaican jerk, a Thai-inspired one, and for no particular reason, a blueberry habanero version.

Next time I make pickled eggs I'm definitely going to try THP's advice. I'll post pics and such.

Back