• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickled "Everything"

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
LMAO  

I like Guinness, more than most of my buddies that i get a chance to drink beers with, and i have never drank close to ten :lol:

are you sure it was the mustard greens, and not a whole bag of any fermented fibrous vegetable consumed with lots of beer? ;)
:rofl:  :rofl:

:cheers:

Never had an issue before. But I will reveal that 30 seconds (or less)  difference it would have been very ugly.....  :shocked:

If you can believe it, I'd never had pickled red onions in my life, until about a month ago. So, obviously, this is the first time I've ever made them, lol. There's a billion different recipes out there, so I just combined a few, and was totally winging it. Ended up being the perfect amount for a wide mouth quart jar

The players:
(I ended up leaving the cumin out)
IMG_7093.JPG

-2 red onions
-12oz white wine vinegar
-(not pictured) 8oz water
-1/4 cup white sugar
-6 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
-1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
-1 teaspoon sea salt
-and (my first ripe pod of the season) a yellow Fatalii (minced)

Water, vinegar, sugar and salt into the pot and bring to a boil. Then, added everything else except the minced Fatalii. I wanted to keep that crunchy. Boil for another 5-10 minutes, until the onions soften up a little
IMG_7094.JPG

I layered the minced Fatalii in after every spoonful of onions into the jar
IMG_7095.JPG

Cooling on the counter right now. Once cool enough, it'll go into the fridge
IMG_7096.JPG

We'll see how it tastes in a week or two!

MikeUSMC said:
If you can believe it, I'd never had pickled red onions in my life, until about a month ago. So, obviously, this is the first time I've ever made them, lol. There's a billion different recipes out there, so I just combined a few, and was totally winging it. Ended up being the perfect amount for a wide mouth quart jar

The players:
(I ended up leaving the cumin out)
attachicon.gif
IMG_7093.JPG
-2 red onions
-12oz white wine vinegar
-(not pictured) 8oz water
-1/4 cup white sugar
-6 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
-1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
-1 teaspoon sea salt
-and (my first ripe pod of the season) a yellow Fatalii (minced)

Water, vinegar, sugar and salt into the pot and bring to a boil. Then, added everything else except the minced Fatalii. I wanted to keep that crunchy. Boil for another 5-10 minutes, until the onions soften up a little
attachicon.gif
IMG_7094.JPG

I layered the minced Fatalii in after every spoonful of onions into the jar
attachicon.gif
IMG_7095.JPG

Cooking on the counter right now. Once cool enough, it'll go into the fridge
attachicon.gif
IMG_7096.JPG

We'll see how it tastes in a week or two!
 l love pickled red onions. The way I do it is just slice the onion toss it into some apple cider vinegar and in a few hours they are perfect. I still like a little crunch to them, after a day or so they get to limp for me. Let us know how yours turn out. Cheers 

I like to pickle them with salt, lime juice and jalapeno then add that to tacos.  Or whatever I happen to be eating at the time.  I'll usually do about 1/2 an onion to the juice of 3 limes & 1 jalapeno, then add about 1/2 tsp salt.  Put it in a small tupperware on the counter top and shake whenever you walk by.  Ready to eat in 2-3 hours, even better the next day.

Simply can't have a fish taco without pickled onions!

There are always pickles on every PA Dutch dinner table.  Growing up, it was GrandMa's chow-chow!  Sweet, hot and sour, it was what she did with the last of the veggies out of the garden, along with a few beans.  I am wishing I had that recipe.  Right after she passed, my mother gave me the opportunity to photocopy whatever I wanted of GrandMa's recipes, but I don't remember seeing her "pickle" recipe.  

I do have the lemon, butter & Worcestershire basting sauce for her barbequed chicken!

The jar on the right what her chow-chow was like.  She always wanted it to look nice.

Chow-chow.jpg

today i did refrigerator pickles and pickled red cabbage. i`ve done the cukes many times but the first time for the red cabbage. i did pickled red onion a couple of weeks ago which came out great.  the cukes weren't pickling cucumbers, they were regular type but had too many on hand and wanted to put them to use. i used ACV for both threw a half a vidalia onion in with the cukes. sugar, salt, black peppercorns, caraway seeds, serrano powder in both and a little turmeric powder in the cukes. 

20200627_151946_resized.jpg

20200627_164349_resized.jpg

20200627_170044_resized.jpg

20200627_173217_resized.jpg

Korean style pickled radish. I stain mine with turmeric so it looks more like danmuji. Its a common side with fried chicken. Very simple to make. Mostly just rice wine vinegar and sugar. I weep the radish first in salt and sugar. Drain and stain with tumeric. Give it a quick rinse before its goes in the jar with the brine. Salt in this recipe is completely optional if watching your sodium intake.
EqOdOdK.jpg

lt5d3Ci.jpg

Korean fusion of classic cukes and onions. 50/50 organic cider/rice wine vinegar. 50/50 salt/sugar, "seedless cuke", red onion and gochugaru. This would normally have some soy sauce and sesame oil but that can always be added at serving.

About a cup of vinegar total
1 tsp each: sea salt, sugar and gochugaru
1 cuke a bit over a foot long and half a red onion.

Pretty tasty within a couple hours too.
SoUt3pC.jpg

Back