• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickled "Everything"

The Hot Pepper said:
Just guessing by the gas bomb comment.
I probably did over cook them. The gas bomb was the chemical reaction from the unshelled eggs and vinegar brine. My kitchen was filled with something that wasn’t O2. It was kinda like cleaning the bathroom with bleach and ammonia at the same time. I could see plumes rising from the jars. Vinegar +eggshells = [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hot Pepper said:

What about fruit? I like pickled peppers. ;)
Pickled peppers rock! So does the pepper vinegar.

Attachments

• 20170614_204355001_1516576072118.jpg
    20170614_204355001_1516576072118.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 134
PtMD989 said:
Got a HOW NOT TOfor you all. Many years ago I wanted to make pickled eggs, only recipe I had was for canned pickled pike. I hard boiled 1 1/2 dozen eggs, made the brine for pike and put the eggs in my mason jars, proceeded to pour the brine into the jars. I wasn’t smart enough to shell the eggs after cooking them. The chemical reaction from the vinegar and egg shells was something else. Had a fun time pulling the eggs out of the jars to shell them so I could finish the project. “Homemade gas bomb “

lol, we did that in chemistry as a kid to show that vinegar changes the egg shell to rubber LOL.

dragonsfire said:
Nope and the Saskatchewan river that runs here I would not eat anything out of their, lots of fishermen their but I have a problem with water that you cant see benith the surface and the cities dumps their "Water" into the river.
Well that sucks!!! Just blew my whole picture of the great white north. I thought that was just an USA problem.

HopsNBarley said:
I think I've had about everything mentioned in here so far and have a few to add.

Beets
Daikon/Radish
Umeboshi
Garic/Ginger
Watermelon Rind

I could go for some pigs feet with cornbread and sorghum butter right now

I had to look up Umeboshi. Oddly enough, I think I saw some in a store just today, wasn't looking for it but now I know. Another thing to try... thanks.

I've debated for days whether to mention or not. But in the interest of fair play, I will do so.

Concerning pickled mustard greens eaten straight out of the bag:

Pickled mustard greens eaten straight out of the bag - awesome!

Drinking the better part of a Guinness twelve pack while doing so - equally awesome!

Working the next day - not so good.

Please enjoy both, but do not combine the two. Luckily, I have lights and siren....

WarrantMan said:
I've debated for days whether to mention or not. But in the interest of fair play, I will do so.

Concerning pickled mustard greens eaten straight out of the bag:

Pickled mustard greens eaten straight out of the bag - awesome!

Drinking the better part of a Guinness twelve pack while doing so - equally awesome!

Working the next day - not so good.

Please enjoy both, but do not combine the two. Luckily, I have lights and siren....

LMAO  

I like Guinness, more than most of my buddies that i get a chance to drink beers with, and i have never drank close to ten :lol:

are you sure it was the mustard greens, and not a whole bag of any fermented fibrous vegetable consumed with lots of beer? ;)
:rofl:  :rofl:

:cheers:

Back