• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickled "Everything"

Haha! I would. I have a half gallon of it fermenting (my first time) since last summer, lol. I'm afraid to "can" it (BWB) because I don't want to lose the crunchy texture. I just keep putting off processing it, and just keep refilling the airlock. I'll tell my wife to keep topping off the airlock after I die :rofl:

Maybe I should just "hot pack" it w/ 50/50 water/vinegar?

WarrantMan said:

tctenten,

I've gone as far as PA with the pickled meats, is there no such thing further in the great white north?
I'm in Minnesota and there is pickled pigs feet here too. Also chicken feet. And I know quite a few ppl that pickle their venison as well. I like pickled eggs myself, and my homemade spicy pickled cucumbers lol with Carolina reapers in them. Extremely hot but they're so delicious you have to eat it all.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

MikeUSMC said:
How has nobody mentioned "PICKLESE" yet?! WTF?! That stuff is sooooooooooo freakin' good!

Warrant Man, check out this thread:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/22119-pickleseyou-have-to-try-this/

A lot of the pics are gone, but the recipes are still there

Just ran through the thread, thank you! Never tried it before, but no so far away I won't be able to say that. Sounds great.

DrOwl said:
I'm in Minnesota and there is pickled pigs feet here too. Also chicken feet. And I know quite a few ppl that pickle their venison as well. I like pickled eggs myself, and my homemade spicy pickled cucumbers lol with Carolina reapers in them. Extremely hot but they're so delicious you have to eat it all.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Ha! I just knew it had to be broader than I initially suspected. I have yet to try pickled fish of any sort, but if opportunity presents itself I will give it a whirl. Pickled venison, I've honestly never heard of. But, again I would try it.  Thanks for sharing. 

Got a HOW NOT TOfor you all. Many years ago I wanted to make pickled eggs, only recipe I had was for canned pickled pike. I hard boiled 1 1/2 dozen eggs, made the brine for pike and put the eggs in my mason jars, proceeded to pour the brine into the jars. I wasn’t smart enough to shell the eggs after cooking them. The chemical reaction from the vinegar and egg shells was something else. Had a fun time pulling the eggs out of the jars to shell them so I could finish the project. “Homemade gas bomb “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Got a HOW NOT TOfor you all. Many years ago I wanted to make pickled eggs, only recipe I had was for canned pickled pike. I hard boiled 1 1/2 dozen eggs, made the brine for pike and put the eggs in my mason jars, proceeded to pour the brine into the jars. I wasnt smart enough to shell the eggs after cooking them. The chemical reaction from the vinegar and egg shells was something else. Had a fun time pulling the eggs out of the jars to shell them so I could finish the project. Homemade gas bomb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... did you eat them?

Muckyai,

Didn't feel like cooking, so I went back to the store. They had several other brands that didn't indicate any cooking was needed. When I asked the difference, no one really had an answer. So I ate it straight out of the bag cold. The outer leaves were a little tough and chewy, but beyond that it was great! A real intense flavor, not like sauerkraut as I kinda expected, very unique. Very salty but right up my alley/palette. Thanks again for sharing. It is delicious and very cheap, I might pack some in my lunchbox. Provided that it doesn't "hurt my feelings" later tonight.

Back