• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickled Peppers...

Is there a method of pickling peppers without boiling the liquids involved? I have a pal who swears her mom always did it with cold vinegar and pickling spices, but every recipe I have found on the 'net requires the ingredients be boiled...:crazy:

Yes, you can ferment, or pickle in the refrigerator. If the later it needs to always be refrigerated.

do searches for cold pack, cold-pack, or refrigerator pickles. I just did a quick search and came up with some recipes. I'll go back and see if I can find a good looking recipe-

SL

here's a pretty good recipe. says to leave in cool place for 24 hours, then refrigerate.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/l/content/shared/oh/food/recipes/swg081306canning1.html

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Refrigerator-Pickles/Detail.aspx

and another-
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1646440

that should give you something to start with. Just make sure you slit the peppers so the brine can get to the inside of the peppers also.
Have Fun-

edit- you may want to boil the brine first and then let it cool if you are having trouble getting the salt and/or sugar to dissolve. Also, use pickling salt, or at least kosher salt, other salts will make it cloudy.

"From a depression cookbook-
boil 1 quart water with 1 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup salt. Cool-
Pack cucumbers in sterilized jars with sprays of dill, pour cooled brine to within 1/4" of top of jar. Seal, refrigerate. Brine becomes cloudy but then clears in a few days."

This recipe calls for "salt" which was probably table salt, hence the reference to "cloudy". Using the pickling or kosher salt would likely eliminate that problem.

Great stuff, folks - thanks!

Later...

I checked out all three links and the first one is almost exactly what my pal was describing. Thanks, salsalady.

I imagine the boiling of ingredients is the correct way to go, though, if you have a lot of pickling to do and will have the pickles for three or four months?

huntsman said:
I imagine the boiling of ingredients is the correct way to go, though, if you have a lot of pickling to do and will have the pickles for three or four months?

Can you clarify this question?
Are you talking about boiling the brine/brine & cukes or boiling in a hot water bath or making multiple batches over 3-4 months or keeping the batch you made for 3-4 months?

Sorry, maybe I just need another cup of coffee to kick the brain into gear to understand.
:crazy:SL

I keep a large jar of pickle brine in the fridge. When the twins eat all the "pickles", I simply re-fill it with more quartered (spears) cucumber.

I also have a smaller spiked jar I keep filled with habaneros, onions, and cucumber slices.

YUM!!!

salsalady said:
Can you clarify this question?
Are you talking about boiling the brine/brine & cukes or boiling in a hot water bath or making multiple batches over 3-4 months or keeping the batch you made for 3-4 months?

Sorry, maybe I just need another cup of coffee to kick the brain into gear to understand.
:crazy:SL

Heh heh!

Hard to explain a process I don't really understand, but I meant that I guess if you are going to keep the pickles for any length of time, some form of boiling or heating will be required (for safety). Is this a fair assumption?

That sounds like a great plan, paulky! On stream pickles, eh? ;-)

Huntsman,

most of the recipes I saw referenced keeping the pickles in the refrigerator for 3-6 months. That was with the cold pack method (whether or not the brine was boiled to dissolve the salt, the cukes were NOT heated/boiled). For anything longer than 6 months in the refer, you'd have to do some more research.

And definitely, if you want them shelf-stable, you already know they have to be canned in the hot water bath.

paulky's never-ending pickle jar sounds cool. We don't eat enough pickles to warrant having a whole lot on hand. Only thing we really use them in is tuna salad and potato salad. (hint, hint, paulky....HOMEMADE potato salad! LOL) Don't even THINK about bringing Reser's to our house!

Anyway, I know we're talking about pickles mostly here, but the same principles apply to pickled vegetables or chiles.

Good luck.....send pics~

paulky_2000 said:
I keep a large jar of pickle brine in the fridge. When the twins eat all the "pickles", I simply re-fill it with more quartered (spears) cucumber.

I also have a smaller spiked jar I keep filled with habaneros, onions, and cucumber slices.

YUM!!!

Would you not need to add more vinegar and spices over time?

Back