• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Pics of My Early Starts

Update:

Well as expectected both have bushed and stretched out more, the SB definitely more so than the fatalii. I cut the light down even more to hold em back a little. I may need to pull back on watering too, cause there really starting to spread.

Foodarama SB
1298641175.jpg

Though both are flowering the SB is the 1st to have some fully open.

1298641432.jpg

A little closer - there's a few others throughout the plant but none seem to have any pollen. I still cross swabbed with a brush, just to see what happens.

1298641388.jpg

I find this to be pretty neat in that both are still just pushing past about 6". This photo may give you all a better perspective on the size of this plant.

1298641284.jpg

At this point, I'm thinking startin em super earl is definitely a go! I'll just need to start them a wee bit later if I plan on having more than 4 or so plants in my little space.

Didnt realise they were under a artificial light. My first attempt at a chilli plant last year produced leaves probably 1/4 size of those.

If you dont mind me asking what type of light are you using?

Great looking plants by the way!

If you dont mind me asking what type of light are you using?

Not at all.

For these two (and a 3rd I gave away) I only used two compact flouros (cool white) of about 26 or so watts a piece (don't remember) attached to a Y-shaped duel socket styled adapter which is screwed into a old salvaged metal lamp shade. This has grown these gals to the size you see now. I also have a 150watt HPS that i used to cover all my other starters....those were started later though around mid January. Now due to the size of these two, I'm switching them around with the starters since their all still small enough to fit under the metal shade.

could you please give more info about how many hours you were
giving and type of light for how long(how many days etc.) before you "cut" the hours from
to where you are now?

it sounds almost as if the lighting period may have induced flower production?

even though it ain't popular to figure peppers are photoperiod sensitive
we "may" find some actually do act that way

i am theorizing that it may be possible to "fool" {some of them} them into podding early :dance:

edit: even if they will not be fooled those look absolutely luscious and i want to attempt to duplicate that!

Thanks again Everyone!

Nitwit - I was thinking the same thing cause Im really surprised to see flowers at their current height. Because this all started out more as a "just to see" sort of thing, I wasn't as detailed with things like actual date started or date I switched over to 12/12, but Im pretty sure my guestimates aren't too far off. I started all three with the same (oven sterilized) soil that my Jan starters got and haven't fed them anything but water, tablespoon unsulphered malasses, and initial shot of superthrive. Thats it, so I'm inclined to think that whats made the difference (because my january starts are no where near as compact or lush) is the distance from my lights. With only 3 plants to worry about it's very easy to adjust the height as they grow, not so with 8 or so plants. That said, here's the timeline of what I've done.

Planted late November (possibly really early december but really think it was after Thanksgiving)

Plants had to sprout by Mid December cause I know for a fact that I had to go to 12/12 by mid January because thats around the time I gave my 3rd plant to my mom cause they were growing too fast and I needed room for my other starts.

12/12 kept them compact for about a month, cause they started to spread out a bit round Mid Feb.

Now we're where you see my plants currently and the Foodarama has really bushed out with the fatalii not too far behind, but noticably smaller. I do remember however that the foodarama SB sprouted before others as well. Probably by about 3 days to a week.

The lights used have always been the 2 cool white flouros. My HPS was added in Mid Jan for my other starts, but these 2 weren't directly under it, so I can't really say that contributed much to it.

Thats about it I think. If you have any more questions feel free to give me a shout.

Capitone

thanks for responding to me :crazy: questioning

will have to look at the big home improve store for some of those high watt cfl jobbers
would appreciate if you can see a "color rating on them like 2800K, 3000K or such?
maybe color rating is just cool white like you noted before?

edited because i want more info

thanks for responding to me :crazy: questioning

will have to look at the big home improve store for some of those high watt cfl jobbers
would appreciate if you can see a "color rating on them like 2800K, 3000K or such?
maybe color rating is just cool white like you noted before?

edited because i want more info

No prob nitwit. Cool white is the color rating. Anything over 5k should put you in this range. Anything below 3k is usually going to be in your "warm white" range. The cfls I'm using aren't what I would consider high wattage. There 20 something a piece. I'll take a look at em tonight and let you know the exact wattage and stated temp.

so i bought some 27 watt jobbers
daylight 5000K 1750 lumens
and a timer
and a shade
and a wye

man this seems as bright as (i remember)those vita lite power twisters :eek:

now what distance from plant tops have you been maintaining?

i will try one foot to start
and lower by two inches
until i start to burn a tomato i have under there

no, one foot too far,
now down to 6 inches :cool:
edited for four times light power and light info

Hey nitwit, 6" sounds like a good start. Once you get ur 1st set of true leaves, I'd put it to about 3 - 4". The great thing about these lower watt CFLs is the lower heat allows you to get away with getting really close to the plant.

Tip: before moving em closer than 6", place the back of your hand under your lights at the same distance. If it doesn't get uncomfortable your plants should be good with the distance.

Ps- what do you mean by "wye"?

oh the wye thingie
it is the screw this into the socket
and you can screw two into here thingie :woohoo:

you called it Y shaped

suppose it could be called a splitter a duelist or doubler
but them things almost always are something different

it is a plumbing term to be different than a lateral( another three hole fitting)
sometimes it is called a "true wye"

oh the wye thingie
it is the screw this into the socket
and you can screw two into here thingie :woohoo:

you called it Y shaped

suppose it could be called a splitter a duelist or doubler
but them things almost always are something different

it is a plumbing term to be different than a lateral( another three hole fitting)
sometimes it is called a "true wye"
I was thinking about getting one of those to angle my bulb downward as I'm using a table lamp w/ a shade. I might get one of these that is suitable for an 3-way, 100-watt output CFL
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lighting-fans/fluorescent-lighting/leviton/660-watt-white-keyless-twin-socket-adapter-lampholder-38414.html

Back