• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Picture of "Grow Garage"

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
Since I can't build a greenhouse in my back yard, the wife has graciously compromised and let me convert our garage into a grow room (as long as there is room for her car)

Here is a picture of my "grow garage"

garagegrowroomyz1.jpg

ABF - No CFL's, just plain ol fluorescent lights.

Thanks Omri...

I was going show off the new setup I'm building, but after that... :
BTW, I like tubes best. CFLs are weird.

AJ when do you figure you've crossed that line from hobbyist to fruitcake?

Very nice. I think I'm going to have to dig myself a cellar.

:) WOW!!!

AJ,

With a setup like that you could easily go commercial...Looks great. I wish I had more room. I think I am going to have to walk around some and see about where I can spread out. My small closet is quickly becoming too small. But, I definitely don't have the room that you do, that looks great.

Thanks All....

Thanks for the compliments all.

bentalphanerd said:
AJ when do you figure you've crossed that line from hobbyist to fruitcake?

Very nice. I think I'm going to have to dig myself a cellar.

The wife thinks I have already crossed that line. :lol:

mudatvs said:
With a setup like that you could easily go commercial...Looks great. But, I definitely don't have the room that you do, that looks great.

My garage is a "two car" garage but my 2500HD GMC is too long to fit length wise and the camper top is too high to get under the garage door so I have half the garage to work with. Wife drives a little Chevy HHR so there is plenty of room for me to play.

I am trying to get set up for retirement in 17 months 15 days (but who's counting). I am planning on trying to sell some seedlings to offset the expense of my hobby. Business name will be "AlabamaJacks Exotic Pepper Plants - Fire for Heat Lovers" or something like that" is how I will advertise. If I find there is a market for good seedlings of the exotic nature such as Naga Morichs, T. Scorpions, Bhut Jolokias, 7 Pod/Pots, etc., I think I can talk the wife into letting me expand even a little further. I have a 12' X 16' storage building out back I use as a work shop and could easily put a 16' long, 6' high (three tiers) grow area like the one I built in the garage which will let me bring off probably close to 1000 more seedlings. I have another project I will complete in the "off season" and that is to change the 16" wide shelves in my grow area to 24" and add another row of lights. Another 8" will inrease my capacity by about 50%.

billyboy said:
yep, thats an awesome setup AJ, :cheers:

That's a real compliment coming from you BB knowing what setup you have and your 7' Nagas.

thepodpiper said:
Very nice AJ, I am definetly going to get me some mylar.

Dale

Dale, the mylar is one of the best tips anyone has given me since I have been a member and it is not that expensive relatively speaking.

OK...what do you want done and I need a drawing of the area....do you want ceramic tile, linoleum, astroturf?

Haven't been to South Carolina since 73 other than a week at Myrtle Beach plaing gold 18 years ago.

LUCKYDOG said:
Wow.... nicely done and neat and clean.... where does one find mylar? at party shops?

Thanks LD....I got my mylar at the local hydroponics shop...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........the wife just told me I could rip out the boxwoods in the flower bed in front of the house and plant peppers in there...will be a great place...water faucet right there and the bed will be facing south....there is a Bradford Pear tree that is about 14-16 feet tall that will block this murderous summer north texas mid-day summer sun....now what to grow...seems like a good place for my contest Nagas unless they get 7' tall like BBs....the bed is about 2 feet wide and about 12 feet long...

Thanks I'll check around. Thats what I am looking to do in the beds around the patio and a few plants on the side. Hey the flower, decent height and have colorful peppers seems like a win win situation.

realy nice job !!! wow !!! your are lucky to have a big place like that to grow your pepper !!!
does all those pepper will go out ??

Do you usually leave your garage door open or closed? Some of the neighbors must be asking themselves what is he really growing over their ;) Looks great, I envy your setup.

At first when you were building the grow box and germinator and put plexiglass on front I was questioning it. But I really like the plexiglass look now and being able to see your plants at all times is really nice. There has got to be an award for greatest first year pepper grower and you are high on the list. All this TLC now should really pay off later this year.;)

Thank you all for the compliments...I would not be where I am now with my growing if it weren't for the wonderful membership here....hints on every facet of how to grow...I am indebted to all members of THP...

QuebecFire said:
realy nice job !!! wow !!! your are lucky to have a big place like that to grow your pepper !!!
does all those pepper will go out ??

Only 200 of the finest pepper plants and about 40 tomato plants will go out....the rest will be given away or go in the bin...next year I hope to start selling some of my seedlings...am thinking about taking orders in Nov-Dec to see what the response will be....and the end of March, I will deliver about a 10-14" seedling ready for hardening off...

I am just going to grow them in 5 gallon containers QF.

Straticus said:
Do you usually leave your garage door open or closed? Some of the neighbors must be asking themselves what is he really growing over their ;) Looks great, I envy your setup.

When the days are warm and I am at home, the garage door is wide open...it is just getting time that the garage door will be open more than closed when I am here...I want the police to come by and I will stop them and show them what I am growing to save me being woken up at 3AM with a search warrant for growing the other cash crop...

bowhunter said:
AJ all has been said, but way to grow nice job
Dan

LET IT BURN

Thank you Dan...

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
At first when you were building the grow box and germinator and put plexiglass on front I was questioning it. But I really like the plexiglass look now and being able to see your plants at all times is really nice. There has got to be an award for greatest first year pepper grower and you are high on the list. All this TLC now should really pay off later this year.;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence PRF and if I don't have a good harvest this year, it won't be because I have not tried....

Back