Plants not growing

Any idea why these are not growing? Are they just building a ginormous root system in their new pot and preparing to take over the world, or are they just screwed?

23 Mar
Large_Orange_Thai.jpg

15 Apr
LOT_4_15.jpg

Here is a third I had in a solo cup for comparison o what they should have been doing.  Obviously 2 will be culled at some point btw.
New_LOT_4_16.jpg

Was the solo cup plant under a light? They could be producing a bigger root system, but I would have thought they would have displayed a bit more growth up top.

Not enough sun, too many nutrients in soil causing nutrient lock . Too big of a pot for such a little guy ? Could be any of those . Soil staying too damp. I would relocate to smaller containers . Easier to water and or not over water . 

I prefer the step up method . Never had much luck going straight from a starter to a 10 gallon pot . 

Pinhigh said:
Was the solo cup plant under a light? They could be producing a bigger root system, but I would have thought they would have displayed a bit more growth up top.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If I had one guess without knowing anything about them...stalled due to temperature. 
Nope, solo was outdoors.  It was under a very large trellis providing a ton of shade.  It has been outdoors just as long as the ones in the pot were.  So I doubt it was temp stall either.
romy6 said:
 Not enough sun, too many nutrients in soil causing nutrient lock . Too big of a pot for such a little guy ? Could be any of those . Soil staying too damp. I would relocate to smaller containers . Easier to water and or not over water . 

I prefer the step up method . Never had much luck going straight from a starter to a 10 gallon pot . 
The solo received much less sun than the potted ones.  Could be the soil, but it is just compost, pine fines, and top soil.  No real amendments.  If you thought 10g was too big btw, this is a 30g pot.

Want to mention what I don't see anyone else adding: DNA

Often a person can spend a small fortune on seed and you want to make sure each one matures.  No problem with that.  I do it myself.  But when it comes to saving seeds, save from the plants that did well and use the other pods for cooking.  Then next year, plant many more than you have room for and cull, cull, cull at an early age.  With every generation, your plants will get better and better.

We always want to think we are the ones that screwed up.  Sometimes mother nature just thew an odd ball batch of runts and there is nothing we can do to fix them.

With such a large pot, overwatering might be an issue. Just too large of soil volume for the plant's (relatively) tiny root system to dry out in a timely manner. Peppers don't like their roots to stay wet.
     If you've gotten any considerable rain since plant out, that my be putting it over the edge.
     Good luck!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Just because Solo is out door does not rule out temp, solo cup warms up much faster than all the soil in that pot. 

I was thinking the same thing. But wouldn't the fact that the big pot is in the sun allow its larger mass to retain more heat at night?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I was thinking the same thing. But wouldn't the fact that the big pot is in the sun allow its larger mass to retain more heat at night?
If 30 gallons gets warm maybe but I had the exact same issue last season with plants in Wallybags in full southern sun. Could be many things and he asked so I made my assumption and replied ;) 

Steve are a few of those the large orange thai? Because 2 out of my 3 orange thai just refused to get going. They stayed small and are just now getting going since Valentines Day. I only had the one plant really take off like it should out of the 3.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     OP, got a thermometer?
Soil temp right now is 69 degrees.  It is 61 and overcast outside.  My nightlys have been over 55 for weeks.

Yellowfin2na said:
Steve are a few of those the large orange thai? Because 2 out of my 3 orange thai just refused to get going. They stayed small and are just now getting going since Valentines Day. I only had the one plant really take off like it should out of the 3.
Yes they are.  Avoided saying that for fear of comments about how I should kick start their growth with a strong bleach solution or something like that.

Yellowfin2na said:
Same here. Mine have grown more than Steves's, but I have other annum seeds that I started same time and after that are twice the size. Mine have been slow from the get go. Slow to germinate, set true leaves and now they finally seem to be moving.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Just because Solo is out door does not rule out temp, solo cup warms up much faster than all the soil in that pot. 
gotta agree with chris , much cooler in the bigger container till a real warm up happens . vs. a solo cup .     

If all else fails, give them a little more time. 2 years ago I had a moruga scorpion that that did the same thing, (Pic below). I only had the one growing so I waited it out and it caught up to the others in the pic, and then some.

Not the small one in the upper left, the small one in the lower right.
20130627_164711.jpg

Again the lower right.
20130728_163352.jpg

It is one of these.
20130821_170435.jpg

CAPCOM said:
If all else fails, give them a little more time. 2 years ago I had a moruga scorpion that that did the same thing, (Pic below). I only had the one growing so I waited it out and it caught up to the others in the pic, and then some.

Not the small one in the upper left, the small one in the lower right.
attachicon.gif
20130627_164711.jpg

Again the lower right.
attachicon.gif
20130728_163352.jpg

It is one of these.
attachicon.gif
20130821_170435.jpg

So eventually your saying it kicked start and grew to size if I followed along correctly?

Yellowfin2na said:
So eventually your saying it kicked start and grew to size if I followed along correctly?
It could, I cant say it will, no one can. but its getting late in the year to restart and you really dont have anything to lose by waiting.
The small pepper in my pics had one set of true leaves for a whole month.

Back