• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Podlover's glog 2019

Hello all,
In anticipation of the new season I thought I'd start my glog. Plan is tot sow in february maybe using some T8's or like last year just on the window sill. Mid may everything goes in my 2 greenhouses.

I have 3 Reapers, 2 Habanero Mustards, 1 Mme. Jeanette and 3 7pod Caramels(1red pheno, 2 caramel) overwintering. All sown feb 2018 except the Mme.Jeanette in feb 2017.
2019-01-08 20.47.19.jpg
2019-01-08 20.46.28.jpg

New seeds for this season are:
Anaheim
Hungarian Hot Wax
Naga Morich
Pimientos de Padrón
Rocoto Yellow
7 Pod Brain Strain Red
7 Pod Bubblegum
7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic Red
Tabasco
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Red

And Serrano & Jalapeno which I also grew last season.
Can't wait to get started!

Was crazy hot last week, this week temp is down and it's a bit more cloudy. Plants seem to like that it's cooled down a bit.

Here is one of my tunnel greenhouses
IMG_20190801_212808.jpg

The chinense's are flowering, except for the 7pod Bubblegum. The rocoto is doing great, one of the bigger plants, hope I can get it to set fruit. No open flower yet.

Rocoto yellow
rocoto y.jpg

Mme Jeannette flowering into season 3
j.jpg

Reaper season 2
reaper 1.jpg

7pod Caramel season 2
cara.jpg

Naga Morich
Naga 1.jpg

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Red
Trinidad m.jpg

Pretty happy considering the aphid and sunburn attack they endured. Plants would have been bigger but looks like I'll stil get a somewhat decent harvest.

Lesson learned I geuss, the aphid infestation came from the ow's. Next ow's will get a different treatment and will be isolated from anything else. Just don't know where that will be yet

Trying to isolate some flowers with teabags, crosses and self pollination. No luck yet, one looked good but fell of a couple of days after removing the bag. I'll keep trying!

That season 2 reaper looks like it's getting ready to go off!  Looking forward to seeing your yellow rocoto produce as well.  Have you grown that same rococo variety before - do you know what to expect from the pods?

I've been having drop lately in my trues and crosses since the heat ramped up recently.  Might make some adjustments if it doesn't improve shortly.

CaneDog said:
That season 2 reaper looks like it's getting ready to go off!  Looking forward to seeing your yellow rocoto produce as well.  Have you grown that same rococo variety before - do you know what to expect from the pods?

I've been having drop lately in my trues and crosses since the heat ramped up recently.  Might make some adjustments if it doesn't improve shortly.
Thanks Canedog, the reaper is full of flowers. Last year it did not flower so prolifically and only set a couple of pods.

Have never grown any rocoto's before, never tasted one either. Love the plant though and am looking forward to tasting it's pods. If it sets fruit that is!

Mr.joe said:
Looks like an impressive grow you have going. Glad your weather is cooperating, I hope my weather cools off some soon.
Thanks Joe, heat is good but to much is to much. Hope you get some perfect pepper weather.

Just had a look at some pics from last season and by this time last year I already harvested a load of tomatoes and a few peppers. Plants where loaded with fruit. Now the chinense's are flowering and a couple just stared setting the first pods. What a difference.

Hope September and October stays hot and sunny enough this year otherwise they might not have the time to ripen.. Even my ow's are slower then last year's from seed.

Finally getting some chinense pods, though they are hard to find and photograph. I always end up crowding the greenhouses, just don't have enough space.. need more greenhouses or a really big one!

Naga Morich baby pods
IMG_20190820_201507.jpg

IMG_20190820_201451.jpg

Podlover said:
Finally getting some chinense pods, though they are hard to find and photograph. I always end up crowding the greenhouses, just don't have enough space.. need more greenhouses or a really big one!

Nice find with the Naga Morich pods PL.  I find with my plants in the ground and raised beds that I'll overlook pods until one day I lift the branches and am happily surprised by a bunch of good pods.

I'm still looking forward to just 1 greenhouse, but I can assure you, the very season I get it I'll be looking forward to the second or larger one!

Gotta love those roasted Padrons, Burt.

Ate a plateful with some Paella and Red
Rocotos just last night   :drooling:

I pick them at about an inch-and-a-half in
length and still sort of pointed.

When they get big and red, they make great
stuffing peppers.

CaneDog said:

I'm still looking forward to just 1 greenhouse, but I can assure you, the very season I get it I'll be looking forward to the second or larger one!
One can never have enough space for peppers!

PaulG said:
Gotta love those roasted Padrons, Burt.

Ate a plateful with some Paella and Red
Rocotos just last night   :drooling:

I pick them at about an inch-and-a-half in
length and still sort of pointed.

When they get big and red, they make great
stuffing peppers.
Yeah they taste great! Tried a fresh red one and was surprised by the heat.

Found some more pods, finally!

Ow 7pod caramel, same plant as my profile picture but that was taken at the beginning of august:
IMG_20190827_201514.jpg

Naga Morich:

IMG_20190827_204929.jpg

A rocoto flower, plant is the biggest of my peppers, loaded with flowers:
IMG_20190827_204948.jpg

Back