• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Poppers baking temp?

Hi

Today I've tried for the first time to make poppers. I don't have jalapenos so I went with went habs...

Anyway, everywhere I found on the web, the cooking temperature in the oven was 365-400F for 20-25min. I used 375 (190C) and after 5 minutes my whole house was full of smoke.. after another 5 I stopped the oven because the bacon was mostly burnt.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks!

All I would suggest is dropping the temp down to 325f. Bacon will crisp up fine at that temp  although it may take up to 30 minutes depending on the thickness of the bacon.

The habs, being as small and thin walled as they are, I find it easier to just stuff, then toss them into a beer batter and a deep fryer or frying skillet.

They're addictive that way and its easy to eat too many.

You'll be sorry the next morning if you do.

My wife's the main popper cooker in the house and she sets the oven to 350 for about 20 minutes. We usually use thick cut bacon though. Habanero poppers are awesome!

I like to partially cook the bacon till its in that not-so-cooked-jiggly stage  enough so I can wrap that way the bacon will crisp on the popper and the pepper wont get to soft or anything melt out...as much. I bake or grill at 350F
and since finding the candied bacon popper thread everyone loves I mean LOVES them!! 

Back