• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Poppers - why remove the seeds?

Removing the seeds (and thus the placenta) robs the popper of much of its heat, as I learned a few nights ago, so why do it? ;)

If you are making poppers with jalapenos most of them have plenty of heat in the pepper itself. Some people prefer not to get a mouthful of seeds when they eat their poppers. JMO

If you take the time and remove only the seeds or reimplant the placenta in the stuffing no heat will be lost. Removing the seeds offers a lot more space for the stuffing. That's why I do it.

I remove the seeds and some of the placenta when I make Jalapeno poppers...but my stuffing has added heat to it in the form of some of the superhots...

agree with not wanting a mouth full of seeds...

some people say the seeds themselves impart a "bitter" flavor...but when I make puree, the only thing removed is the stem...and I don't find any bitter flavor there

If you're worried about losing heat then use a hotter pepper or add heat, seeds aren't very enjoyable to eat and its hard to remove seeds while leaving placental tissue
Try eating just seeds and you'll see how they are bitter and hard with no enjoyable taste

POTAWIE said:
Try eating just seeds and you'll see how they are bitter

see, I told ya'.... :lol:

AlabamaJack said:
I remove the seeds and some of the placenta when I make Jalapeno poppers...agree with not wanting a mouth full of seeds...

but when I make puree, the only thing removed is the stem...and I don't find any bitter flavor there

Same same. AJ, I do not like seeds in my salsa and chilli pickles but puree....I never remove them as you wrote.

NJA

Much obliged!
The jap seems a great size to pop, so perhaps another way around the heat loss is to chop a hotter variety into the stuffing...? I chopped a few habs into mine, but with no noticeable change...

With poppers it's because you have to stuff them. ;)
I cut the top off and core them out with a corer.

Hehe yeah. If you have one of those apple corers they're perfect. Turn it a couple times, dump it out.

Back