Possible first time Spice seller?

thehotpepper.com said:
Why are you confused? How can you open a pizzeria without money? There's no sense in researching bureaucratic stuff like licenses and such if you have no means of opening one.
Well the pizza joint is a dream and probably will always be a dream but the spice could be real sense that's probably just very little money for business license and local spicer wholesaling.

I don't know I guess I'm just going to stay the way I am now. and forget my dream.

A dream is good to have, but save the research for when you have some capital. A pizzeria costs $$$.

A small spice business is more realistic.

thehotpepper.com said:
A dream is good to have, but save the research for when you have some capital. A pizzeria costs $$$.

A small spice business is more realistic.
Thanks THP,

I thought I could buy about 4 more dehydrators, 4-5 more grinders "magic bullets" and do some mass spice making at least and give them away to my friends in college and see how it goes at first, That would be for some real market research.

IMO, more dehydrators and Bullets may be fine for producing bigger amounts for your self and friends, but if ya start wanting to make pounds of powders for others...get heavier-duty machinery.

Here's a good thread on it: http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/cooking-equipment-reviews/46261-need-heavy-duty-spice-grinder.html

What you coudl do also is prefect & make a few blends, and just pass them around to friends or whoever...aka free product testing!

Sample vials and/or packages that you could put your contact info. and product info. on aren't expensive.

I have a Cusinart, a Braun Coffee grinder from the late 80's and a tuff old Osterizer blender that's about 30yrs old, and together they work well for what I want to do...so far.

But that's just for my own use atm. :)

GL!

I would recommend not going into business at the moment. Unless you have close and intense supervision from a mentor, the questions you are asking here are ones that you should have been able to find answers to by yourself. People do ask on here for input, and it is a good thing, but they are looking to fine tune an idea, not asking for a step by step guide (usually). Not trying to be rude, just my observation. Business by yourself is an amazingly easy way to lose money as well, something most students try to avoid.
Dont forget, something that is fun can easily be ruined by making it into work.

McGoo said:
I would recommend not going into business at the moment. Unless you have close and intense supervision from a mentor, the questions you are asking here are ones that you should have been able to find answers to by yourself. People do ask on here for input, and it is a good thing, but they are looking to fine tune an idea, not asking for a step by step guide (usually). Not trying to be rude, just my observation. Business by yourself is an amazingly easy way to lose money as well, something most students try to avoid.
Dont forget, something that is fun can easily be ruined by making it into work.

Well said McGoo. Derek, you have to do a LOT of research, and a LOT of planning, before jumping into the retail food market. Yes, there are upsides, but the downsides can quickly turn your bank account into a vacuous void. The legal end of things is the trickiest. Product AND personal liability come into play quickly, and unless you're thinking of starting a C-corp, you'll need plenty of both. Also, get a lawyer you can trust, and one that has food industry experience. I can't emphasize this enough, as lawyer 'research' fees can cost as much as an FDA fine.

You'll need a detailed business plan, as has been mentioned. This isn't only legally required, but you have to have some idea of the direction you want to take. Wandering around like an eyeless goat will quickly cost you money as well. Pick out specific market targets, and hit them hard. Starting up a company, especially a food company, is a lot of work. As I was told a few years ago by a good friend, "Anyone who jumps into this industry to make quick money, will soon be out of this industry". Diligence is the name of the game. If people don't know about you, they will never buy from you. Advertising can cost a ton of money, look at alternative advertising routes (get creative).

This may sound like a bit of a buzzkill, but trust me, better to know now, than to learn by subpoena.

The research isn't easy. You will only find bits and pieces of what you need to know on the net, this is why you will need a lawyer. It's not just "I just made a cool spice, now I will sell it on the net." Listen to Defcon. He has the experience.

QuadShotz said:
IMO, more dehydrators and Bullets may be fine for producing bigger amounts for your self and friends, but if ya start wanting to make pounds of powders for others...get heavier-duty machinery.

Here's a good thread on it: http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/cooking-equipment-reviews/46261-need-heavy-duty-spice-grinder.html

What you coudl do also is prefect & make a few blends, and just pass them around to friends or whoever...aka free product testing!

Sample vials and/or packages that you could put your contact info. and product info. on aren't expensive.

I have a Cusinart, a Braun Coffee grinder from the late 80's and a tuff old Osterizer blender that's about 30yrs old, and together they work well for what I want to do...so far.

But that's just for my own use atm. :)

GL!
Thanks quad, I'll take a look at the thread after dinner,

POTAWIE said:
What kinds of spices do you have in mind? You'll probably need an FDA approved dehyrator, and spice mills etc. as well as insurance and lawyers:(
Your basic spices, Habs, jalapenos, bhut spice, powders, so on.

thehotpepper.com said:
The research isn't easy. You will only find bits and pieces of what you need to know on the net, this is why you will need a lawyer. It's not just "I just made a cool spice, now I will sell it on the net." Listen to Defcon. He has the experience.
Will do and thank you THP, I wonder if defcon ready for an bombardment of questions :)

DEFCON Creator said:
I'll take questions, just don't swamp me. You are the one who wants to start up, I can help, but it's on you for the research.
Deal,

I've started to notice that the stores don't really have much spices "except for the ones that cooks use all the time"

PhatManDerek said:
Deal,

I've started to notice that the stores don't really have much spices "except for the ones that cooks use all the time"

there is a reason for that... in your area the spice varieties are different than the ones in my area.. market research - if the market for other spices was there, dont you think those stores would carry them as well?

i also sell gourmet spice blends, its the same as a hot sauce maker, you need a packer of sorts. most goverments(at least in my area) will not let you set up in your own house to produce,pkg and distribute without proper health inspections, proper licences..everything must be on the up and up... sorry so long winded..lol

no trying to discourage you but it takes alot to make and sell spices, as it does anything you want to market.

here's an idea, pkg some of your spices up....go to your local fleemarket etc.... buy a table for a weekend... see how it goes and how much work it is just to set up for one weekend... after that weekend, calculate your time,your costs and see if you are willing to commit to doing that all day long(sometimes all night long)....

sorry so long winded..lol

BamsBBQ said:
there is a reason for that... in your area the spice varieties are different than the ones in my area.. market research - if the market for other spices was there, dont you think those stores would carry them as well?

i also sell gourmet spice blends, its the same as a hot sauce maker, you need a packer of sorts. most goverments(at least in my area) will not let you set up in your own house to produce,pkg and distribute without proper health inspections, proper licences..everything must be on the up and up... sorry so long winded..lol

no trying to discourage you but it takes alot to make and sell spices, as it does anything you want to market.

here's an idea, pkg some of your spices up....go to your local fleemarket etc.... buy a table for a weekend... see how it goes and how much work it is just to set up for one weekend... after that weekend, calculate your time,your costs and see if you are willing to commit to doing that all day long(sometimes all night long)....

sorry so long winded..lol
Not really a long winded read, Its actually a pretty good Idea, But don't you have to register your product with the FDA first as THP pointed out, Even if its a trial run?

PhatManDerek said:
Not really a long winded read, Its actually a pretty good Idea, But don't you have to register your product with the FDA first as THP pointed out, Even if its a trial run?
He lives in Canada. You live in Michigan. Everywhere is different. Like someone said earlier, do some research (local gov't is a good start) instead of asking here step by step. No offense.

PhatManDerek said:

thats the joy of flee markets... if you look around a flee market at all the homemade stuff, you will notice no labels on the products but what they are and maybe whats in them.. its worth a look at anyways

thehotpepper.com said:
He lives in Canada. You live in Michigan. Everywhere is different. Like someone said earlier, do some research (local gov't is a good start) instead of asking here step by step. No offense.
None taken, I know you guys , Your all are trying to help me, And to help keep me out of trouble!

thehotpepper.com said:

yup i live in canada buttttttt

i just moved from flint michigan, lots of flee markets going on there... have see all kinds of canned goods being sold there... all kinds of homemade stuff... lots of bbq by the side of the road... michigan is pretty slack when it comes to stuff like that

BamsBBQ said:
yup i live in canada buttttttt

i just moved from flint michigan, lots of flee markets going on there... have see all kinds of canned goods being sold there... all kinds of homemade stuff... lots of bbq by the side of the road... michigan is pretty slack when it comes to stuff like that
Do you mean moved to flint Michigan? or from Michigan to Canada?

BamsBBQ said:
i just moved from flint in october to alpena then to canada in december, moved rest of my stuff here 2 weeks ago.
Very cool, I see you didn't stay for the Alpena fest.

My very first girlfriend was from Alpena, So I know about the little parade they have and Alpena fest they have after the parade.

Back