Possible first time Spice seller?

Hey Derek...Out of all seriousness listen to Defcon, THP and others. They know there stuff. They have been in the biz for a long time. Read the FDA website (lots of usefull info) I posted somewhere here on the site an email I got from the FDA that was packed with info and links.

Here ya go: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=4603

I have been trying for the last couple of years to get my sauces sauces commercially produced...kind of hard to do on limited funding as I am married with 3 kids the sauces go to the back burner quite often. I have won a couple of awards with my sauces as well.

Dyce51 said:
Hey Derek...Out of all seriousness listen to Defcon, THP and others. They know there stuff. They have been in the biz for a long time. Read the FDA website (lots of usefull info) I posted somewhere here on the site an email I got from the FDA that was packed with info and links.

Here ya go: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=4603

I have been trying for the last couple of years to get my sauces sauces commercially produced...kind of hard to do on limited funding as I am married with 3 kids the sauces go to the back burner quite often. I have won a couple of awards with my sauces as well.
Thank you very much Dyce, I'm looking right now, By the way Your funding maybe limited do to your wife & kinds, BUT your one very lucky man to have a wife & kids.

I know I can use the college programs to my advantage when I'm in school as long as I bust my ass, and put my foot in the right doors.

Thanks again for the link dyce.

Hey Derek, i dont know what you are taking in school but the school can help you out. mrs.bam goes to Lake Superior State U. and she said that you could talk to your program director he/she could also help you. first you need a business plan and go from there.. give him/her your idea they may have info for you as well as maybe make suggestions on course that you could take etc etc

BamsBBQ said:
Hey Derek, i dont know what you are taking in school but the school can help you out. mrs.bam goes to Lake Superior State U. and she said that you could talk to your program director he/she could also help you. first you need a business plan and go from there.. give him/her your idea they may have info for you as well as maybe make suggestions on course that you could take etc etc
That's kind of what I wanted to do for the Pizza joint, but I can do it for my spices,

but as others said I've got to get my ass in gear and do some research.

PhatManDerek said:
Deal,

I've started to notice that the stores don't really have much spices "except for the ones that cooks use all the time"

One reason is that your area is a 96% white, fairly small city. Mine is not a lot larger, but there's a lot of different cultures here if you look hard enough.

Generally speaking, the more fun and exotic seasonings come from diverse ethnic groups. Helps that I'm within 400mi to both Seattle and Vancouver..big importers of anything.

Imagine how happy I was to hit up the asian and mexican stores here when I found them! All sorts of goodies most ppl have never heard of. Star Anise? they got it. A 5lb bag of horseradish powder? Yup. Frozen whole skate? Wonderful on the grill with Sambal.

Just depends eh? :)

QuadShotz said:
One reason is that your area is a 96% white, an faily small city. Mine is not a lot larger, but there's a lot of different cultures here if you look hard enough.

Generally speaking, the more fun and exotic seasonings come from diverse ethnic groups.

Imagine how happy I was to hit up the asian and mexican stores here when I found them! All sorts of goodies most ppl have never heard of. Star Anise? they got it. A 5lb bag of horseradish powder? Yup. Frozen whole skate? Wonderful on the grill with Sambal.

Just depends eh? :)
I know what your saying Quadz, That's happened to me when I remembered about the Mexican store.

Derek,

The laws in OH are not consistent at all. I can all the tomatoes, both plants and fruit, I want and do not need any kind of license or permit (unless I start getting so large where income tax comes into the equation) but if I want to sell a jar of tomato juice, I have to have my establishment inspected, get permits, a license, scales, list all the ingredients, etc.

I plan on selling whole tomatoes and basil to a couple of stores this summer. If they want, they can also buy dehydrated peppers and make their own powder.

If I am wildly successful, in the future I can look into doing it commercially but presently I'm just interested in making $25-50 a week. That would fund my growing habit and even provide beer money!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Derek,

The laws in OH are not consistent at all. I can all the tomatoes, both plants and fruit, I want and do not need any kind of license or permit (unless I start getting so large where income tax comes into the equation) but if I want to sell a jar of tomato juice, I have to have my establishment inspected, get permits, a license, scales, list all the ingredients, etc.

I plan on selling whole tomatoes and basil to a couple of stores this summer. If they want, they can also buy dehydrated peppers and make their own powder.

If I am wildly successful, in the future I can look into doing it commercially but presently I'm just interested in making $25-50 a week. That would fund my growing habit and even provide beer money!

Mike
Hi Mike, that's pretty much what I want to do just make a little extra date money or how you said it, Make a little extra money for your growing needs.

gotspice.jpg

PhatManDerek said:
Why would I want to list my self on the stock exchange :P

So you can create a product no one wants, sell it at a price no one is willing to pay, get a billion dollars in a bailout plan and then get fired.

It's the new, improved, All-American way!

Mike

Back