grills Post pics of your smoker or grill

mlh5953 said:
Are you referring to the competition natural?
I personally find that the blue bag burns much slower than Royal Oak lump.
yep the comp natural ive used it a few times burns super quick in my trials. love it just burns fast. the standard charcoal works fine. And yes i find lump burns at a much quicker rate no matter the brand. But can't beat the flavor.

Daddy got a new toy. My old Char-Griller served me well for 4 years, but she was corroding through, and it was time for an upgrade. I decided not to spend my vacation money on a smoker, so I ended up deciding on the Old Country Pecos smoker. $399 at Academy. Very similar to the Yoder Wichita, but a little more on the cheap side when it comes to the shelves and charcoal grate. Already got some mods in mind. I think I'll keep this one for low and slow only, and just get a Weber Kettle for grilling.

25671687781_f2b318f5fd_b.jpg

Looks like a nice little pit....whats going to be the first cook on your new toy.

Scoville DeVille said:
So, where's the pics of the Steaks? lolol

Is that a new Colorado? I have been looking at those recently. I really like them. Also, guy I know went to LA last Friday for a fishing vacation (planned a while back).  Shreveport area actually.  I saw on the weather channel some serious rainfal totals in the state. Are you guys washed out right now?

GhostPepperz said:

Is that a new Colorado? I have been looking at those recently. I really like them. Also, guy I know went to LA last Friday for a fishing vacation (planned a while back).  Shreveport area actually.  I saw on the weather channel some serious rainfal totals in the state. Are you guys washed out right now?

Yep, sure is a 2015 Colorado! I LOVE this truck... nicest vehicle I've ever owned, and it can tow more than my old !500 Chevy Cheyenne full size.
And yeah, we did get a lot of rain, but no flooding at our house. A lot of areas around us were hit very hard, though. I'm still watching as the Amite river is still rising and is expected to crest tomorrow. Livingston Parish, Ascension Parish, and Tangipahoa parish were among the worst hit southeast Louisiana parishes... nothing like those folks up Shreveport and Bossier way got though... I feel for them.

Whaaa??? No pics of the food? I must have been preoccupied! The ribs came out fantastic. Some of the best I ever did. I also did a 17 lb brisket this weekend that required two days of cooking. Also very good! BUT, on thing I noticed with this smoker is the cheap shelves. They were really just bugging me. The tiny size of the front shelf and the flimsy, thin sheet metal log rack just weren't cutting it. I mean, wouldn't you think a log rack should drain water, instead of holding it?

So, I did what any red-blooded American male would do. I summoned up that "can-do" spirit, bought a welding machine and some steel, and went to work making things right. I should forward this to Old Country to show them how to improve their smokers for minimal extra cost.

First thing, that dinky, folding front shelf had to go. I wanted something much more substantial. A man can't do any work on the tiny thing they provided. Here, I have the new shelf I built sitting on top of the original just for placement/size comparison.

25489754413_49e2bdc6e9_o.jpg

Then, I cut the old one off with an angle grinder, fit, tacked, and welded out the new shelf.

25489754563_152335a01e_o.jpg

See that dinky sheet metal log rack on the bottom? Yeah, that ain't gonna work. That's coming off next. I ran out of time, decent weather, and gumption yesterday, but I got the new shelf all cut out and welded up. The frame is always the hardest part when you have limited space, tools, and manpower.

26025704501_6aeccb2f32_o.jpg

All welded up, waiting to be fit into place, welded out, and painted

25489706703_053defa9a0_o.jpg

Sorry for the different sized pictures. All were taken with the same phone camera, same settings, they just chose to upload to Flickr differently. Meh.

Anyhoo.... next weekend, I'll get that bottom shelf changed out.

Actually I think the picture size issue is a bug here. I can use the exact same URL and post it and it will be small then edit repaste URL and it is full size, Nice setup btw!

Thanks! I'll put up more pics of the finished bottom shelf this weekend. And food. Must remember pics of food. I think it'll be pork butt or turkey breast.

And I forgot the food again. Pulled pork. It was on the smoker while I worked all day on building a heavy duty 14" x 14" x 8" charcoal box for my brother. After I finished the box, I went to work cutting the old sheet metal shelf off.... because of positioning and the HOT firebox, it was much more difficult than it should have been. I was covered head to toe in metal shavings from the grinder throwing it all over me. Good thing I had my safety glasses on!

26146470362_8d1a3f419b_h.jpg

After that, I was able to get under there and grind off the old welds and clean/prep the legs to weld the new one on.

Which really took no time at all. It took longer to fit it than anything. I couldn't get it perfectly level. It's about 1/4" low in the back, but it'll hold a log or two.

26213008236_47814f3608_h.jpg

Back