grills Post pics of your smoker or grill

Moose said:
Here's a pic of mine from last summer:

IMG_2609_zpsu6te7c15.jpg
omg keep your food smoke away from condensing units =(. you are hurting them.

Here's a pic of my Whiskey Barrel Smoker. Built it last Spring; first smoker I've ever owned. Couldn't be happier!
Found an old Jim Beam barrel in Craigslist for about $100

Put another $400 worth of hardware, stain, supplies, etc. into it. Now she looks like this:

The smell that this thing puts out is ridiculously good!

Some smoked goodies:

Ribs from Super Bowl

10lb pork butt for carñitas

15lb Turkey on Christmas

"Swineapple" Kebabs

And, pods of course

Yes it looks like you got the UDS dialed in perfectly.........I built my barrel smoker a few years back.......one of the biggest problems I had was keeping it re-hydrated.....I found after a few long cooks all the staves would lose moisture and shrink up....allowing air through it and causing it to run hot.......it got to the point I would fill it with water and let it sit until it would swell back up and be air tight.....but they sure do look pretty.

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Sizzle Lips said:
Yes it looks like you got the UDS dialed in perfectly.........I built my barrel smoker a few years back.......one of the biggest problems I had was keeping it re-hydrated.....I found after a few long cooks all the staves would lose moisture and shrink up....allowing air through it and causing it to run hot.......it got to the point I would fill it with water and let it sit until it would swell back up and be air tight.....but they sure do look pretty.

attachicon.gif
IMG_0967.jpg

attachicon.gif
IMG_0968.jpg

Treat the wood with a food grade oil maybe???

SmokenFire said:
Damn Mike that is one of the sweetest looking UDS that I've ever seen!  Did you have to put gaskets on the inner ring of the lid to keep er tight?

Thanks Dru! I had a lot of fun on this project, and I'm pretty proud of it. If you look at the underside of the lid, you can see the gasket. I used 1/4" wood stove rope gasket. Caulked it into place with high temp, food grade caulk. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head (EMI Supply, maybe?), but I have another tube out in the garage if anybody wants the name. Too lazy to get off the couch right now, haha. It was like $12/tube

Sizzle Lips said:
...one of the biggest problems I had was keeping it re-hydrated.....I found after a few long cooks all the staves would lose moisture and shrink up....I would fill it with water and let it sit until it would swell back up and be air tight
Yeah, I read online that I'd have to do that in between cooks. I got really nervous after I cut the top off and realized it wasn't holding water after letting the garden hose run in it for like 5 hours. I couldn't even get it halfway filled. I turned the hose off and it drained in less than 30 seconds. That's when I bought the caulk and crossed my fingers. I caulked every single stave joint inside; around the "walls," plus the bottom and the lid. It took about 6 tubes total. Worked great so far.

I am getting a few tiny leaks here and there (after about a dozen cooks), but I'm afraid to soak it. If it does leak, I'm afraid the char on the inside (mixed with water) will ruin the stain on the outside. I'll probably just order a few more tubes of caulk to touch up a couple spots. Honestly, I'm surprised the caulk bonded to the wood as well as it did, but it worked great

hogleg said:

fyi used clean wine barrels go for $40-$60 bucks out here. So when you see people asking $200+, tell them they are friggen crazy.

:cheers:  
I called every vineyard in CT before I tried Craigslist. There was over a year long waiting list in some places for an empty barrel. I started looking them up online (shipping from CA to CT), and it was looking like close to $400. Yeah, no thanks :)

$400 for shipping?!? :shocked:  Yea thats a no go  :lol:

Out here in Sonoma they are stacked up twenty feet high and cheap as hael compared to anywheres else in the nation. Its a shame, cause shipping costing more than the barrel kinda ruins it.

Exactly. Used! A brand new one from CA shipped to CT was around $600!

The guy I found on Craigslist had a two car garage JAM PACKED, two barrels high full of all different barrels. Wine, whiskey, different sizes, etc. He actually wanted $150 for it because it was a Jim Beam barrel, but he gave it to me for $100 because I had to drive an hour (one way) to get it. I'm telling you: you guys have gotta SMELL this thing!!!

I paid $50 bucks at a yard sale for my barrel.....keep looking....there is no way I would pay more than a $100 bucks for a barrel.

Sizzle Lips said:
I paid $50 bucks at a yard sale for my barrel.....keep looking....

I totally agree. The problem with that is that you'd have to wait until you find a garage sale that happens to have a barrel. Not too common around here :) Another reason I think the prices are getting so high, is that barrels (in general) are gaining a lot of popularity. There's a ton of different furniture and stuff you could make with them. There's some pretty cool pics of stuff online

t0mato said:
That is seriously some next level badassery! Great job.
Is it hard to keep clean?
Thanks! Not sure if it's hard to clean or not honestly, haha. Haven't tried yet (besides the cooking grates and exhaust pipes). I'm not even sure how you would. The inside is toasted/charred solid oak. Scrubbed lightly with a wire brush maybe?

If anybody's interested, I can start a new thread showing how I built it with all the pics (I don't wanna hijack this one). I'd probably have to double/cross post a pic or two, if that's ok. I know that's frowned upon here. Let me know, I'd be happy to do it

MikeUSMC said:

I totally agree. The problem with that is that you'd have to wait until you find a garage sale that happens to have a barrel. Not too common around here :) Another reason I think the prices are getting so high, is that barrels (in general) are gaining a lot of popularity. There's a ton of different furniture and stuff you could make with them. There's some pretty cool pics of stuff online

Thanks! Not sure if it's hard to clean or not honestly, haha. Haven't tried yet (besides the cooking grates and exhaust pipes). I'm not even sure how you would. The inside is toasted/charred solid oak. Scrubbed lightly with a wire brush maybe?

If anybody's interested, I can start a new thread showing how I built it with all the pics (I don't wanna hijack this one). I'd probably have to double/cross post a pic or two, if that's ok. I know that's frowned upon here. Let me know, I'd be happy to do it

I would love to see the build.   

There is no problems cleaning them....you have a fire box with an ash catcher below...........after it has cooled you empty the ash catcher...basically the same maintenance as a weber smokey mountain

Back