• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe Potato in hot sauce

My 2 cents..
I personally wouldn't put potato in any sauce that is not consumed right after opening. Potato gets moldy real fast and products that I have used, Pesto etc. have gotten moldy real fast that have Potato included..

Reactions: Siv
Once the sauce is acidified (proper pH) it's preserved. What you are basically saying is use ketchup fast because it has tomatoes.

My 2 cents..
I personally wouldn't put potato in any sauce that is not consumed right after opening. Potato gets moldy real fast and products that I have used, Pesto etc. have gotten moldy real fast that have Potato included..
Interesting thoughts DF. I blend the snot out of this, cook and pass through a fine mesh strainer. I’ve kept the mash that didn’t pass through the strainer in a Tupperware on the counter. Let’s see how it fares over the next few weeks - that’s if I don’t eat it all before then!

'FINISHED EQUILIBRIUM ' is what the PAs reference.

From what i know, it takes 24 hours for a sauce to get settled, aka finished equilibrium,.

Think of making pickles. Cukes (high ph naturally) are put in vinegar solutions, and it takes 2 weeks for the cukes to be infused with vinegar which makes them pickled.

If the cukes would be tested for pH 1 week in, the cukes would fail the pH test.

SL, great info. I didn’t check pH after bottling but I will do tomorrow. I’m assuming it’ll be enough time for it to settle.

So what? Tomatoes grow mold too. Almost all the ingredients. A properly made hot sauce is fine. At this point this sounds like fear mongering.

The ketchup is a big hit - my wife and daughter love it and have stopped using regular ketchup. Although they don't think it tastes like ketchup, so they have named it "Not Ketchup".

Anyway, the logical progression for me is to ferment the potato with the peppers so let's see what happens to this lot:

51672395771_b0730df50f_c.jpg

And it's not a ferment if it hasn't been going for 6 months, preferably at least a year! I don't do these namby pamby 2 week ferments.

51749651829_aa60441924_b.jpg

Next to it is a tomato datil ferment. I'm also gonna do a tomatillo ferment as well since my buddy loves the last tomatillo sauce I made.

I'm basically putting potato in all my sauces now. You get creaminess without the slime that you get from using lots of xanthan.

51701922875_0f128396fa_b.jpg

Even the "Not Ketchup" is in high demand - essentially all my friends are asking for bottles. I need to make more as it's almost all gone.

51749266888_6e65109bdf_b.jpg

Back