• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Potting mix

Does this stuff sound alright? :
http://www.productivegardens.com.au/products/herb-vegetable-potting-mix

I've seen it at a local nursery and considering getting it.

"Excellent water retention properties plus essential drainage qualities."
How does something both retain and drain at the same time? Do you reckon this would mean that it would balance itself out and hopefully stay moist - not wet?

I also had a look at this 'Flourish' stuff it contains and the NPK is 16-4-25.7 (+ Trace Elements)... reckon that's an OK ratio? And by the way, I'll be transplanting baby plants, so I don't want to encourage them to bloom to early.

I believe that having high phosphorus does not induce flowering, but rather there is a greater demand for it once the plant does begin to flower, which depends more on temperature and light cycles.

Unfortunately I have not heard anything (good, bad or otherwise) about this particular potting mix.

I have used another potting mix from the same brand before for other plants and have had excellent results (not that that means anything - but at least I know the quality of the products to be good).

Just thinking though, would a pH of 5.3 be too low? What's the ideal pH again?

Personally, I like a potting mix that doesn't have any ferts added to it to germinate seeds in. Those little boogers have everything they need to come up on their own - why mess with Mother Nature (and spend money doing it)?

And, plants don't really need a lot of nitrogen, at least at the seedling stage. The idea is grow large roots, not long stems and big leaves. I've had great luck with Tomato-tone mixed in water. Lots of the Nitrogen doesn't dissolve, but the P & K seem to really promote root growth.

I'm also finding that keeping temps lower once the plants are transplanted to containers - mid 60s are great, helps to keep seedlings short and stocky.

YMMV,

Mike

Iv'e been using MG potting mix which has been working very good.
Just got 2 bails of Pro-Mix BX to give a try since everyone has only great things to say about it.

FadeToBlack said:
Iv'e been using MG potting mix which has been working very good.
Just got 2 bails of Pro-Mix BX to give a try since everyone has only great things to say about it.

The MG works, the Pro-Mix works way better. Bigger plants, more pods.

Any loose well drained soil should work good but you don't want much nutrients until plants are big and healthy. Personally I'd avoid Miracle grow or 'Flourish' soil or anything high in nutrients, especially for germination

ABurningMouth said:
• pH balanced between 5.3 to 6.5 units.
Does that mean... What?

?

Don't know what?

I might try it for a plant or two and see what happens. It's my first time growing so I'm only at the 'trial and error' stage of my adventure anyways......

The pH is a measure of the alkalinity or acidity or the soil or water. Different plants need a pH in a certain level to grow best, or grow at all. If the pH is too high or too low, plants will not do well. There are tons of data regarding the ideal pH level for different plants and how to adjust your soil/water to the level needed.

Most states have a service that will give you a basic soil analysis for little or no charge, and let you know what you need to add to make it more fertile. IMO, it is well worth the cost unless you are just playing around with a couple of plants and do not really care how well they produce.

Mike

pH is a measure of potential hydrogen which is an indication of acidity. Ideal pH for water(hydroponics) differs from ideal pH in soil. I try to keep my pH just under 6 for chiles in soil (* 7 is neutral)

Ph - too high or low, slows or in the worst case scenario stops the uptake of nutrients. Thus your plants won't do well.

I wasn't aware there is a different ideal ph between growing in hydro or soil but you learn something new every day.

I use rain water in hydro (ph 5.5) and after adding full strength nutes it sits at 5.8. I then push it up to 6 using ph up but I have left it at 5.8 at times with no bad effects.

Im sure watering with rain water all of the time should keep the ph about right.

Chris

Depends where you live and how much rain. If you're near a big city and the rain is minimal then you'll likely have acid rain, but with a big rain shower it likely won't be as severe

Cheers for that.

In my Case its England - Midlands.
Even a member from Ireland (rural) has a similar ph.

Can you test ph of soil using a hydro liquid test kit consisting of universal indicator and a vial? Im thinking you would add your soil to ph 7 water, strain and then test?

Chris

Toleman said:
Cheers for that.

In my Case its England - Midlands.
Even a member from Ireland (rural) has a similar ph.

Can you test ph of soil using a hydro liquid test kit consisting of universal indicator and a vial? Im thinking you would add your soil to ph 7 water, strain and then test?

Chris
Chris,

You could, but then you would be testing the pH of mud that has been adjusted, perhaps slightly, maybe significantly.

You can buy a decent pH soil tester for not much. It also tests moisture level.

Mike

Back