• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Problem with Bottles?

I made what I intended to be a shelf stable sauce, as I've done a few times before. The Woozy bottle caps I've used before had the little white waxy paper thing inside the cap. This batch of bottles I just used did not. Is that a problem? I thought the paper thing sealed it until use but could be wrong.

Thanks.

Incidentally, 
15 cups of Bad Brains peppers
1 can pineapple chunks & juice (should've just used juice- it's thick)
2 oranges
1/2 cup golden raisins
4 cloves garlic
1 cup vinegar
salt

1449370562818_zpsrnp1jjkd.jpg

hot stuff said:
I think #SalsaLady said that those are for when you don't have a orifice reducer to help seal it. So if you have an orifice reducer on your bottle you can take them out or don't need it.
Super. Thanks.
juanitos said:
nice looking sauce friend.
from what i know you turn the bottles upside down after you bottle them to sanitize the cap, not sure if the little metalicly paper thing matters.
Thanks!

nice color!  Love a fruity sauce with yellow peppers.  Soooo Pretty~

Hot Stuff and juanitos got it. 

You should be fine with unlined caps as long as they were snugged down good.  You don't have to reef down with a torque wrench or anything, just make sure they are hand tight. 

The paper/foam liner is good for bottles without the orofice reducer but it is not critical.  Likewise, it is OK to use lined caps with the reducer. Just have to make sure the caps are snugged down

Better= unlined caps with a reducer and lined caps without a reducer.... but either will work for either.

The reason I suggest using unlined caps with a reducer is that the reducer and the liner add fractions of an inch and the cap won't tighten down that fraction of an inch.  If you are meticulous, and make sure the cap is snugged down it's not a problem.  I have had some bottles with a reducer and a lined cap that did not seal properly because I wasn't paying attention and didn't get them snugged down.  By using an unlined cap with a reducer, you get that fraction of an inch more on the threads.

On the flip side, when using a liner with a straight bottle (no reducer) the liner pinches down inside and outside the glass bottle top and makes a better seal than just the flat plastic cap.  Think of it like the rubber gasket/seal on canning jars.  When the canning jars are opened, you can see the indentaion of the glass jar in the rubber ring. 

I've seen/bought many sauces that had reducers and the sauce wouldn't come out of the bottle. Rip that dropper off and pitch it! But for those sauces that need it, it's the ticket.

Back