Product Testers FOUND for new product

Hey all...

Just sharing a simple fact, that some names especially religious centered that are offensive will leave REVENUE dollars on the table. South, north, east or west.

Really was not looking for PC shots at me for expressing what anyone who has studied marketting at the college level or in a masters program already knows.

Share a little truth about revenue and get jumped on.
If you read my posts, you will see they were geared about maximizing maximum revenue. Nothing more.

Thanks

I wasn't taking shots at you, I am just amazed that the name of a hot sauce or any other product can offend someone.

Hey all...

Just sharing a simple fact, that some names especially religious centered that are offensive will leave REVENUE dollars on the table.

Really was not looking for PC shots at me for expressing what anyone who has studied marketting at the college level or in a masters program already knows.

Thanks

Marketing is a tricky topic. Its the draw vs loss. I don't think that a simple marketing class can apply as a global rule for all products in all places. For instance: A baby rattle for sale with the name Little Evil Rattle is an obvious loss as it would have no draw and offend quite a few. I just see that this product, being a very hot product, could benefit with a very strong attention grabbing name and yes lose a small percentage. But, isn't that marketing? Finding your niche and attacking it. Again, pleasing everyone is not an option.

All is good with everyone.

My purpose was not to incense anyone, that is not my personal style.
Especially on a forum where I respect many folks for their knowledge and diligence.

Wishing you all a GREAT weekend!

Marketing is a tricky topic. Its the draw vs loss.

I just see that this product, being a very hot product, could benefit with a very strong attention grabbing name and yes lose a small percentage. But, isn't that marketing? Finding your niche and attacking it. Again, pleasing everyone is not an option.

Very true, and valid points!

No shots. It's just a discussion. SL opened it up so I think it's all good. Market research.

SL look at all this attention to your product! Hurry up and market it. ;)

This topic is relative to any other product on the market for sale. It is going to appeal to some and be off putting to others. Sure the name draws a customer inbut is a factor of many. How about visuals, or descriptions/slogans, cost, ingredients, sellers reputation. These are all viable variables that affect sales. There are some that find evil/satanic names or label designs offensive. Lets use Smitter Q's 10% reference. For the 10% that dislike it there's another 10 % that are looking for this style specifically. In this reference it's using evil in a good way. Just a play on words. What about a sauce named wrath of god. You will find Athiests buying this sauce because they know what the tittle is really refering to...which is that this product is "hot as hell" ;-) Take it all for what it is or you want it to be. In any case the name is going to boost sales in one stereo type and lower it in another. I say I like it and sell the **** out of it SL. But that's just one opinion from a crazy degenerate. Hehehe

I wasn't taking shots at you, I am just amazed that the name of a hot sauce or any other product can offend someone.

"Offend" not in the context that someone give you the bird in public.
More along the lines of, "that is not cool" and folks will choose to spend their dollars elsewhere.

No shots. It's just a discussion. SL opened it up so I think it's all good. Market research.

SL look at all this attention to your product! Hurry up and market it. ;)

Discussions I am all for.
There was a comment that has since been appreciatively removed that was more.
AND... your insight is wise!!

Some products due to conflict will outsell everything! Go sell it SL!!

Oh I missed it! Glad it was not me. :)

I was talking with my girlfriend about it (who finds most things that are not "pc" offensive) she says to me "It's hotsauce not ka baby...." made me chuckle. :-D

I think this discussion just might end up adding to the intrigue. Controversy sells. Well played SL even if it was unintentional. I cannot wait to try it and give my feedback.

I think this discussion just might end up adding to the intrigue. Controversy sells. Well played SL even if it was unintentional. I cannot wait to try it and give my feedback.
So you are saying SL in an... evil genius! :lol:

Holy Crap! (is that offensive?) One Hockey game and another Turkey coma, and this thread has exploded.

In her innitial post about her Test Product, she said:
"Not too happy with the name "Pure Evil" Think it might turn some customers off. If you have any other inspirations for a name please post..."
Why not just do that?
She knew it might turn people off, therefore she asked for suggestions, so your whole point about pointing out the fact that people might be turned off is pointless.
Do you have any suggestions?
I get offended at times, and I suspect I offend at times, (hardly ever). Welcome to planet earth/life. There's no such thing as 100%, ever.

Just my 2ยข
:end rant:

Just a little Juju history lesson, as per Webster's "word history" :

"The word evil is ultimately related tothe words up and over and to the prefix hypo, "under, beneath".
The basic sense of evil which is now lost, was therefore probably "exceeding proper bounds" or "overreaching", and the word did not signify merely the absence of good.

So, I think it's a pretty appropriate name.

Smiter is right to consider the audience. As I posted earlier in the thread, if the distro is to areas that are known to be sensitive to said references, then it should be considered to be marketed under a different label. He's right that it's all about marketing.

Some folks might not be offended at all, but might balk at buying the product for say, a stocking stuffer, for family or friends if the *perception* is that it won't go over well.

If the market is highly urban areas in the PNW, NE, most of CA, and some other areas, then I don't think it matters. For sales in the midwest, South, Bible belt, rural areas, etc., then it could be an issue. I don't think you have to be 'over the top' to see this as offensive at all. There are millions of Americans who would find it so. It's a matter of belief. And tolerance in beliefs is a fundamental building block of non-religious democracy. But THAT'S another conversation. Tolerance of attitudes and beliefs in marketing is fundamentally capitalist, if you're eventually looking for the largest possible market share.

I'm with him. This is a marketing question and one of knowing the audience. It's not really a question of being 'PC'. Being PC is watching what you say for the sake of others. Marketing is simply knowing your sales audience. And, quite frankly, the more inoffensive and more tolerant you are of a wider audience, the more likely you are to have more widespread sales.

But that's why I asked SL the questions to begin with. If she knows her niche isn't going to be offended, then there's no point in altering her marketing plan or product name. If her intent is ever to widen that audience with this product (maybe as a catch all replacement in supermarket chains for red chili flakes or cayenne, to be used much like other extracts might be), then it might be worth a revisit in naming conventions.

Either way, I didn't see the initial statements from SQ as particularly political, although they may have been inferred in that way. So his initial communication may have been less than crystal clear.

I'm with him. This is a marketing question and one of knowing the audience.
EXACTLY! And if you know the audience, you know it's extreme chiliheads, and extreme chiliheads will buy anything evil, they like to torture themsleves. Think of music. People who like death metal buy death metal. Why should she "jazz" up her name? Still scratching my head how the word evil is offensive. :shrugs:

Back