• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pubescens Research Thread

So I started thinking earlier today that we should start a pubescens research thread. Here it is. What was on my mind was that a lot of us seem to have issues with getting a good, reliable crop of them, be they rocotos or whatever. Lots of flowers, followed by lots of flower drop. So maybe if enough of us pooled our observations, we could come up with something to improve the odds.

First, I'm just asking that you post your interest - are you growing pubes of one sort or another and would you contribute to this thread? My idea is to keep this top post for findings and questions, links..... edit it as things evolve. This first year everyone post their observations - I'll give some questions I want you to think about answering, and you think of some stuff we should track, too. Then after we've collected a bit of data, I'll start posting findings. Once I have a bit of data and have come up with a database design that seems to be workable, will create a database participants can log into.

What I'm thinking now is that if people post findings once a month, that would be a good start. Post ONCE, then come back and edit your post, adding the date and new observations each time, rather than adding multiple posts. That way we can keep easier track of what's going on with your particular plants in one spot.

Things I'm thinking of asking up front include:
- What is your latitude, and northern or southern hemisphere? (Southern hemisphere has more water than northern, so that may be a factor.)
- Average temps over the last month, by week.
- In ground or in pots?
- What ferts?
- What soil and what soil conditions?
- When did you either pot up to final pot size or put in the ground?
- What pH?
- When did you start seeds, if you did?
- First-year or 2nd year (etc.) plant(s)?
- Hours of direct sunlight/day?
- Average humidity?

I am thinking that if you have plants in pots, give each a "name" (some sort of identifier), then post specifically about each plant. If your plants are in the ground or you have too many for individual plant tracking, "name" groups. For example, maybe you have one group in the ground that gets more shade than another, while the one that gets more sun is another group. Possibly you have an in-ground group and an in-pots group.

I currently have 3 rocotos, all in pots. Two are overwinters, so 2nd year plants, and one is new this year. Funny thing is that the new plant has a lot more pods setting now than either of the overwinters. They all have flowered profusely all summer, but I've only seen the first pods set in the last week or so. A factor could be the temperature - we had about a 2-week period where the night-time temps got down into the 50F's, and daytime highs only in the 70F's. (I'll post a link to a conversion website, so you can post in whatever designation you want.) I am thinking about putting one in a sunny window but keeping it inside next grow season, to see if being in a cooler environment all summer makes a difference.

I'll come up with a more comprehensive list, but that's to get you thinking. Hope you can contribute!

My pube. A little "Rocoto Aji Largo" sprout by the name of, uh, "Gassy Jr." :D

IMG_7906.JPG

Something I have never seen before from a pube:

IMG_7916.JPG

Buds! :shocked:

This guy has been growing through winter so he hasn't had a chance to die yet from our brutal summers here like the rest of the pubes I've grown in the past. That is my first observation, pubes don't like Queensland summers!

I will have to get back with all the other details later.

Here's a start:

In ground or in pots?
Pot.

What ferts?
Organic sources. Various poo (sheep, cow, chook), blood & bone, fish, seaweed, dry minerals (soft rock phosphorus, neem cake, lime, etc, etc).

Worm juice waterings.

What soil and what soil conditions?
Peat moss, composts (organic, poo, worm, etc), composted bark (and sand), and perlite. Dolomite lime. Micronised diatomaceous earth (silica).

What pH?
Last soil check: a bit low, 5.8-6.0. Adjusted waterings: 6.0-7.0.

I'll be growing Orange Manzano chiles for the first time next season. From what I've read, they're fairly cold tolerant and they're grown at high altitude in the Andes. I'm at 42 degrees north lat. and 72 degrees east long. at an altitude of 256 feet above sea level. Based on recommendations from other growers, I'll be starting them indoors under grow lights in December. To try to replicate the conditions in the mountains as much as possible, when planting outside, I'll do it in reflective plastic mulch. That way the leaf canopy will get more sunlight, but the soil will be cooler. I'd thought about using shade cloth, but the sun in the high altitudes is more intense, not less. That's what I remember from when I lived in Colorado above 5,000 feet for a couple of years. See you 'round...

i'll be following along. i had 1 pube (i believe its a manzano) germinate from a mystery pack from pepermaina and has been behind the curve all season since it sprouted so late. it has grown in a 4" pot all season with 4hrs sunlight. fed with fishhead and grass clipping tea. it now has 2 flowers the first has dropped. i might even see a pod :dance: . i have never attempted to grow this variety before but the challange is what intices me and i here they taste great. i am in east Tennessee at an elev of 1010'. hopefully next season i have several growing and be able to contribute to the research.

Thanks to you who have posted so far - I'm excited by the potential here!

Congrats gassy! Though as many flowers as I've had drop, my first thought is that I really hope those "stick" for you! Heh, from my two manzanos last year (one rojo and one canario), I only got maybe 3 or 4 pods - TOTAL! I've already got more pods than that on the new plant, and can't wait until they ripen. The difference between the new plant and the overwinters make me wonder if there is something about those plants that is making them less productive - possibly even something I don't have control over. I've considered the possibility that maybe these plants come either predominantly male or female, like some other plants - possibly when one plant is, say, predominantly male, it won't produce as much. That's purely rumination - I don't have anything to back it up, but it's a thought - doesn't hurt to question the norm.

I've got 12 plants this year and all are still tiny. Even though they are in full shade it has just been too hot. I will edit this later when I can get pictures up, when not mobile.

I've been growing Rocotos for two years and to this date I have only harvested 5 ripe peppers between 4 plants. Last year they had no chance of setting pods through most of the summer, but once temperatures stayed below 90 during the day/70 at night (they were planted in shade) I got a flurry of pods to set in mid-September of last year. In total I would say I had about 40 pods on the plants by the time frost rolled around, though none of them ripened.

I overwintered most of the plants, but I only got two pods to set this spring because our spring was virtually nonexistent, and then we jumped right into a drought so the plants have been suffering on the whole. The one Rocoto that is planted against a North-facing wall (2-3 hours of morning sun) is flowering and producing now, as we've had a bout of cool temperatures very unusual for August (under 90 most days, 80-85 typically), so there are quite a few pods on the plant currently. The other plants get more sun, and they have yet to set any pods. I have a feeling they'll be a repeat of last year, where fall will roll around and I'll have a bunch of unripened pods on the plants.

Here's the one producing plant, post is five feet for scale:
IMGP5134.jpg

IMGP5094.jpg

One of the ripe pods from this year:
IMGP4850.jpg

Congrats gassy! Though as many flowers as I've had drop, my first thought is that I really hope those "stick" for you!

I hope too but I'm not holding my breath. It's still very young so it's probably better if it doesn't fruit now anyhow. Just as long as I can somehow get it through summer, I'm happy to wait.

I've got 12 plants this year and all are still tiny. Even though they are in full shade it has just been too hot. I will edit this later when I can get pictures up, when not mobile.

Yeah, it seems pubes plain just don't like heat. My last one still died on me during summer despite giving it a nice shady spot.

Great idea! I'm in...I have had great luck with mine this year. I have some inground and several in containers. All are manzanos some yellow some orange.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- What is your latitude, and northern or southern hemisphere? Approximately 33deg N just north of San Diego California[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- Average temps over the last month, by week. Daytime mid to upper 90's night time low 60's[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- In ground or in pots? Both[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- What ferts? Not much...but some AACT and what was inherent to the soil.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- What soil and what soil conditions? Some MG Moisture Control some Happy Frog (both are doing well) Inground plants are in the area I had my compost pile the past couple years.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- When did you either pot up to final pot size or put in the ground? Once plants were about 2' they all went into 5 gallon nursery containers then a couple into the ground and 1 up to a 15 gallon container.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- What pH? PH is just above or below 7 on all.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- When did you start seeds, if you did? Seeds started in Jan-Feb[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- First-year or 2nd year (etc.) plant(s)? 1st year[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- Hours of direct sunlight/day? Different conditions but the plants doing best have full morning and late evening and filtered through the heat of the day.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]- Average humidity? Average is about 60-65 percent during summer months but can very depending on wind patterns and be as low as single digits or as high as 100 percent with marine layers.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I've had great luck so far and couldn't be more pleased with the plants/pods. We've had several weeks of solid 100+ degree temps and they continue to set fruit. I have 6 plants total 3 of which were started from seeds harvested from store bought pods the other three were plants purchased from my local nursery.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Here are a couple pics of mine...[/background]
gallery_5729_48_4283674.jpg

This dude is a little sick, but is still doing me proud.

gallery_5729_48_4006661.jpg

This is one of the nursery bought plants...

gallery_5729_48_3416462.jpg

and here is another.

One observation is Tomato Hornworms seem to love these plants so if you're in an area where they are a problem keep an eye out for them.
gallery_5729_17_256426.jpg

Great thread and happy to contribute. I seem to be lucky with growing rocotos. Perhaps they are suited to the climate here in Canberra. I have 9 plants growing, the oldest is 2 years. My plants continued to flower and produce fruit through the winter. The 2 year old plant alone produces more fresh fruit than we can eat!

The plants slow down in winter but still produce. I experienced a lot of flower drop last spring. The plants were outdoors with plenty of insects around. I tried hand pollinating but it didn’t help. Then for reasons that I don’t understand (my wife thinks that it just got warmer) the fruit started to set like crazy.

Latitude is 35.2828° S but I think that the altitude (about 600 m above sea level) helps. Generally low humidity.

Average temps: here is a link http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_070282.shtml

Plants are in 40 cm diameter x 30 cm tall pots, “premium” potting mix. I alternate feeding with seasol, powerfeed, miracle grow, worm juice. Occasionally water with (and spray the leaves with) a solution of Epsom salts.

Plants are in a pergola on the north facing side of the house, under a clear plastic roof. This winter I used clear PVC café blinds to protect from frost and keep the daytime temps 5-10 °C higher than outside. Previous winter the plants were frost nipped on a –7 °C night. They are not in direct sunlight. I experimented a bit last summer and left two plants out for a week in full sun and one plant was fine (no difference from being under cover) but the other wilted in full sun (recovered in the shade). The plants get to about 8 feet tall but are stopped from growing higher by the roof:

IMG_1666.jpg

I just sowed seeds for 13 more varieties.

Interesting thread!

I haven't grown Pubescens in a couple of years, but in 2009 I did have a good harvest from an overwintered Yellow Rocoto. After having researched some about their natural growing conditions in the valleys of the Andean Highland like in Peru, I realized that duplicating them here in Panama City, Florida would be a challenge indeed. I haven't been to the Andes (bucket list item) but imagine fairly hot days and cool nights.

I have very hot days and hot nights during the majority of the growing season.

The best I could do was to allow my plant to have filtered sunlight only. I moved this plant several times. It was a second year plant and by September, I probably harvested 20 pods or so. It was potted in potting soil and had a slightly acidic pH I'm sure.

From my experience, this plant can not thrive in direct sunlight in my zone. It's just too hot and I suspect the pollen is sterile.

I would love to find a particular variety that would do well here.

My plant:

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

Great Thread !

I grow Capsicum pubescens now scince 2005 and tried many Varieties/Hybrids and Variations.
Since 2006 I am reducing the number of plants for 2 Reasons.
1. I am getting better yields
2. I am giving the plants more space

- What is your latitude, and northern or southern hemisphere? (Southern hemisphere has more water than northern, so that may be a factor.)

I am from Germany so northern hemisphere . Elevation 323 m (1060 ft) at 48°42′9″N 9°39′10″E

- In ground or in pots?
164 in Pots ( 150 in 40L Pots and 1 in 330L Pot and 1 in 30L Pot and 11 in 12L Pots) and 88 in the ground ( 32 in 1st Raised bed and 56 in 2nd raised bed)

- What ferts?
MycoAktiv
Osmocote Controlled Release Fertilizer with 3g/L Soil and 1 Tablepoon for the plants in the ground
Peters Professional Blossom Booster
Manalin B
Peters Excel

Mainly I use a mix out of old Soil with Compost and bark humus
This Year I testet a proffesional Soil that had a high % of compost and Lignudrain

Started at 1st May and finished 21st June

- What pH?
7 pH at own mixed soil and 5,8 ph at bought soil

January 22nd till January 30th

Got 153 plants over the winter some are up to 4 years old

From 5 till 9 hours /day

- Average humidity?
~60%

Looking forward to more

Greetings

Hombre

I have one pubescen growing this year. I'll call it a Rocoto for now, the seed came in the mystery seeds pack from peppermania. Sprouted in a cabinet under CFLs with heating pad in a rapid-rooter plug. I was getting flower/fruit drop all summer up until very recently. In the past week the pods started to really set and not there are about half a dozen fruits growing. I am assuming with the night time temps dropping into the 50s-60s and daytime temperature highs now below 90 this is the cause.

Central Connecticut

- In ground or in pots?
10 Gallon smart pot

- What ferts?
Premixed in the soil mix before potting. No additional fertilizing.

Last years Fox Farm Ocean Forest with:
Coco coir
pearlite
bone meal
blood meal
worm castings
dolomite lime
epsom salt
liquid seaweed
Bio-tone starter plus (mycorrhizae)

Early June

- What pH?
Haven't checked. Should be about 7.

Mid February

First Year plant

11am 5ish, then filtered while sun sets.

- Average humidity?
Northeast USA humidity.

650406BF-56FA-4796-B63E-75E85617EF7F-48137-00002E08347635DB.jpg

DD923273-0874-4965-8D07-6E3AFCA8C659-48137-00002E08447ACCA5.jpg

Do these take a while to germinate? Just to time things, I had started a few Red Rocoto seeds on August 14th along with some Yellow Brains and Chocolate Scorps. I got a Y Brain hook four days ago, and two Choc Scorp hooks, today and yesterday. Nothing yet from the Rocotos.

I use to have a average germating time of 12 days by Capsicum pubescens
Now I lowered that this year the first sprouts came 6 days after sowing
Really important ist a high constant temperature
I set my temperatur to ~80°F ( ~27°C)

Greetings from Germany

Alexander

12 days? 6 days? I'm doing something wrong! Pubes have always been pretty slow for me. 3-4 weeks.

I am guilty of allowing my temps to fluctuate though.....

12 days? 6 days? I'm doing something wrong! Pubes have always been pretty slow for me. 3-4 weeks.

I am guilty of allowing my temps to fluctuate though.....

All of mine popped in 3-5 days. Didn't realize how weird this was at the time... but like you said, I kept mine at a constant temperature.

Much as I like pubescens, I don't think I'll be starting any more in the future. The lower Midwest is brutal. With the drought this year my wild annums were the only plants enjoying the heat, even the chinenses were starting to look sad.

Has anybody ruled out or observed day length sensitivity in some/all pubescens? It seems like a possibility to me since they come from close to the equator, where daylength is pretty constant 12/12 - 13/11 (L/D) or so. I guess seeing those Manzanos in California loaded with fruit may show that it isn't a factor unless the pods started forming in the spring? Just a thought.

Back