• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens pubescent

The seeds are not always removed in South America. Some times you will see sauces in Peru, Bolivia and Chile that contain the seeds finely chopped. These sauces tend to be sinfully hot, but very good.

due to sydney's temperate climate we dont get extremes of cold over the winter (4-5 degress minimum temp). i found out that some pubescens are tolerant to colder climates, so i decided to test out orange rocoto during the winter months. ive currently got 3 plants going and they absolutley love the low light in winter and the colder temperatures. they are a bit harder to germinate but once they get going, growth is amazingly fast. none are up to flowering yet but the largest is about 35cm tall now.

I am growing 2 yellow rocotto, 2 red and Bolivian Yellow. Last year, I did not get a single fruit. I am having hard time cultivating any pods from them. Hopefully this will be a more sucessful year.

My Red Rocoto has got an inch shaped chilli on it and seems to be doing really well. It's in the greenhouse and dosen't like full sun. I agree with Bhuttt that once the fruit does start setting it's very fast to grow. I only noticed the inch long pepper on it yesterday.

bhuttt said:
ive currently got 3 plants going and they absolutley love the low light in winter and the colder temperatures. they are a bit harder to germinate but once they get going, growth is amazingly fast.
they grow fast as soon as they pop.
i got to try chopped or powdered pube seeds in the soup or on a sandwich. mmm
The plants have lower fert requirements than most others and would probably benefit from red light for sooner flowering.
I imagine clones would fruit fast.

i'm growing two from the mystery seeds i got with my peppermania order. the only thing that worries me is that i'll like them too much and not know what the heck they are... you might all be seeing a couple 'help identify this pepper' posts from me in the fall...

GrumpyBear said:
you might all be seeing a couple 'help identify this pepper' posts from me in the fall...

Me too, all the plant labels faded in the sun :eh: I'm sure I've labelled them correctly again but I know at least two varieties I've got the wrong way round.

Personally, I don't like rocotos that much. They are fairly common here in Guatemala. The variety that grows here is mediocre in heat and the flavor is not that great. They do make good sauces because they are very fleshy. That however is only my opinion of them...

I've only grown 1 type of Pube, a Rocoto and I didn't care much for it but I'll try again this year with a turbo pube

I pubescens are fantastic!!!
the only defect is drying
last year they did on
grid then oil salt :mouthonfire:
this year I'm cultivating
Red Pepper From Hell
Cap217
Turbo Pube Yellow
Rocoto Largo San Isidro

rainbowberry said:
Me too, all the plant labels faded in the sun :eh: I'm sure I've labelled them correctly again but I know at least two varieties I've got the wrong way round.

this year i've put uv resistant tape over top of all my labels, the tape itself is supposed to not break down in the sun so hopefully whatever's underneath will be safe too. i'm not growing as many as you (your list of habs alone is awe inspiring...) and they're all pretty different so it's not too hard to keep them straight, but i'm still interested in seeing if this works for the sake of future grumpy garden generations...

I made a mistake in labelling a set of my peppers...labelelled them Early Jalapeno and they are Hungarian Hot Wax....wondered why those Japs were yellow and getting so long.... :lol: the white paint pen on the black container is not fading and lasting really good...

Back