• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Queequeg grows stuff, and fixes junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
plants:
if they look crumy, its because they are.
need water and ive been lazy, ill go back out there and water them at some point today.
also got SMASHED last night by some nasty wind...

victim of mine, not the wind. pvc hose sliped off the table and snapped it.
serrano dosent seem to care though. we shall see what happens...

lettuce plants.

cactus plants.

tobacco plants from last winter... i chopped these down to a stump but they grew back. ive not watered these what so ever since last... december ?
no clue why they are alive still.

fertigation machine. in pieces.

my intention here is to shrink the system down substantiall.... such that it fits into the trunk of my car. im going to fold my old design into 2 pieces... and push the frame out into the third dimension.
im also going to add a filtration system. the filtration will require a far more substantial pump, so im going to just mount this onto the frame as well as the filter.

my fancy pump. grundfos up15-58 with a custom plastic head from some other hydronic heating company.

can anyone identify this plug? if so i will kiss your mouth.
spent like an hour on the molex website... im 60% sure its not a molex branded connector.

grantmichaels said:
replace it - how big is it?

replace it for a little scratch? because its too deep? 

its like 26 x 6 wide. its the top of a knee wall. 

this stuff is so soft... im not laboring under any illusions that it will remain scratch free for very long, but id at least like to start with a clean scratch free surface.
i already polished, profiled and  set it in 3/8" modified thinset... lol so id really like to keep it there. 

If it was granite you'd have to top-polish the whole surface ... marble is a lot more forgiving, and you can probably sand it, but as a granite shop, we don't top polish as a rule - we replace ...

Wherever you touch the surface, the glare will be altered there ...

grantmichaels said:
If it was granite you'd have to top-polish the whole surface ... marble is a lot more forgiving, and you can probably sand it, but as a granite shop, we don't top polish as a rule - we replace ...

Wherever you touch the surface, the glare will be altered there ...

ok i see what you are saying.  so by fucking with this scratch im going to maby alter the overall shine of the surface? even after i seal it etc? 

i had not through of this.

i have some scraps i can retrieve from the trash... ill fuck with those before i do anything.

queequeg152 said:

ok i see what you are saying.  so by f**king with this scratch im going to maby alter the overall shine of the surface? even after i seal it etc? 

i had not through of this.
if there incident backlighting from a window, the partial top polishing will be hopeless ...

i defer to Scovie, as he touches the stuff ...

as the vp where i work, i have to deal w/ the QA/Customer-Service of repair-work ... and ceasing all top-polishing was one of my better changes, and something we haven't considered reversing in the past decade ;)

grantmichaels said:
if there incident backlighting from a window, the partial top polishing will be hopeless ...

i defer to Scovie, as he touches the stuff ...

as the vp where i work, i have to deal w/ the QA/Customer-Service of repair-work ... and ceasing all top-polishing was one of my better changes, and something we haven't considered reversing in the past decade ;)

ill consider replacing it. i was very pleased to find two pieces that looked as if they were book  matched .... sad face.  too bad about this scratch.

im going to back burner this whole thing... i erroneously thought this was a minor issue.  ill come back to this when i finish this fucking shower thing. cant order floor tile till next monday though. so it will be the weekend after next.

and i STILL have to build the wood shower bench hahaha. it never ends. 

queequeg152 said:
 and i STILL have to build the wood shower bench hahaha. it never ends. 
again, Scovie ... but you might consider having the bench graded so the water runs towards the drain, and not flat, and especially not tilted back towards the silicone/caulk whatever ...

1dc01e9dd8fc28e3e827340d4fbe607d.jpg

grantmichaels said:
again, Scovie ... but you might consider having the bench graded so the water runs towards the drain, and not flat, and especially not tilted back towards the silicone/caulk whatever ...

im going with a slatted bench and exotic tropical species. dont worry im not doing anything new or seat of the pants with the bench, its a well trod area... lots of wood in showers.

garapa wood, urethane glues, steel tensioned on 4x4x3/8" 304/316 stainless angle. i did the math and this thing should take like 1200 lbs to deflect like 1/4" . should have the same moment area as a 14"x8" wood beam on the long axis. 

i was more saying it's annoying to sit in cold water from previous shower, or have standing water, or have water running towards your walls etc ...

grantmichaels said:
i was more saying it's annoying to sit in cold water from previous shower, or have standing water, or have water running towards your walls etc ...

yea i know what you are saying. but its slatted, so unless water can pool on the 3/4" thick edges, its not going to be a huge issue.

like this but with 5-1/4" boards.

MuseumBench.jpg

there isnt alot i can do to slope the individual edges of the lumber. i may or may not profile them with a roundover bit. we will see. ill lean the whole thing forward, but not super agressivly, like an 1/8" over its width.

queequeg152 said:
i think if i can just ease the edges of the scratch i can make it less obvious

Generally, HELL NO.

But since it's your own shower and it's a few little tiny pieces, you can probably get it to where you want it. Start with the 50 or 60 and work the entire surface. HARD. And every single grit after that up to 3000.

There is a reason Marble has fallen out of favor in the last 20 years. Wanna guess why? Labor costs to deal with it. That's why. LMAO

Scoville DeVille said:
Generally, HELL NO.

But since it's your own shower and it's a few little tiny pieces, you can probably get it to where you want it. Start with the 50 or 60 and work the entire surface. HARD. And every single grit after that up to 3000.

There is a reason Marble has fallen out of favor in the last 20 years. Wanna guess why? Labor costs to deal with it. That's why. LMAO
yea i wish i would have just...shelled out for a stoneyard to cut me some quartz or even corian pieces.

i broke another piece of marble pounding it level with my fists. i spent like 2 hours profiling it and notching it...sucks. kinda my fault though. it had some perpendicular striations, i shoulda been more careful i guess.

anyway,marble is such a wretched material. im so done with it. this was an entirely poor move on my end.

scoville.
out of curiosity, what do you use to shape harder stone like granite or quartz? im looking at the pack of polishing disks i bought... and it specifically states its for marble travertine... limestone and all sorts of soft shit. guessing it will be worthless on hard stuff like quartz/granite.

queequeg152 said:
anyway,marble is such a wretched material. im so done with it. this was an entirely poor move on my end.

when it comes time for the kitchen, post up some drawings and i might be able to help you talk your way to a good deal from your local shop ;) ...

All this talk about marble is giving me flashbacks when I used to work in a cultured marble shop making bathroom vanities & bathtubs. Worst damn job I ever had. 

You're using natural marble though right?

TXCG said:
All this talk about marble is giving me flashbacks when I used to work in a cultured marble shop making bathroom vanities & bathtubs. Worst damn job I ever had. 

You're using natural marble though right?
natural? as in not porcelain? yea, atleast i think so?  i mean it feels natural, but who knows.

but if by natural you mean... un molested by the resin impregnation process grant spoke of? i have no clue really.

queequeg152 said:
natural? as in not porcelain? yea, atleast i think so?  i mean it feels natural, but who knows.

but if by natural you mean... un molested by the resin impregnation process grant spoke of? i have no clue really.

cultured marble a poured product ... kind of plastic-like ...

queequeg152 said:
natural? as in not porcelain? yea, atleast i think so? 

Cultured marble is made from marble powder mixed that is cast using molds. Natural marble would be like marble cut from a solid slab of rock like you'd see a sculpture or something made out of. 

The way we made cultured marble was you would take a mold, apply some mold release to it so you could separate the stuff later, spray down a clear gel coat and let it set up. Then you mix marble powder with resin, color it how you want then add a 2nd smaller batch of the color you want the veins to be. Then add a bit of catalyst that causes the resin to harden and quickly slap it down in the molds and smooth it out. Then use a big vibrating motor attached to the table or the bathtub mold to get all the air bubbles out.

It sucked. It was hot, loud, you would get covered from head to toe in marble, the catalyst would cause chemical burns when it got under your gloves or on your skin, the fumes were noxious & the pay was shit.

Also if you're using cultured marble one of the reasons it wouldn't polish well is because you would be polishing the gel coat surface. I think its possible to reapply the gel coat but I never did the installation part just made the stuff. I hated every minute of it too. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back