• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Queequeg grows stuff, and fixes junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
plants:
if they look crumy, its because they are.
need water and ive been lazy, ill go back out there and water them at some point today.
also got SMASHED last night by some nasty wind...

victim of mine, not the wind. pvc hose sliped off the table and snapped it.
serrano dosent seem to care though. we shall see what happens...

lettuce plants.

cactus plants.

tobacco plants from last winter... i chopped these down to a stump but they grew back. ive not watered these what so ever since last... december ?
no clue why they are alive still.

fertigation machine. in pieces.

my intention here is to shrink the system down substantiall.... such that it fits into the trunk of my car. im going to fold my old design into 2 pieces... and push the frame out into the third dimension.
im also going to add a filtration system. the filtration will require a far more substantial pump, so im going to just mount this onto the frame as well as the filter.

my fancy pump. grundfos up15-58 with a custom plastic head from some other hydronic heating company.

can anyone identify this plug? if so i will kiss your mouth.
spent like an hour on the molex website... im 60% sure its not a molex branded connector.

Ozzy2001 said:
I really enjoyed catching up on the last few pages.  Just seeing the pictures of your shower makes me twitch.  I freaking hate doing shower tile.  Looks great though!  Glad I'm not the one doing it lol.

unfortunatly it has not really gone anywhere since that last post. have had a ball busting ear infection the past 4-5 days.

should have some update what with the wall grout this weekend.

i was doing dat math yo.

i was doing it after work like a filthy little pervert sniffing bowling shoes.

turns out my 8' trellis is 100% possible at 400lbs tension per line, and 200% possible at 300lbs. only annoying this is the bearing on the soil under the post is way more than the wet sloppy clay soil can handle so i need to pour a 7-8" diameter plug of fiber reinforced cement to increase the bearing area enough to prevent settling.

it will be guyed with two earth anchors per post, set 24-30 deep at 30 degrees. i may or may not have to use another post in lieu of a full 30 degree slope into the ground owing to space constraints, but i dont think so... not unless there are roots in the way or what ever.

the wires wont gallop at all... southern yellow pine is more than strong enough to handle the bending moment at the ground should something nasty happen.what else... sag at 400 lbs is only like an inch assuming 300 lbs of toms are on the line...

anyway its possible so i bought all the shit i should need to build this thing the way i want to. 8' tall, not gimpy and short like a gaylord vinyard trellis. and with shitty SYP from home depot. hoping to start on this this weekend.

Scoville DeVille said:
Where's the grout pics? I wanna see the "during" and "after" pics. LOL
ill post some stuff this weekend probably. i got all the shit you told me to get just sitting in a pile on the floor ready to grout but then that ear infection hit me.

i still dont have the floor tile yet so im not in a huge hurry to be honest.

my tomato plants are like chin heigh... i got fucked by that ear infection and now i need to rush around getting this trellis set up before i loose alot of productivity here.

ugh. so my post holes... about 52 inches deep are collecting serious amoutns of water. ive been pumping them down, but the water table is only like 2' from the surface right now.
the post on the low side of the yard had 3' of water this morning so i dont think i can pour any cement for a while... sucks a big one.

we got like 14 inches of rain last week, im guessing thats where this water is coming from... that or the pool shell is leaking grieviously. the latter is not possible imo... water level is stable or so slow that its not really detectable.

the already plastic clay gets even more plastic when its soaked like this. ive been thinking about tossing bentonite into the hole to leach the moisture from the immediate area around the shaft, then liming the base, compacting, then pouring a post base with cement and fast setting additive?

alternativly i could dig another deeper shaft and continuously drain the first... vacuum aspirator probably would work.

either way its clear to me these will not last very long. little as 5 years maby. this amount of water is probably atypical, but some amount of water at this depth is probably fairly common. presure treated or not, the wood will rot eventually no matter what i do.

2826983e73c4297696516f5e6ac434e2.jpg

holy shit i HATE grouting. its such an uninteresting and laborious task...

im having to push the living shit out of the grout with my rubber float thing and its still not sitting far enough down into the joints... then i hit it with a dry sponge a few times... wait like 10 minutes and hit it with a damp sponge untill the grout joint is the way i want it... im thinking i need a softer grout float? one that can push shit down deeper?

idk, terrible terrible work. i know now why scoville hits the whisky hard on grout day.
pics to follow

grout pics. i did not have my camera with me when i was slamming it up... when the grout was setting up i want out and found it though and snapped these pics. not 100% clean, but pretty much clean.

the grout was not messy at all. i think the smooth tile keeps things very easy and manageable. i smash i onto the walls like... 45 degrees up sweeping right, then sweeping left, then 45 degrees down sweeping left and right... pushing VERY hard, then i pick up the left over with the edge of the float.

i didnt wait long enough for my caulk to cure i guess... i f**ked it up good with the esges of the float. im spoiled by urethane caulks i guess. ill have to rip this caulk out and re do it i guess.

here is my back yard after a winter of demo and poor lawn care. the lumber pile got so wide that i could no longer get the mower back there and thats when it all went to hell. anyway im spraying diquat/glyphoste because f**k trying to mow this all down. nobody got time for that.

where my plants will go. lets call this a before picture. an after picture will follow shortly,.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand. chemicals.

digging holes. these holes are like 48" plus like half the green handles... call it 52 inches deep. these will handle my trellis posts.

OK HYBRID MODE HAS TO LOOK AWAY NOW.

ok now heres my cactus's. left to themselves over the winter. almost all of them had fallen over during the winter.
they have grown quite large in my absence... most managed to root themselves into the rocky patio i had them on. i never expected that.

one cactus died =(.

i piece of cardboard had fallen ontop of it? not sure where it came from... musta blown in from a storm. anyway it covered over a cactus and killed it with moisture and shade. the tip survived, but its all white and wierd looking. thankfully this was just a bridgessi... i have many more and im not terribly fond of them. its sad never the less.

ive got them all layed out now. im going to have to section most of them up.. my peruvians is like 5 feet tall with 3 pups ... its crazy thin though so its too unstable to go vertical again.

sump pump thing with check valve deal.

plant area cactus free and sprayed down with diquat and glyphosate.

note the hoop of wire? thats my 9 gauge galvanized trellis wire.

Oh shit dude. Caulk sticks to grout. Grout does not stick to caulk. You should have grouted first!

Grout looks good tho.

there are these little in ground stone plant containers built into the pool deck.

i want to put them in there eventually. i can amend them to what ever i want, they are not terribly big. largest one is probably 65 gallons, the smallest are probably 35 gallons?

no clue what the native soil ph is. its heavy clay past the first foot or so of top soil.

hybrid, what do you use to root logs on their sides? or... how do you go about propigating side logs? im thinking of just filling some seed flats with coir and verm and setting them about 1/3rd deep untill they are established then transfer them to somethign else to generate pups.

most of these have roots already pushed out, some very large, some just nubbies... wondering how long i should wait between cutting and callusing to plopping them into some coir for rooting? im thinking of trying to callus the cuts while protecting the roots in some fasion... thinking damp cloth or damp rockwool, someting sterile like that.

ive seen people use damp peat moss held with muslin cloth to root cuttings before making actual cuttings too... idk just thinking out loud.

As you found out through the use of cardboard and sloth, Trichocereus root extremely easily. In fact, during the winter before last, I had a bridgesii send out a root about 2" from the top of the plant because it happened to have a pothos vine touching it while it was indoors for the winter. That tiny point of shade provided by the vine was all it took to convince the cactus that it was in contact with the ground and should send out a root. The root was over an inch long by the time I noticed it in spring.
     I like your idea about rooting logs in a starting tray. I bet coir would work fine. I think the most important think is to prevent any light from touching the area you want to root. I would just fill the tray, lay the log in it, push a rib or two in, and keep it in a shady spot. 
     I usually wait at least two weeks to allow wounds to callus before I attempt to root a cutting or put the parent plant back out in the rain. Just wait until there's a good, dry, papery callus and you should be OK. 
     Cactus roots are really hardy. Don't worry about keeping them wet while cuts callus. Just keep them in the shade - maybe wrap them in dark paper to prevent any light from convincing them they made a mistake. They should still be viable by the time you are ready to stick them in medium. When I transplant, I let the exposed roots callus over for a few weeks before potting up. It helps prevent root rot.
     The take-home message here is that cacti don't like to be given water, they prefer to think they found it on their own. Water is not necessary to get these cacti to root. All it takes is darkness to convince them to send out a few exploratory roots. Once they feel anchored to the media, give them a little water at a time until they start swelling up. Then they can drink.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     As you found out through the use of cardboard and sloth, Trichocereus root extremely easily. In fact, during the winter before last, I had a bridgesii send out a root about 2" from the top of the plant because it happened to have a pothos vine touching it while it was indoors for the winter. That tiny point of shade provided by the vine was all it took to convince the cactus that it was in contact with the ground and should send out a root. The root was over an inch long by the time I noticed it in spring.
     I like your idea about rooting logs in a starting tray. I bet coir would work fine. I think the most important think is to prevent any light from touching the area you want to root. I would just fill the tray, lay the log in it, push a rib or two in, and keep it in a shady spot. 
     I usually wait at least two weeks to allow wounds to callus before I attempt to root a cutting or put the parent plant back out in the rain. Just wait until there's a good, dry, papery callus and you should be OK. 
     Cactus roots are really hardy. Don't worry about keeping them wet while cuts callus. Just keep them in the shade - maybe wrap them in dark paper to prevent any light from convincing them they made a mistake. They should still be viable by the time you are ready to stick them in medium. When I transplant, I let the exposed roots callus over for a few weeks before potting up. It helps prevent root rot.
     The take-home message here is that cacti don't like to be given water, they prefer to think they found it on their own. Water is not necessary to get these cacti to root. All it takes is darkness to convince them to send out a few exploratory roots. Once they feel anchored to the media, give them a little water at a time until they start swelling up. Then they can drink.

cool. im glad to hear the little root nubs are hearty...  im going to start sectioning them this evening. i think ill put them roots face down into the DRY coir for like... a week? then wet the coir out to get them rooting and fire up the T8 light?

do you use a fan to dry out the cuts? ive done it both ways... didnt notice much difference to be honest. not like i have two fans to put on both ends anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back