• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question About Pepper Plant Flowers

As I look at the pictures around the site, I see a lot of pepper plants with white flowers. I grew a plant from a pepper some guy gave me (I have no idea what kind of pepper it was) I thought it was a Red Thai because of the white flowers. My question is......is it possible that I don't have a Thai plant?

yes most chilli species have white flowers (some have purple or white with a purple line around it). Some however have different colours on the inside (baccatum has yellow/brown spots on the leaves) or the corollas may be a different colour eg. blue or purple. So you can't just tell from the flowers. You can help identify what species but not the variety just with a flower.

without pic no telling what is it..
Here is a pic. I can tell you the pepper the guy gave me was a long skinny red pepper. Any ideas on the what this is?

7bad0670.jpg

Looks like a C. annuum to me but you'll probably need pods to identify it any further

+1 but even with pods it's tough (or nearly impossible) to say EXACTLY what it is. You can google until Hell freezes over and the best answer you'll get will still be an educated guess. If it tastes good, eat it.

I agree. As I said before many chilli plants have the same flowers so you can't just go off that. There are so many thousands of varieties out there that it could be anything. Pods will help you identify it so you will just have to be patient for a little while i think :cool:

if i was to call it

i would go with "chile de arból"

go to a spanish language grocery store and look
at the dried chilies sold there and see what they call that type
:woohoo:
i am growing three different traited types of what i think is "chile de arból"
and am labeling them: short, medium, and long on top of de arból

these were selected and given to me by a friend because they are all very hot :dance:

Back