• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question for those who sell plants.

I just finished sowing seeds for 144 plants, most of which I am growing to sell to someone at a local farmer's market. I have a question for those of you who sell seedlings. Is there anywhere that you can get plant id markers like those that come from nurseries? Ones that tell the name, heat, pod size, description, growing season, picture of pods, etc.

I have those kind of markers. I was hoping to find a site where they sell them with a pic of the pods and all the info already printed on them so I don't have to write it out, and so that my friend won't have to explain to everyone everything about the plants. I guess I will just type something up for each variety and print it out, then label the plants with their names only.

Jay,

I sell quite a few plants each year and all I do is write the name of the plant (Red Delicious, Habenero, Ping Tung, S. (for Sweet)Basil on the label. Then I have printed sheet that shows the expected size. No one seems to ask for more - they are buying varieties they know or have read about.

YMMV,

Mike

Yeah that seems to be the best answer. I just KNOW that the people at this market aren't going to know what a 7-Pot, Scorpion, Fatalii, etc etc etc are though. I'll have to print up something good and informative.

Good luck. If you find a chilihead, it will be an easy sale. But the people off the street, who want to buy a "hot pepper" will only hear jalapeno or habenero. I did get a couple of buyers from Craigs List - just be sure to use as many search terms as possible. FWIW, I only had one 7-pod plant I could part with, but a guy gave me $10 for it. I gave him a bunch of Bhut peppers last year and he contacted me to see if I had any plants for sale. He has never heard of a 7-pod but took my word that it is suppose to be super hot.

Mike

I've been thinking about this also.

I think I'll have a piece of paper (maybe 1/4 of a page) printed with specific info for each variety. Give one to the customer when they buy it. That should be pretty easy to copy&paste from a growers website.

And I'm thinking of having a thermometer/scoville scale picture posted with the usual jalapeno/cayenne/habaneo/bhut and then show where the fatalii, 7 pod, or whatever, fit on the heat scale. Hopefully that will answer a FEW questions..........

I don't WANT to sell anything, but I have to get a little income to offset what I have to spend on supplies....keeping hubby on my side. :)

By the way, what are y'all charging per plant for market sales?

I'm wholesaling them all (around 100 plants) to one guy. I think I am going to charge him $1 a piece for habs and annums, and $2 a piece for superhots and other rare varieties. If I recoup $150 in one shot that would be enough for me. If I was selling them to the public, seems they usually bring about double those prices at local markets.

And Mike, I think more of these customers will know about the superhots, because they are going to be buying them from the hot sauce guru at the market and he has about 6 weeks to talk them up before they get to him.

Hey JayT -

Don't sell up just yet!

Those prices are for 25" plants in 1.5 gallon grow bags, not seedlings...My reply was to salsalady's question, regarding what price we all sell at. :-)

I sell a few huge plants later in the year, usually around $10 but these are 5-6+ month old plants in 5 gallon containers and usually loaded with pods. In my climate its just not realistic to sell or buy small pepper plants since our season is short and plantout isn't usually until June

Pods are certainly a prerequisite of a sale here, also.

I was fortunate enough to have plants in literally all stages of growth, and simply packed what I needed each time...

huntsman said:
Hey JayT -

Don't sell up just yet!

Those prices are for 25" plants in 1.5 gallon grow bags, not seedlings...My reply was to salsalady's question, regarding what price we all sell at. :-)

Heh heh seems South Africa isn't ready for me just yet. :lol:

Wow $1 each and supers for $2? Shit I should buy from you! I sell commons (4"- 6" plants) for $5 and supers for $10. I use plastic picnic knives as markers and write on them with a Sharpie. They're great and only cost $5 a thousand.

I agree with tmj, I sell Supers at 7.00 and more. other chinenses at 5.00. You have to demand a premium because you are selling the best plants around and they are not available on every corner, if they are you are selling the wrong varieties. JMO.

Dale

Back