• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question

I do appopogize on my behavilor tonight im just a little freaked out and nervous...Red Jalapinos are like eating candy with more heat and once again the candy thing I love red japs

Red Xalapas (jalapenos) in Mexican mercado:
Yellow ones are manzanos.

mex2.jpg

Yep, like everyone else said, Jalapenos turn red when ripe, they also get that neat cracked effect on them with is refered to as "netting". When ripe the JAlapeno has more sugar and capsaicin content. They taste fantastic! It's my favorite pepper to make poppers out of.

and they are 2 bucks a pound more than the green japs are...that's what gets me is they are the same pepper...I suppose the cost of growing them to maturity is 2-3 weeks more time in the field...:shocked:

imaguitargod said:
they also get that neat cracked effect on them with is refered to as "netting"

I always thought it's called corking ?

AlabamaJack said:
and they are 2 bucks a pound more than the green japs are...that's what gets me is they are the same pepper...I suppose the cost of growing them to maturity is 2-3 weeks more time in the field...:shocked:

what costs ? they don't do anything except let mother nature water them or they do. IMO they jack the price up cuz they're red & ripe :rolleyes: & they taste better once ripe so why not charge more in their eyes.
just like colored bells 1 green bell costs at most $1 yet a red/yellow/orange bell would cost sometimes $3 each :rolleyes:

AlabamaJack said:
That's what they say.
chilehunter said:
I always thought it's called corking ?
It's called that as well.

I too call it corking, and I generally understand the extra price associated with ripe vs. green peppers. What encouragement is there for the farmer to grow ripe peppers if there is no extra reward? and I would think you could get a lot more production off green bell peppers or jalapenos since you can pick them earlier and encourage more fruiting, and you'd probably have less pest issues too.

It shall be decreed that cracking on jalapenos shall be called corking and shall ne'er be called netting again.

POTAWIE said:
What encouragement is there for the farmer to grow ripe peppers if there is no extra reward? and I would think you could get a lot more production off green bell peppers or jalapenos since you can pick them earlier and encourage more fruiting

well then whats the incentive for growing anything until ripe ? reason people won't buy them unless ripe. theres plenty of veggies/fruit that are sold only once ripe or ripen at the store.

maybe if everyone stops buying unripe chiles or asks the grocery store to stock ripe chiles then the unripe ones will go away, I know its far fetched sort of.

chilehunter said:
maybe if everyone stops buying unripe chiles or asks the grocery store to stock ripe chiles then the unripe ones will go away, I know its far fetched sort of.

Reeeally far fetched when it comes to jalapenos since there obviously are even chileheeds that don't know that they are red when ripe:) And also because some people prefer the unripe ones for some reasen.

I love my red jals.....

I was very surprised with my Jal plant......Last year I planted it from seed and once it was big enough to fruit, it had hundreds of green chillis on it and none who ripen......I just ate the green ones and left a few on the tree to see what would happen. Well 3/4 of the way into winter (a mild winter) the bloody things ripened......

Now that it is a second year plant and was cut back a little before summer, It is producing on a massive scale and the chillies are ripening to red in weeks and with next to no corking

I went through my anti-green pepper phase but I've changed and I really do do like the flavor of many green pepper including bells, jalapenos, pepperoncinis, and many others. I just wish more people were exposed to ripe red jals and red jal chipotles so they could appreciate all the great but different flavors associated with a single variety of pepper.

Back