Question

I prefer 'em green (don't kill me!), even more I prefer 'em pickled. I do use them fresh, smoked (chipotles!), simply dried and of course candied with the red ones. they smell absolutely delicious candied out of the pot. it's the ultimate all-purpose chile! that's why it's my favorite chile. :)

Look at the corking on these magnificent red bastards I just picked up at Fiesta (mexican grocery store). Red & green are same price there. They had orange manzanos too, but they were old and nasty.

3190165212_ba7decf27f_o.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I find that corking kind of unattractive. I think they would look better all smooth and shiny.

Diabolus said:
I don't know about you guys but I find that corking kind of unattractive. I think they would look better all smooth and shiny.

Personally, I love the corking, it's one of the things that makes jalapenos unique. Give me a corked red jalapeno over a smooth green one any day. Red's are so good and sweet.

Txclosetgrower said:

not a fan of jalapenos but those I would surely buy! looks very tasty! the corking looks great & with the black color looks cool.

Diabolus said:

corking doesn't bother me, I like the looks of it on some chiles.

For germinating you better keep seeds of the red ones. I had red Jalapenos in Alabama and kept the seeds. They sprouted great. From the green Cayenne I had only one seed sprouted so far. And I still wait for the seeds of the green Poblanos, Anaheims and Serranos to sprout.

I love the corking on the japs and some of my serranos had corking this year too....

Omri...when you pickle your japs, do you use anything like "pickle crisp" to keep the texture firm? If not, how do you keep them firm?

I too love the corking on jals. Apparently they are more desirable in Mexico but less desirable in the US and Canada. I've actually seen jal varieties here listed as "resistant to corking" I've also had corking on Trinidad scorpion pods and many other varieties but none near as much as jalapenos

AlabamaJack said:
Omri...when you pickle your japs, do you use anything like "pickle crisp" to keep the texture firm? If not, how do you keep them firm?
Sadly I don't really keep them firm. I'm actually looking to soften 'em a bit (something I got years of eating Shipkas). at the end they're soft to touch, but not too soft... they do have crunchy sounds.

willard...your pepper pics are always awesome...

According to Wikipedia, more corking = more heat. I experimented with some jalapenos that I had this year and it seemed to me that the hotter ones indeed had more corking. That is one variable pepper though in terms of heat, even from the same plant. Classic flavor for sure, I rarely eat pizza w/o some jalapeno slices on top. Here is the photo and description from Wiki:

JalapenoPeppers.JPG

"A crude method of determining the heat level of jalapeño is to visually observe the number of scars present on the skin. Laboratory analysis of the above peppers showed them to have an average Scoville scale of 1980, 2350, 3620, 4450, and 7700 from the top pepper to the bottom."

Don't put all your faith in Wiki, I've had corking on heatless jalapenos and milder peppers too. I've also had super hot jals with no corking

POTAWIE said:
Don't put all your faith in Wiki, I've had corking on heatless jalapenos and milder peppers too. I've also had super hot jals with no corking

Yeah, a Wiki article is only as good as the people writing it. It's a great place to start when you're doing research, but it's generally best to get corroboration else where.

I'll do my usual rant on Wiki.....it is unvetted crap.

You want scientific credibility, you get it vetted by your peers or it is just crap.

I laugh when Wiki wannabe writers add these pepper articles and then ask people like me to edit for them and add pics

Yeah, i usually link to wikipedia as a reference, but wouldn't put any faith in it. It usually gives you enough info to give you a starting place for your research.

True dat on wiki.

I would gladly pay for red jalapenos. You can't buy them here.

I only grow jalapenos to get the red ones for drying and pickling.You can buy green ones for like .15/lb . Dirt Cheap!

Red jalapeno powder is the secret to my dry rub for ribs. It absolutely rocks on anything.

Back