• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Racing bike recommendations?

Anyone have experience with them? Suggestions on a brand? I'm not made of money so I can tell you I wont be dropping 8 grand on one.

Real question is how much will you drop on one? I might be able to help a bit.

Edit 2: Toilet with weights in the front and a unicycle on the bottom. It's great for learning to balance, even better for strengthening bones once you can find them again.

something like this?
TourFat.jpg

I'd say if your doing the triathlon, I'd find one of those couchcycles Sicman posted.
You'd be able to rest a bit on one leg of it. You could even mount a beer holder and a TV tray for a light snack to build up some energy for the next portion.

I looked into fixing an old one up that I have but I think I'll just have to suck it up and save up to buy one. Found some good ones in the 600 range at a local shop

If you know the frame size that fits you, check out Craigslist... you might get crazy lucky. But the safest way is through a shop. They know what they are doing, and what they are looking for when fitting the bike to you.

SumOfMyBits said:
If you know the frame size that fits you, check out Craigslist... you might get crazy lucky. But the safest way is through a shop. They know what they are doing, and what they are looking for when fitting the bike to you.

Yeah she mentioned a size today but I forgot. I will probably go back there when I buy one to be sure I get it right

SumOfMyBits said:
Hit up your local bike shop. If you are serious about a road bike, you'll need to get fitted. This is one thing you shouldn't buy over the internets.

And the good bikes aren't sold in big box stores.  ;)

I'm a bike shop owner and would also recommend using the resources of your local bike shop.  Find an honest shop that does sizing and fitting and pay to have them measure you up.  Tell them you're looking for a used bike.  See if the fitter will allow you to bounce some used bikes that you find off him to see if the geometry will work for you.  They should be understanding.  Even better yet if the shop carries used bikes.  Then, after you purchase the used bike, take it to that shop and have them do a tune up and set the bike up to your measurements.  Having a properly adjusted and fitted bicycle is very important if you're looking to use it competitively to avoid injury and use your body as effeciently as possible.

Back