• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Raelaceae GLOG 16-17 - Victoria, Australia

Hey all,

Thought I'd start a belated GLOG and share some pics.

It's been a bit of a challenge as I've moved TWICE since the start of the season. Though, managed to get some plants in the ground. Despite losing many a tag in the process.

:onfire: 

Amish Bush
Hot Beads
Hot Beads x ?
Jalapeno
Super Chilli
African Bird's Eye (Piri Piri)
Prik Kariang
Shima Togarashii
Bahamian Goat
Chocolate Bhutlah SM
Chocolate Bhutlah 
Carolina Reaper HP22B
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Jonah
Scotch Bonnet Yellow, Red
Trinidad Scorpion Original Strain
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend Chocolate (JR)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Brown (PL)
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow
Urubu Wild Brazil
Rocoto 

So, this was an interesting one. It was supposed to be a Moruga Chocolate, but it's ripening to caramel and the pods show a lot of variation. Some are looking quite Bhut-like. It's the hottest thing I've eaten for a while.

DSC_0854_zpso1tuuxt3.jpg

DSC_0852_zpsg7lsy2qo.jpg

_20170318_151255_zpslrdeju1v.jpg

Same plant
DSC_0843_zpslixxcmqg.jpg

Bahamian Goat
_20170316_182114_zpsd2girsih.jpg

Lost tag..
DSC_0777_zpsxvx64piz.jpg

This is 1 of 2 NOT (or crossed) HOT BEADS from Pepperlover
DSC_0778_zps74t8yzfp.jpg

Supposed to be a TS but I bought this from Bunnings, obviously skeptical..
DSC_0774_zpsitksjsi8.jpg

Getting tonnes of japs, pity not as many supers! Still plenty unripe atm
IMG_20170317_164633_396_zpsyyswvdy1.jpg

Bonus: There is a place in OG that is using my XVII BBG7 Raisin BBQ Sauce on his monstrous burger. So good.
IMG_20170317_151653_263_zpss5cnnfeh.jpg

RaelThomas said:
Bonus: There is a place in OG that is using my XVII BBG7 Raisin BBQ Sauce on his monstrous burger. So good.

Great looking pods mate, that Caramel Moruga is a pleasant surprise I'm sure. 

Do you make your own sauces, or do you use a co-packer?

SR.

Shorerider said:

Great looking pods mate, that Caramel Moruga is a pleasant surprise I'm sure. 

Do you make your own sauces, or do you use a co-packer?

SR.
Thanks Shoerider!

A very pleasant surprise! Nice flavour, too. Not at all floral.

I make my own sauces, no co-packer. I'm mostly doing wholesale at the moment.

Rael

Not floral.....hmmm, interesting. Most supers I've tasted have that distinct floral taste, it does sound tasty.

Not sure if you're aware, I've been making my own sauces for a few years now also. Just for my own use, friends and family, and a few of the crew here.

I have hesitated for some time now to take things further than just a hobby, I have been thinking about it more often lately though. Maybe one day.......

Shorerider said:
Not floral.....hmmm, interesting. Most supers I've tasted have that distinct floral taste, it does sound tasty.

Not sure if you're aware, I've been making my own sauces for a few years now also. Just for my own use, friends and family, and a few of the crew here.

I have hesitated for some time now to take things further than just a hobby, I have been thinking about it more often lately though. Maybe one day.......
Yeah, I was surprised. Interested to see how they grow out next gen.

I didn't, awesome! We should do some sauce swapsies. I don't make much off mine, I'm looking to get more on the menu around other venues here as it's so much easier than selling 150ml bottles. And I'm time poor.

RaelThomas said:
So, this was an interesting one. It was supposed to be a Moruga Chocolate, but it's ripening to caramel and the pods show a lot of variation. Some are looking quite Bhut-like. It's the hottest thing I've eaten for a while.

DSC_0854_zpso1tuuxt3.jpg

DSC_0852_zpsg7lsy2qo.jpg

_20170318_151255_zpslrdeju1v.jpg

Same plant
DSC_0843_zpslixxcmqg.jpg

Bahamian Goat
_20170316_182114_zpsd2girsih.jpg

Lost tag..
DSC_0777_zpsxvx64piz.jpg

This is 1 of 2 NOT (or crossed) HOT BEADS from Pepperlover
DSC_0778_zps74t8yzfp.jpg

Supposed to be a TS but I bought this from Bunnings, obviously skeptical..
DSC_0774_zpsitksjsi8.jpg

Getting tonnes of japs, pity not as many supers! Still plenty unripe atm
IMG_20170317_164633_396_zpsyyswvdy1.jpg

Nice to see you have so much going on Rael! Were those caramel pods the first ripe Chinense for you this season? The "TS" from Bunnings looks like a Habanero or Habanero cross... it'd be interesting if it was another variation on the Scotch Brain.

Very cool that you're getting many ripe Jalapenos. Do you ever smoke and dry them to make Chipotles? Looking at the corking, they must be pretty hot for Jals. Also very cool that you're supplying a local restaurant with your hot sauce... Bonus!

stickman said:

Nice to see you have so much going on Rael! Were those caramel pods the first ripe Chinense for you this season? The "TS" from Bunnings looks like a Habanero or Habanero cross... it'd be interesting if it was another variation on the Scotch Brain.

Very cool that you're getting many ripe Jalapenos. Do you ever smoke and dry them to make Chipotles? Looking at the corking, they must be pretty hot for Jals. Also very cool that you're supplying a local restaurant with your hot sauce... Bonus!

Thanks, Rick!

It's definitely the first ripe superhot I've had. I've had a few Bahamian Goats and Urubu Wild Brazil (which I found to be very very hot, and tasty).

The TS from Bunnings I kind of expected to be a hab or cross of. They come from the same company - I think - who supplies "Carolina Reaper" and "Bhut Jolokia" to our supermarkets. Having bought them I can certainly say they weren't true to type, in heat or shape. Likely crossed with habs, IMO.

The Jals are very hot, as Jals go. Also very tasty. I received these as no specific cultivar, but I am very happy with them. I've never made my own Chipotles (smokers are very uncommon in AUS), thought it's been something that I've been meaning to try my hand at!

RaelThomas said:
Yeah, I was surprised. Interested to see how they grow out next gen.

I didn't, awesome! We should do some sauce swapsies. I don't make much off mine, I'm looking to get more on the menu around other venues here as it's so much easier than selling 150ml bottles. And I'm time poor.
I could send a bottle of my sauce along with the seed train seeds seeing as you are the first stop.

SR.

stickman said:

You might give this cold smoker made from a cardboard box a try... http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a22259/meat-smoker-cardboard-box/
Can you get ahold of hardwoods to smoke with in your area? Fruitwoods like apple or cherry would be ideal.

You are full of good info, Rick.

I certainly will. There is a homebrew store near me that I'm sure has woods. Not sure what the selection is like but I will be sure to check it out.

Shizz is looking good, man!

Where did you source the Piri Piri? That suntan... looks purdy... love the green and black contrast. What's the taste and heat like?

gasificada said:
Shizz is looking good, man!

Where did you source the Piri Piri? That suntan... looks purdy... love the green and black contrast. What's the taste and heat like?

Thanks Gassy!

They are one of the few I picked up at Bunnings, actually. They are labelled as a frutescens but are annuum to my eyes. They took a very long time to ripen from their tannage. Nice, hot dry heat.
Been using them a lot in Asianesque stuff at home and taking them to work (because the Viets never give me enough chilli when I order Pho).

Seems to be exactly what the Chilli Factory is selling (read: http://thechillifactory.com/chilli-chili-chile-product-African%20Birds%20Eye%20Chilli%20(Piri%20Piri%20Chilli)

Photo dump time! :)

Here's another Choc Moruga X Unknown. I figured out the taste... Strawberries, they're sensational. VERY hot, too.
Hope they hold true to this, I'll be putting some indoors to grow out F2 very, very soon. Just ordered myself a new grow tent.

DSC_0871_zpsk1oqedy9.jpg

Same Plant
DSC_0884_zpsv1dj704t.jpg

DSC_0770_zpsxvf9vg1s.jpg

Yellow 7 Jonah
IMG_20170325_145257_135_zpswqy8j9d7.jpg

DSC_0878_zpsjllfujpd.jpg

Unknown (guessing TSMC)
DSC_0885_zpsm36fqybb.jpg

NOT Hot Beads, waiting for red, not happening.
DSC_0886_zpswjc5jqsf.jpg

Not 100% TSMY or 7PY?
DSC_0881_zps12uie8xq.jpg

Urubu Wild Brazil. Has some damage from my homemade aphid spray...... D'oh
DSC_0887_zpsksvshbkp.jpg

Rocoto Canario
DSC_0892_zpsy6owl6g4.jpg

Amish Bush
DSC_0893_zpsrr6powvf.jpg

Prik kariang
DSC_0889_zps2g3wv2xb.jpg

Thai small
DSC_0754_zpsmnhekq4o.jpg

"Piri Piri" (Annuum)
DSC_0888_zpsjq2pzput.jpg

Random
DSC_0890_zpseq2jh7nd.jpg

1490414224728_zpsj9luq4gb.jpg

BONUS: Some Cacti
DSC_0894_zpssulvfo55.jpg

Stapelia variegata in flower
DSC_0895_zpswkxyhmiz.jpg

Last lot of Tomatoes for the season
1490229763897_zpsncyootc8.jpg

Your description of the flavor of the mystery Caramel pepper makes me wonder how it'd be in a fruity hot sauce. It's probably too late to find Strawberries in season where you are, but how about Mango?

It's nice to see so many of your chiles ripening up... keeping my fingers crossed that the weather holds for you.

Those are some crazy-looking blossoms on that succulent plant. It looks like they're meant to lie flat on the ground. That and the color scheme of the flower makes me wonder if their principal pollinators are Ants.

Great color on your Chocolate Moruga Unknown X! I love the great looking cacti collection as well. They all look very healthy. Do I spy a Lophophora in the foreground?

stickman said:
Your description of the flavor of the mystery Caramel pepper makes me wonder how it'd be in a fruity hot sauce. It's probably too late to find Strawberries in season where you are, but how about Mango?

It's nice to see so many of your chiles ripening up... keeping my fingers crossed that the weather holds for you.

Those are some crazy-looking blossoms on that succulent plant. It looks like they're meant to lie flat on the ground. That and the color scheme of the flower makes me wonder if their principal pollinators are Ants.

I was thinking the exact same thing, Rick. I'd really like to try it in a fruity sauce. It is a bit late for strawberries here. Mangoes too, really. But, I know of a place that has frozen organic starwberries and other fruit year round, so I think I will hit them up.

On the Stapelia: Very close! They are carrion flowers, they smell of rotting flesh. Flies, I believe, are the primary pollinators.

Thanks, Rick! It is starting to cool here with a few warm days scattered about. Here's to hoping! :)

Bhuter said:
Great color on your Chocolate Moruga Unknown X! I love the great looking cacti collection as well. They all look very healthy. Do I spy a Lophophora in the foreground?

Thanks Bhuter! Cacti were my first horticultural obsession, though I've paired back the collection somewhat over the years. They are too hard to move from house to house!
That is - indeed - a Lophophora williamsii! I've had that plant for over a decade. It's about 10cm (4 inches) across... 

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! I love the blossom! I was wondering how old that monster was. I had a 2 year old L. Williamsii about ten years ago and also started a few from seed. I grafted the seedlings to some Pereskiopsis and they grew incredibly fast (well, faster than on its own stock). But my dumba$$ left a window open in the winter and froze them all. Gorgeous, my friend!

-Adam

Back