• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Raelaceae GLOG 16-17 - Victoria, Australia

Hey all,

Thought I'd start a belated GLOG and share some pics.

It's been a bit of a challenge as I've moved TWICE since the start of the season. Though, managed to get some plants in the ground. Despite losing many a tag in the process.

:onfire: 

Amish Bush
Hot Beads
Hot Beads x ?
Jalapeno
Super Chilli
African Bird's Eye (Piri Piri)
Prik Kariang
Shima Togarashii
Bahamian Goat
Chocolate Bhutlah SM
Chocolate Bhutlah 
Carolina Reaper HP22B
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Jonah
Scotch Bonnet Yellow, Red
Trinidad Scorpion Original Strain
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend Chocolate (JR)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Brown (PL)
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow
Urubu Wild Brazil
Rocoto 

Bhuter said:
Wow! Absolutely beautiful! I love the blossom! I was wondering how old that monster was. I had a 2 year old L. Williamsii about ten years ago and also started a few from seed. I grafted the seedlings to some Pereskiopsis and they grew incredibly fast (well, faster than on its own stock). But my dumba$$ left a window open in the winter and froze them all. Gorgeous, my friend!

-Adam

Thanks, Adam! Damn! I know that pain. I tried a few pereskiopsis grafts, too. Funnily enough, I left mine on a windowsill and lost them in the heat..... doh. 
They grow so quickly, grafted, it almost takes the fun out of it. I love the fact that 3/4 of the plant exists below the soil. I'm waiting for this one to pup, hopefully one day.

Here's another shot.

DSC_0899_zpsb6lzsvxj.jpg

Here's some kimchi, too :) My house stinks!
DSC_0900_zpsnrnqbxmy.jpg

Very, VERY nice. It's such a beautiful cactus. Does yours set seed often? Mine never got old enough to bloom (I think I remember something about them needing to be about 3 years old, but I may be wrong). I should look into starting another. Kimchi time!

Bhuter said:
Very, VERY nice. It's such a beautiful cactus. Does yours set seed often? Mine never got old enough to bloom (I think I remember something about them needing to be about 3 years old, but I may be wrong). I should look into starting another. Kimchi time!

I've had it for 10 years, it's about 13, at a guess. It has set seed the last few years. I would guess it flowered at about 4 years, but I didn't notice any self-pollination until about 4 years ago. Being sort of transient I didn't do anything with them. I intend to, this time around.
Where are you based, Adam?

It's always Kimchi time!

RaelThomas said:

I've had it for 10 years, it's about 13, at a guess. It has set seed the last few years. I would guess it flowered at about 4 years, but I didn't notice any self-pollination until about 4 years ago. Being sort of transient I didn't do anything with them. I intend to, this time around.
Where are you based, Adam?

It's always Kimchi time!
I was wondering if they self-pollinated or needed a partner. That very cool! I live in Michigan, USA. Quite a jaunt away from where you are. We're just getting into the warmer weather.

Photo time. The nights are starting to cool here but we have some pretty nice days scattered about. I think I heard that this past March was the warmest in history.

Getting a small harvest like this every week or so. Not as much as I'd like but hey, no complaints! 
Pictured here: Scotch Bonnet, Piri Piri, Jalapeno, Y7 Jonah, TS CARDI, Prik ki nu, Caramel Moruga X, Wild Brazil, Black Pearl, Amish Bush (Good luckl spotting those, they're minuscule). 
DSC_0916_zpspv1fliyl.jpg

TS Moruga
DSC_0913_zps49b8qshj.jpg

6b82007a-15ee-4298-baf7-577d88afd0e8_zpsyftz0fgz.jpg

I'm also getting ready for winter.. :)
1490620906691_zpsp1melks0.jpg

If you're getting runt pods, it looks like summer's shot its bolt Rael... I hope you're satisfied with this year's harvest. Cool-looking grow tent. Seeing the attention you're paying to venting heat from it, are you planning on lighting it with a metal halide bulb?

stickman said:
If you're getting runt pods, it looks like summer's shot its bolt Rael... I hope you're satisfied with this year's harvest. Cool-looking grow tent. Seeing the attention you're paying to venting heat from it, are you planning on lighting it with a metal halide bulb?
Still got some nice looking pods on the ripen. It's been unseasonably warm here. I feel any more will be little winter pods though. I can see a few heading that way.

I'm using a HPS in the tent. I will have the exhaust over the cool tube on a temperature controller :)

That's a 100w fluoro in that picture, but I couldnt resist the HPS. I did jump down from a 600 to a 400w, however. Hah

RaelThomas said:
Still got some nice looking pods on the ripen. It's been unseasonably warm here. I feel any more will be little winter pods though. I can see a few heading that way.

I'm using a HPS in the tent. I will have the exhaust over the cool tube on a temperature controller :)

That's a 100w fluoro in that picture, but I couldnt resist the HPS. I did jump down from a 600 to a 400w, however. Hah

Going with 400w should save you a third on the electric bill for sure. Not having to heat the growing area is a real bonus! Good luck!

stickman said:

Going with 400w should save you a third on the electric bill for sure. Not having to heat the growing area is a real bonus! Good luck!
Yeah, that should keep the girlfriend happy (or rather, happier... Haha). I have a new digital ballast that I can run on 50 or 75%, too. So, I will do that while they're little. Save a little more.

Any harvest is better then none bro ... I would take that with open arms right now .... I am looking at getting myself an HPS setup for winter as well bro ... Although might just go 600w for 4-6 plants all sitting in DWC or maybe fabric pots sitting on heat mats ... I like your set up though ... Much more classy then what I was thinking for mine :D

Great looking list and plants. Some of those pods are absolutely gorgeous. Im sad to just be catching up on your log, I will be sure to follow from now on though.

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time this season, especially with your bhuts, I have too many right now, I started like 30 seeds, have 28 plants..... wish I could share some with you.

Trippa said:
Any harvest is better then none bro ... I would take that with open arms right now .... I am looking at getting myself an HPS setup for winter as well bro ... Although might just go 600w for 4-6 plants all sitting in DWC or maybe fabric pots sitting on heat mats ... I like your set up though ... Much more classy then what I was thinking for mine :D
True that! Hope you get some pretty colours soon, mate!

I scored pretty well on that setup, I think. Tent, light, tube, globe, ballast, nutes , ducting and fans for $400.
I used ebb and flow or flood and drain in the past but I think I will go DWC, too, this time. 4x separate bubble pots and a res.
I thought of fabric pots, too, but I have heard some complaints.

Blitz527 said:
Great looking list and plants. Some of those pods are absolutely gorgeous. Im sad to just be catching up on your log, I will be sure to follow from now on though.

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time this season, especially with your bhuts, I have too many right now, I started like 30 seeds, have 28 plants..... wish I could share some with you.

Thank you, Blitz! Yeah, a but of a bummer about the bhuts, but I am happy to be getting some poddage! I suspect the Moruga X is a Bhut cross, so I kind of, almost have some hah.

RaelThomas said:
True that! Hope you get some pretty colours soon, mate!

I scored pretty well on that setup, I think. Tent, light, tube, globe, ballast, nutes , ducting and fans for $400.
I used ebb and flow or flood and drain in the past but I think I will go DWC, too, this time. 4x separate bubble pots and a res.
I thought of fabric pots, too, but I have heard some complaints.

Thank you, Blitz! Yeah, a but of a bummer about the bhuts, but I am happy to be getting some poddage! I suspect the Moruga X is a Bhut cross, so I kind of, almost have some hah.
Heysus!!! $200 bucks here just for a cheap 600w HPS with magnetic ballast ...

So, the sun has left me. A couple of semi-ripe pods to go but I think that is my lot. We had intense storms last night and a few plants snapped in half, not such a loss at this stage, though.
Time to focus on the indoor.

Here are some pics:

This is going to be a tasty mini batch of powder. 7PJ Yellow, CARDI, Bahamian Goat, Caramel Moruga X and Scotch Bonnet
DSC_0942_zpsirmky245.jpg

DSC_0925_zpsabvjsgkl.jpg

Beauitful 7PJY
DSC_0927_zpsvvwg99su.jpg

DSC_0938_zpsodz3hocr.jpg

I'm still loving this unknown Moruga Choc Caramel X Unknown. Still tastes like strawberries. I'd say it's about as hot as my stanard Morugas, too. And it looks hellish. Small, very productive plants, too. I might just grown out these X4 indoors, but undecided.
DSC_0941_zpsrwaisf8d.jpg

DSC_0935_zps01yehlit.jpg

DSC_0937_zpsmhajl89y.jpg

Assorted Moruga X, CARDI, Y7PJ, Piri Piri, SB, Jal, Urubu
IMG_20170405_143316_177_zpsdc4huzrn.jpg

stickman said:
Nice harvest Rael! Will you be drying and powdering all of it, freezing some or experimenting with making sauces?

Thanks, Rick! So far, I have frozen most of the hotter peppers & also Jals for sauces etc. I have found myself using a lot of powder recently though, so I'll dry the rest, I think!

Back