• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rare Pequin Varieties, can anyone ID??????

Well today I'm a very happy chappy,
In the mail today arrived some very nice surprises from a friend of mine in Mexico.
Here is what he sent;

Pequin Cocula from Guerrero, Mexico
Pequin Rojo from Quintana Roo, Mexico
Pequin Largo Rojo from Morelos, Mexico
Pequin Amarillo from Morelos, Mexico
Pequin Redondo Rojo #1 from Morelos, Mexico
Pequin Redondo Naranja from Morelos, Mexico
Pequin Redondo Rojo #2 from Morelos, Mexico
Pequin Pico de Pajaro Verde from Veracruz, Mexico
Pequin Pico de Pajaro Blanco Veracruz, Mexico
Pequin Blanco from Veracruz, Mexico
Pequin x Huik Habanero from Yucatan, Mexico
Habanero Mayapan from Yucatan, Mexico

Has anyone heard of these varieties before?
he obtained them from the countryside and said to me they were very hard to find
and that two of the varieties were a white pequin
I wasn't going to plant anymore this season but now I'm intrigued....

From what I've could find on the internet, the Habanero Mayapan is an new variety (orange pods) from Mexico for poor farmers that can't buy expensive seeds from the big company's atleast that's what I can make of it, read here. They start the project in 2009, see here. If I were you, I would sow they ;)

Hello Jungle I grow Cielo Rojo wich is a wild variety from mexico. They have a rich flavour unlike any of my other powders very earthy and grows into a bush 1.70m high. Produces heaps of red little pods(hence the name Cielo Rojo or Red Sky).

Could be that they are amongst your list just with another name. Do you have any pictures of the pods?

@ Lando
sorry no pics, I have no idea about them really just what he wrote,
nice plant you have there, I bet it takes some picking!

@Omri
yes he was saying there are alot of colors, one starts out white and then turns bright orange

I actually don't think 'Pequin Pico de Pajaro Verde' is supposed to be green, as "Pajaro Verde" (green bird) is a cultural thing. a story, a drink etc...

EDIT:
A green beak perhaps? a green bird's beak. :shocked:

Back