• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Savina

It isn't. But it is a plant protected variety (PPV), meaning it is trademarked. You can grow it for home use, but in order to sell the seed you have to be licensed by the company that owns the PVP rights.

It is a PVP variety (Plant variety protection)

"What is PVP? Plant Variety Protection (PVP) is a patent on a sexually propagated plant variety. PVP protects rights of ownership for the people who develop and release a cultivar for a period of 20 years. At the same time, there is full disclosure of how the variety was developed, making information available to anyone who wants it so that additional genetic advances can be made."
http://cropandsoil.oregonstate.edu/cereals/PVP/pvp.htm

I don't know for sure, but I think it has something to do with the strain being patented. So legally, no one can grow said seeds without consent of the patent owner....if thats how they set it up.

Whatever the case, it's glaringly obvious how enforceable such a thing is when individuals purchase fruit with viable seed. That said, I'm sure the real aim is to prevent any commercial/business operations from legally marketing and subsequently profiting from sales of this strain of pepper. That priveledge being reserved to the individual(s) and or entity responsible for the patent and any vendors that they allow to do the same....for a fee of some sort most likely.

It is a PVP variety (Plant variety protection)

"What is PVP? Plant Variety Protection (PVP) is a patent on a sexually propagated plant variety. PVP protects rights of ownership for the people who develop and release a cultivar for a period of 20 years. At the same time, there is full disclosure of how the variety was developed, making information available to anyone who wants it so that additional genetic advances can be made."
http://cropandsoil.oregonstate.edu/cereals/PVP/pvp.htm
After reading this I find it strange how I've never heard any details about the development of the red savina. What were the parent plants and where is this full disclosure info located?

I read somewhere or heard from a Nursery that the patent ran out a couple years ago.
But now it doesn't matter.Bhuts etc. have taken it's place.
The nursery up the street said a few years ago they could get Red Savina plants but they would have to sell them at too high of a price because of the royalty they would have to pay to purchase plants for sale.
I believe I heard the name is copywrited still but the patent is not valid anymore.

Suposedly the red savina original seeds were a natural mutation.
I read that they found a red podded plant in the middle of a crop of orange habs.When they tried one it was super hot so they grew it out for however long to make sure it was stable and patented it.

I heard wrong,it's running out this year.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/showpvp.pl?pvpno=9200255

Plant Variety Protection Number: 9200255

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Variety: Red Savina
Experimental name or Synonym: <GNS 007/9201>
Taxon: Capsicum chinense Jacq.
Crop: Pepper
Applicant: Frank Garcia, Jr.
Date filed: 08/26/1992
Status date: 12/30/1993
Date issued: 12/30/1993
Years protected: 18
Number of pages: 14

Show GRIN Data

Plant Variety Protection Office
USDA-AMS, Beltsville, MD
Home Page
New Query

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USDA - ARS - GRIN

If it was indeed a natural mutation then it probably shouldn't qualify as "a sexually propagated plant variety"
I've heard the mutation story and I've also heard they were keeping the parent plant names secret. Not sure of the truth.

If it was indeed a natural mutation then it probably shouldn't qualify as "a sexually propagated plant variety"
I've heard the mutation story and I've also heard they were keeping the parent plant names secret. Not sure of the truth.

From this string just a couple things to clarify, one is that PVP is not a patent, nor is it a trademark. It is a form of intellectual property which covers (as mentioned above) sexually propagated plants that are new and distinct. So the mutation, natural or otherwise would not preclude the plant from qualifying for protection under PVP. When the PVP runs out anyone can then grow and sell the seed or plants of a red savina, however if the Red Savina is trademarked, and is still in effect which I assume it would be as trademarks can last for 70 years in some cases, then that seller cannot use the name without a license. Here is the complete PVP application and certificate for the Red Savina.

Neat stuff Medicinal Pepper. I find section 4 of the Novelty Statement particularly interesting.

"Red "Savina" Habanero is 50,000 Scoville Heat Units hotter in pungency than a Standard Habanero."

I believe Patowie pegged this one quite some time ago

I sold the Red Savina for one season many years ago.
It is trademarked, because Garcia inc. contacted me about not selling it unless I secured the seeds from them.
I declined....I was never impressed with it in any of our field testing.
It was difficult to grow, was inconsistent and overall just not that good...I think there are many other Habs that taste better too.
It's just yesterday's news.
It did hold the Guiness Record for the Hottest Pepper. I believe right before the Bhut Jolokia took over.
Pepper Joe
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance: :lol:

From their application it looks like the story about it being the only red habs. in the crop is supposed to be a true story.
Not an engeneered strain.
I really do like their strong Chinense taste-assuming the seeds I grew were real Savinas...
The pods from the plant were very hot-hotter than anything I'd eaten at the time(years ago)I like/liked them.
In fact I'm growing them again this year after several years of not growing them.
I also like white habaneros for their strong chinense taste.
I like heat but some of the superhots just don't have the flavor I'm looking for.
Love 7 pots and Scorpions in general for taste and heat.

They still hold a place for me because they were my first superhot all those years ago. I grew them for sauces and they were the hottest tested at the time although I believe that some of the chocolates that I grew then were hotter even if they werent recognised. I do like their flavour and they grew exceptionally well and were really prolific here in West Oz. The strain I grew was genuine GNS seed but I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting the same seed again.
Does anyone have any genuine GNS seed to share. I have a few types of RS growing this year but I am still not convinced that they are the real McCoy. The real RS is really deeply lobed like a guadalupe or antallaise caribbean.

Back