• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

rhm3769's growth-New pics, Butch T and Scotch Bonnet pods

Most recent, have a few earlier pics posted elsewhere.... Both are white habaneros, the first is about 6" tall, the second is about 8", both about 6 weeks from sprouting....

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Thanks.... Got a bit of sun today before this storm comes and they have to be moved inside.... Hoping it gives them enough to survive possibly a few days inside.... Will be posting some on the other plants I'm growing as they improve....

Nice beginning there, RHM; those seedlings
should really take off for you!

Good luck with your grow this year!

Thanks.... Eager to see if they really are white habaneros or not.... Got them from a buddy who bought them from a company that has a record of sending regular habanero seeds instead of what they sold....

What version of White habs are those?
I've got a couple (Peruvian and Giant) )going, too, and am not
sure what to expect. Some of the little Peruvian pods are pretty
hot for little guys!

Supposedly Peruvian. We'll see, I guess....

I'm not sure about the Peruvian variety, but I have a Yucatan White Hab that is more shrub-like with much smaller leaves. I'll be very interested to see what the pods look like when the plant starts producing. BTW, incredible growth your plants have for 6 weeks!

Here is a pic:

ywh.jpg

Nice start, I like the flavor of the Peruvian and the shape of the plants growth pattern..................lateral

I measured one of the leaves today, the biggest is about 4.5 inches long.... Pretty sure some of it can be due to frequent but extremely diluted miracle gro feedings, mixing some of the seed starting mix in with the monthly fertilizer mix and the lack of bugs.... The two down at work that get much less attention and waterings and feedings are much shorter with the same amount of leaves that are much smaller, as well.... They are in smaller pots, have been cookie monstered on by ants and haven't had much protection from sun wind and rain....

I thought about just letting the two at work die off as it was becoming too much of a distraction trying to find a spot that doesn't get too much sun and less direct wind and limited access by bugs, but when looking more closely at them, despite all the damage, they're growing more leaves between the stem and true leaves than my two in pictures....

That growth is pretty good for about 7 weeks of growth now? Didn't keep track of when they sprouted, I planted the seeds around June 15th, assuming a week for germination, they're at most 7 weeks growing now....

Not sure if it's just adjustment to moving back outside and I'll try to post a picture.... Within 12 hours of moving them back outside after the sun went down and before it came back up, some of the leaves on both plants are droopy, like a wet paper bag droopy.... The only difference between inside and outside the majority of the time since moving them back out is a 2 degree increase from 78 to 80F and an increase in humidity....

No change in color, no watering, no bugs, no wind....

I have other plants not pictured and not as big and they aren't droopy like these two....

While not completely recovered, after getting some sun, they perked up a bit.... Too much humidity for the leaves?

So these two decided they didn't need leaves and proceed to drop 3 each of the lower ones....

Those were mainly the ones drooping at night, while they were green they looked like they didn't have the same thickness and protective coating on the tops.... The rest of the plant appears fine.... Haven't been watered in over a week, been lightly spraying the surface with peroxide as the move from inside with low humidity to back outside after the storm and high humidity started some white growth on the top of the soil in spots.... Only these two pictured had the white stuff....

Random question, are Bolivian rainbow seeds difficult to germinate or do they require different conditions than habaneros? A month in starting mix and they didn't do anything but swell, have some in a moist paper towel inside a ziplock in a somewhat controlled thermal environment, between 80 and 87 for a week with not much other than swelling as well....

I have been lazy with pictures, but the scotch bonnets seem to be doing a bit better after separating the two into different pots.... When seperating, I noticed there wasn't any root growth after transplant for the bonnets and te butch Ts....

The two white habaneros at work have alot of new growth that is yellow that appear to want to turn green, one desperately needs a bigger pot.... It is almost like the new bag of potting soil is heavier than the last bag I had....

There isn't much of a choice on base out here, only one brand of soil they get from out in town but tons o options on weed, bug, and disease killer.... No fertilizers or anything unless you're lucky and find a thing of miracle gro or something but they always have food for roses.... Pot sizes are a joke as well, going up from an 11" pot to one slightly larger and alot taller and the price jumps like 5x.... Haven't seen anything as big out in town really other than the huge pots not meant to be moved once filled and used....

Not much new growth....

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

One of the dropped leaves, most aren't as bad as this one.... Any ideas?
IMG_0398.jpg

The unlabeled one is my scotch bonnet. All of these are at most 3 weeks old. Alitttle bit of growth since we had a decent amount of sun today....
IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Chocolate hab and Firecracker are no more.... Got to start some more....

So some research leads me to believe over feeding is the main cause here.... I haven't kept to a schedule or mixture with the miracle gro, sometimes it's about 1/3 strength and a few ml every other day and ranging up to 1.5 strength and a few ml every few days.... Between that and the fertilizer I have mixed in the soil after repotting, thinking flushing everything will help....

One thing I don't think I mentioned about the dropped leaf posted above, the brown areas didn't appear brown until after it had fallen, they were a darker green while still on the plant....

Only the two bigger white habanero plants have this going on....

Leaf yellowing is usually an indication of a nutrient deficiency.
I also had plants that looked like that whenever there was alot of constant rain and the soil was soggy for long periods of time.

Do scotch bonnets require more than the rest of my plants? Both bonnet plants perked up somewhat after seperating them in different pots, but the roots weren't competing for space as far as I could tell....

New growth has always been yellow/light green until they get bigger....

Back