• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ripening

crazy8 said:
So it wouldn't hurt if I made some more compost tea then? Or should I not even do that since I am supposed to stress them out?

Compost tea never hurts and no one said you were "supposed" to stress the plants. ;)

Patience is the best option, but you seem to want to rush the process. :D

Stressing the plant does have one other side effect; the ripe pods will usually be hotter.

Yeah I have heard of that happening to. Its not so much that I want to rush it...just getting a little impatient I guess :D

I also have cayenne with loads of green pods the first pods showed at the start of the month and there's no sign of colour change yet, I'm about to abandon them for a few days and I'm hoping they're going to be (alive) and some ripe when I get back!

(you can see the plants in my photostream below)

Well I will be leaving for a week come Monday so it will be exciting (I hope) to see what will happen once I return. Even my lady was saying "What are you going to do for a week of not being able to look at your plants every day?" I simply replied "Go nuts?" lol

Well so far over the weekend I have picked 5 ripe Cayenne's. They were kinda small in size but I do have some really really nice fat rippled ones that I am just waiting to see ripen. I am going to be on vacation all week so hopefully they do OK and I come hoe to a grip of red pods. But so far all seems to be going well.

Well as I stated before, all seems to be going well for now. Here are the fat little wrinkly ones Im just waiting to turn red. I have never seen Cayennes look like this but that may also be due to my noobness.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

crazy...just check it out...there are lots of strains of cayenne out there...must be hundreds...so pod shape varies greatly...

crazy8 said:
Well I have been using Foxfarms Beasty Blooms and I applied compost tea once in between using the Beasty Blooms. We water enough to keep the plants hydrated also. Maybe part of it is patients, but I will lay off the ferts and just see what happens. Since we are on the subject though, my friend had a cayenne plant last year that once you picked a full grown green pepper off the plant, it would turn red on its own after a couple hours. Has anyone heard of this or know why that would happen?

All (if not all then most) fruits ripen if they are exposed to ethylene gas. Therefore, if you take some unripened fruit and put it in a brown bag with other ripened fruit (not necessairily peppers) and close the top with something like a binder clip, the green fruits will ripen. The only problem with this method is that, for pepeprs at least, the skin does not stay crispy, but rather, it gets really wrinkly and chewy

groeatrepeat said:
All (if not all then most) fruits ripen if they are exposed to ethylene gas. Therefore, if you take some unripened fruit and put it in a brown bag with other ripened fruit (not necessairily peppers) and close the top with something like a binder clip, the green fruits will ripen. The only problem with this method is that, for pepeprs at least, the skin does not stay crispy, but rather, it gets really wrinkly and chewy

Sounds...er....delightful.....;)

crazy8 said:
Well so far over the weekend I have picked 5 ripe Cayenne's. They were kinda small in size but I do have some really really nice fat rippled ones that I am just waiting to see ripen. I am going to be on vacation all week so hopefully they do OK and I come hoe to a grip of red pods. But so far all seems to be going well.

There ya go, see what a full bottle of patience will do. :D

Well I am back from vacation and the FIRST thing I did was go take my stroll through the garden and WOW am I happy. On my three Cayenne's I have probably about 10 peppers ready to be picked in a few days. They are at that red but still a little green stage right now. I did however have one that was little but just a nice very bright red and screaming to be picked. Once I pick the bunch I am waiting for I will post up pics for you all.

Here are some nice pics of the colors coming through...
IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

And while photographing all of this I found this friendly lil guy on one of the Cayenne plants. Hopefully there are more. Looks young since he doesn't have spots yet.
IMG_0133.jpg

your pictures look very similar to the Cayennes I grew last year. And they too stayed green for a very long time. I got a bunch of red ones eventually but after 4+ months of growing I was forced to pick off most of them green. Still did the trick for hot sauces.

willard3 said:
Patience is the best fertilizer for chiles...........
Speaking of which, I was looking at my peppers at home before I left for work since I havent seen them in a week and I have a TON of nice huge Jalapenos and I noticed I also have some peter peppers starting, Joes long Cayennes and some Black Pearls. Cant wait to see them as they keep growing and more even towards harvest.

Well here is some pics of my plants at home...hope you all like, I know I do, I just about fell over when I saw all of these peppers when I got back. My potted Black Pearl...
IMG_2159.jpg

This is another Black Pearl which is actually in the garden and starting to fruit nicely...
IMG_2160.jpg

This is a Black Pearl that was crossed with something. Im not sure what it was crossed with since I got the seeds from a source and this is the first time planting them. All three Black Pearls came from the same batch of seeds. This one seems to be fruiting even better.
IMG_2162.jpg

And here is a VERY nice and active Jalapeno plant which is one of eight but there are only about two or three that are at this point of production right now.
IMG_2161.jpg

So out of curiosity, how many pods would a normal Jalapeno plant produce in a typical season? Keep in mind I live in Minnesota. I am just curious because a couple of these plants seem to be doing very well and Im trying to see if maybe its the fert I am using or something else, since I dont have anything else to compare my results to.

Back