• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Rock Island Arsenal

went to the rock island arsenal museum this weekend. quite a collection of guns there...second largest in the country. took a few pics while there..figured you all might enjoy them.

wall o' guns
IMG_5473s.jpg

IMG_5474s.jpg

IMG_5475s.jpg

IMG_5487s.jpg

bullet-proof/resistant window design for vehicles
IMG_5483s.jpg

british L119 105mm light gun
IMG_5495s.jpg

US T9E1 locust..37mm light tank
IMG_5497s.jpg

more large caliber guns
IMG_5498s.jpg

IMG_5504s.jpg

us M51 Skysweeper, 75mm antiaircraft gun
IMG_5505s.jpg

us M50 Ontos, 106mm self-propelled antitank gun
IMG_5502s.jpg

us T131, 280mm heavy motorized gun..the description of this one was interesting: "This is the experimental version of the M65 atomic cannon. Adopted in 1956, the cannon could fire both nuclear and conventional shells up to 18 miles. The cannon weighs 47 tons and is mobile. The prime mover consists of both a front and a rear truck that can reach a maximum speed of 30 mph. The atomic cannon was replaced by more mobile rockets in the mid 1960s." needless to say, this thing was BIG!
IMG_5507s.jpg

IMG_5519s.jpg

us T88, 7.2" multiple rocket launcher
IMG_5509s.jpg

us M3A1, 37mm antitank gun...the story on this one is kinda funny. imagine setting this up to start shooting at tanks, then watching the rounds bounce off. :wall:
IMG_5510s.jpg

us M31 Honest John, 762mm battlefield support missile
IMG_5511s.jpg

:cool:
neat pictures.

I'm not 100% sure (because I forgot) but I think my uncle was part of the 4th armored division under patton & he took part of the battle of the buldge. the only thing in question is the "4th armored div" but believe his company was "lighting bolt"

I have a pretty good arsenal myself, and lots of ammunition, but...I have not fired one of them in about 3 years....shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive...a country boy can survive........

i don't even have room for one each. :lol: don't own any guns personally..have thought about one day buying some and going out to the range. not something i plan on doing anytime soon though. i've shot several guns though, shotguns, rifles, pistols, even an M16 w/ blanks though. :( through the navy, i'll be getting training with pistols but i don't think we'll get anything more than that..at least without making any special requests or something..still doubt it since we don't have much as far as infantry goes.

True Story....

I stayed with my grandparents on my mothers side of the family once I got old enough to say what I wanted to do...mom and dad lived 32 miles away in Mobile.

My birthday is in August and on my 6th birthday, my grandmother handed me a .22 rifle. It was ordered from a JC Penny catalog (and yes, the catalog pages were used in the privy, a two seater to boot)...anyway it was a pump and would hold 11 long rifles or 17 shorts...my grandfather handed me a box of cartridges (50 long rifle) and set the rules of firearms forever. He simply said "Don't point this at anything you ain't gonna shoot, and don't shoot anything you ain't gonna eat"....

I grew up in the woods and swamps of south mississippi and guns were a way of life...

would be kinda bland in my viewpoint...just running the woods with a dog and a hog named Bessie...another true story for another time.....don't all kids grow up this way?

we had a .22 rifle and pistol but the only times my brother and i shot them were when we went to the range with my dad. he also has a 9mm browning hi-power which was fun to shoot..the only thing wrong with that gun is the nickel plating. sometimes the glare was a bit much while trying to use the sights.

Back